Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2008, 10:31 AM   #1

Sway Control??

The dealer that I bought my TT suggested getting sway control but when I mentioned the Reese dual cam sway control he said that basically that was for heavier loads than I would be hauling and that I should just go with the friction sway bar instead. My TT is a 2005 Surveyor SV234 that has a dry weight of just under 3,447 lbs. The GVWR on the trailer is only 5,480 lbs. Do you think his advice was on point as not needed the heavy duty sway control and that the friction would be sufficient enough?

2005 Surveyor SV234
2004 F-150 Supercrew Lariat / 5.4L / 3.73 Gears
Reese Friction Sway
Voyager Brake Controller
WD Setup
TWhaylen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 02:10 PM   #2
RJW

Trent,
I'm pulling a 30' xlite that grosses at 7800 with a 2006 expedition with tow package rated at 8200 max trailer wt, I have a equilizer friction sway hitch, although not done much pulling with the new set up yet, I dont think sway is gonna be a huge issue, but I drive carefully.

In the past I pulled a rig the size of yours with no sway control at all with a ford ranger.

All being said, no such thing as too much sway control,

especially since it is gonna be you and your family going down the highway, not some salesman,

One experience with the trailer pushing you around at 65 mph with the wife screaming and kids crying will make you wish you'd gone with the best sway control you can get.

Besides if it was too much for this rig, it will be just right when you up size

2006 Expedition 4x4 w/HD tow package
5.4L 4 speed auto w/OD 3.73
tow rated 8200
2008 Cougar XLite 30FKS
gvwr 7800

Alvarado TX
RJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 03:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJW View Post
Trent,
I'm pulling a 30' xlite that grosses at 7800 with a 2006 expedition with tow package rated at 8200 max trailer wt, I have a equilizer friction sway hitch, although not done much pulling with the new set up yet, I dont think sway is gonna be a huge issue, but I drive carefully.

In the past I pulled a rig the size of yours with no sway control at all with a ford ranger.

All being said, no such thing as too much sway control,

especially since it is gonna be you and your family going down the highway, not some salesman,

One experience with the trailer pushing you around at 65 mph with the wife screaming and kids crying will make you wish you'd gone with the best sway control you can get.

Besides if it was too much for this rig, it will be just right when you up size
I agree, we used to tow an ultralite w.o our reese set up and was kinda white knuckled when wind blew or we had to put on our brakes suddenly, some people or dealers will say you are overdoing it, but I would rather overdoit than underdoit, Are these even words? LOL anyway better to be safe, and this is only my opinion, do what is comfortable to you. Just a note our tow vehicle at the time was a 2003 Expedtion with the 5.4l