Old 06-04-2007, 11:12 AM   #1

Sweeping/mopping off awning?

Had our maiden voyage this weekend, and had an excellent time, despite the weather!

We were “breaking camp” in a light rain, and since we were in a wooded site, there was quite a bit of debris (twigs, leaves, misc) on the awning.
I wrapped a towel around the rod used to extend/retract the awning and did my best to remove most of it before stowing the awning.
Opened it up after getting home, and realized I didn’t do a very good job….

Wondering what type of broom/brush/mop I should buy or build to make this task easier.

Ran across this:
http://www.rvslidesweep.com/index.htm

Any other suggestions?

Old 06-04-2007, 12:11 PM   #2

$92

Too pricey for me

I just use my regular 'ol extendable handle brush and wrap a terrycloth towel around it to clean off the wet nasty stuff while stowing the awnings.

something like this http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...28227&src=SRQB I think wallyworld has something similar too

If it's dry, it usually falls right off so I don't bother.

I also try to extended everything after we get home also, especially if put away wet to let it dry and clean it up.

greg

Old 06-04-2007, 10:43 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to welshman599
According to A&E you shouldn't scrub a vinyl awning, but you can with a fabric one... I usually just spray off the loose stuff and when a good cleaning is needed I use Tide with bleach (A&E offers a formula with dish soap, blanc ahd water, but tide with bleach alternative works real good.) Slather it on the top side with a really soft brush or terry rig like Greg uses, roll it in for 10 minutes or so (rolling it in gets the soap on th underside) then roll it out and rince off. Comes pretty clean.

83 sweet sweet days camped in 2008 - not easy in my neck of the woods!
welshman599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 08:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by welshman599 View Post
According to A&E you shouldn't scrub a vinyl awning, but you can with a fabric one... I usually just spray off the loose stuff and when a good cleaning is needed I use Tide with bleach (A&E offers a formula with dish soap, blanc ahd water, but tide with bleach alternative works real good.) Slather it on the top side with a really soft brush or terry rig like Greg uses, roll it in for 10 minutes or so (rolling it in gets the soap on th underside) then roll it out and rince off. Comes pretty clean.
Welshman,

You so far have not let me down..... Another really good idea. Rolling the awning up for 10 minutes to get the soap/cleaner on the underside. Dang good idea. My dumb butt has been wiping it down from the underside dripping that crap all over me and having to wear safety glasses.

Great Tip!! You need to write that one up seperate and put in the "Tips and Tricks" section. Call it "Awning Cleaning" or sumthin.

For that I'll even throw in the

If you don't write it up I will..........

greg
Old 06-05-2007, 09:23 AM   #5

I've been using bleach + soap + water and applying it to the top, then rolling to soak for several minutes before rinsing off. I have been applying it using a long handled soft brush (car wash brush).

Here is a link with info on page 2:
http://www.dometicusa.com/pdf/Awnings.pdf

(This also has the do-not-scrub-warning for acrylic awnings)
Old 06-05-2007, 05:33 PM   #6

Send a message via MSN to welshman599
Quote:
Originally Posted by aintgotnun View Post
Welshman,

You so far have not let me down..... Another really good idea. Rolling the awning up for 10 minutes to get the soap/cleaner on the underside. Dang good idea. My dumb butt has been wiping it down from the underside dripping that crap all over me and having to wear safety glasses.

Great Tip!! You need to write that one up seperate and put in the "Tips and Tricks" section. Call it "Awning Cleaning" or sumthin.

For that I'll even throw in the

If you don't write it up I will..........

greg
Well as much as I'd Like to take credit for it, the idea is pretty much a rip off of A&E/Dometic's advice. I find a good soaping up top and a quick furling of the awning lets you get away from adding any to the bottom. Although I ususally have a wash mitt to slather some on the bottom edge where it's needed.

83 sweet sweet days camped in 2008 - not easy in my neck of the woods!
welshman599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by welshman599 View Post
Well as much as I'd Like to take credit for it, the idea is pretty much a rip off of A&E/Dometic's advice. I find a good soaping up top and a quick furling of the awning lets you get away from adding any to the bottom. Although I ususally have a wash mitt to slather some on the bottom edge where it's needed.
Still a good tip, rip off or not. Like I said, my knuckle-head has been doing it the hard way all these years, dripping soap and stuff all over me cleaning mine. Did you hear that "POP!!!" yesterday morning after I read your reply?? That was my head being removed from my 4th point of contact at a rapid rate

greg

Tags
awning