Motor Home to 5th Wheel 5 71.43%
5th Wheel to Motor Home 1 14.29%
Motor Home to 5th Wheel to Motor Home 0 0%
5th Wheel to Motor Home to 5th Wheel 1 14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-15-2014, 05:33 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Switching RV Types

The missus and I have been researching motor homes and 5th wheels in preparation for her retirement in less than 2 years. We are now leaning towards a 5th wheel and new truck vs. a motor home..........the cost about equals out.

I have seen some members post that they have gone from a motor home to 5th wheel, and others have done the reverse. I thought I would post a friendly little poll to show which way members switched, why, and if you are happy with your current RV type.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 06:01 PM   #2

Missing Travel Trailer to 5th Wheel.

TT to 5er.. Would not go back. If i won the lottery a big honking MH would be great with a Pickup Toad!

Old 09-15-2014, 06:30 PM   #3

Went from a tt to a 5er and love the 5er. We would not want to go back to a tt. Never owned a motorhome. They look nice if there are just 2 people.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:33 PM   #4

Slide in camper to a FW, I can see no MH in the near or far future.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:51 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Missing Travel Trailer to 5th Wheel.
Including the bumper pulls might make the poll too confusing. Many of us start with bumper pulls (that is what we have now), then move to something else. I am aware of most of the advantages and disadvantages of bumper pulls and 5th wheels, but want to learn why members think a 5th wheel or motor home is the best possible RV.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:17 PM   #6

I am new to the rv thing. I have been in and out of so many types of rvs over the last three years while searching. Settled on a TT. I don't see me moving to 5er or MH. I love the size and layout of mine! Do y'all plan to go full time rv??
Old 09-16-2014, 11:48 AM   #7

Each to his own but I like TT best but having said that if i were choosing between. 5er and MH it would be the 5er. If i had motor home would need to pull a car or pu so I would choose 5er. Have pu to go other places not wanting to dr mh.

Rockwood 2608WS
Paul
Old 09-16-2014, 08:32 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkGirl View Post
I am new to the rv thing. I have been in and out of so many types of rvs over the last three years while searching. Settled on a TT. I don't see me moving to 5er or MH. I love the size and layout of mine! Do y'all plan to go full time rv??
We plan on traveling several months each spring and again in the fall. Our current TT does a great job for a week or so, but the missus (and I to a certain extent) want more storage space, plus we have heard 5th wheels pull better than TTs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Paul View Post
Each to his own but I like TT best but having said that if i were choosing between. 5er and MH it would be the 5er. If i had motor home would need to pull a car or pu so I would choose 5er. Have pu to go other places not wanting to dr mh.
That is our current thinking, but that can change. A motor home pulling a small car, that once unhooked would easy to get around in , or a 5th wheel with a big honking truck to use for touring.......hmmmm.....

But you can't back a motor home and toad, and this ol' boy would probably get in a bind somewhere that I would have to unhook the toad.

So many pluses and minuses of each setup.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post
We plan on traveling several months each spring and again in the fall. Our current TT does a great job for a week or so, but the missus (and I to a certain extent) want more storage space, plus we have heard 5th wheels pull better than TTs.

That is our current thinking, but that can change. A motor home pulling a small car, that once unhooked would easy to get around in , or a 5th wheel with a big honking truck to use for touring.......hmmmm.....

But you can't back a motor home and toad, and this ol' boy would probably get in a bind somewhere that I would have to unhook the toad.

So many pluses and minuses of each setup.

There is no perfect answer.

Started Out With Nothing,
Still Have Most Of It Left!
Old 09-16-2014, 08:51 PM   #10

The "rule of thumb" seems to be - If you travel a lot you'll be happier in a MH due to the easy set up/break down. If you go somewhere and stay for an extended period you'll be happier in the 5th wheel and the increased living area. Another question is - do you need a truck anyway? Tow a boat, plow a driveway, haul stuff? Then just get a big truck and the 5th wheel.