Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Your Current RV vs. What You Had and Why
Motor Home to 5th Wheel 5 71.43%
5th Wheel to Motor Home 1 14.29%
Motor Home to 5th Wheel to Motor Home 0 0%
5th Wheel to Motor Home to 5th Wheel 1 14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-15-2014, 04:33 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Switching RV Types

The missus and I have been researching motor homes and 5th wheels in preparation for her retirement in less than 2 years. We are now leaning towards a 5th wheel and new truck vs. a motor home..........the cost about equals out.

I have seen some members post that they have gone from a motor home to 5th wheel, and others have done the reverse. I thought I would post a friendly little poll to show which way members switched, why, and if you are happy with your current RV type.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 05:01 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Missing Travel Trailer to 5th Wheel.

TT to 5er.. Would not go back. If i won the lottery a big honking MH would be great with a Pickup Toad!
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 05:30 PM   #3

Went from a tt to a 5er and love the 5er. We would not want to go back to a tt. Never owned a motorhome. They look nice if there are just 2 people.
chiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 05:33 PM   #4

Slide in camper to a FW, I can see no MH in the near or far future.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:51 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Missing Travel Trailer to 5th Wheel.
Including the bumper pulls might make the poll too confusing. Many of us start with bumper pulls (that is what we have now), then move to something else. I am aware of most of the advantages and disadvantages of bumper pulls and 5th wheels, but want to learn why members think a 5th wheel or motor home is the best possible RV.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:17 PM   #6

I am new to the rv thing. I have been in and out of so many types of rvs over the last three years while searching. Settled on a TT. I don't see me moving to 5er or MH. I love the size and layout of mine! Do y'all plan to go full time rv??
SharkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:48 AM   #7

Each to his own but I like TT best but having said that if i were choosing between. 5er and MH it would be the 5er. If i had motor home would need to pull a car or pu so I would choose 5er. Have pu to go other places not wanting to dr mh.

Rockwood 2608WS
Paul
Old 09-16-2014, 07:32 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkGirl View Post
I am new to the rv thing. I have been in and out of so many types of rvs over the last three years while searching. Settled on a TT. I don't see me moving to 5er or MH. I love the size and layout of mine! Do y'all plan to go full time rv??
We plan on traveling several months each spring and again in the fall. Our current TT does a great job for a week or so, but the missus (and I to a certain extent) want more storage space, plus we have heard 5th wheels pull better than TTs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Paul View Post
Each to his own but I like TT best but having said that if i were choosing between. 5er and MH it would be the 5er. If i had motor home would need to pull a car or pu so I would choose 5er. Have pu to go other places not wanting to dr mh.
That is our current thinking, but that can change. A motor home pulling a small car, that once unhooked would easy to get around in , or a 5th wheel with a big honking truck to use for touring.......hmmmm.....

But you can't back a motor home and toad, and this ol' boy would probably get in a bind somewhere that I would have to unhook the toad.

So many pluses and minuses of each setup.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post
We plan on traveling several months each spring and again in the fall. Our current TT does a great job for a week or so, but the missus (and I to a certain extent) want more storage space, plus we have heard 5th wheels pull better than TTs.

That is our current thinking, but that can change. A motor home pulling a small car, that once unhooked would easy to get around in , or a 5th wheel with a big honking truck to use for touring.......hmmmm.....

But you can't back a motor home and toad, and this ol' boy would probably get in a bind somewhere that I would have to unhook the toad.

So many pluses and minuses of each setup.

There is no perfect answer.

Started Out With Nothing,
Still Have Most Of It Left!
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:51 PM   #10

The "rule of thumb" seems to be - If you travel a lot you'll be happier in a MH due to the easy set up/break down. If you go somewhere and stay for an extended period you'll be happier in the 5th wheel and the increased living area. Another question is - do you need a truck anyway? Tow a boat, plow a driveway, haul stuff? Then just get a big truck and the 5th wheel.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:51 PM   #11

One thought is, if something goes wrong with the MH mechanics, it is motel time. I think you will have less issues like that with a 5er. MHO

2016 Silverado Dually
2016 Cedar Creek Champagne 38el
Total Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:13 PM   #12

MtnGuy, we had motorhomes beginning in 1975 ('72 Winnie Indian, '85 Pace Arrow and '95 Newmar Dutchstar). We never had a pusher MH. My wife got laid off in 2004 so we downsized to a '05 Flagstaff FW since I already had a Dodge Ram to pull it with. Last year we stepped up to the '10 Sandpiper. While I miss being able to ask DW to get me something to drink while driving down the road in a MH, I do not miss having to maintain the MH chasis. However, I never had concerns with tires on my MHs like I, and many others, have on my FWs (and TTs). Also, with most MHs having leveling systems, setting up is a bit quicker...BUT, if you get one of these new FWs with the 6 point leveling system you should set up just as quick as anyone with a MH. I hate to say it, but I think a MH is a little easier to maneuver around in. One other thing that one must consider is that while both MHs and FWs have steps, the FW ultimately has more steps with the 2 levels. All things considered, I'd be very pressed to go back to a MH. I love a FW.
2001 Centurion Elite Bowrider direct drive
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
kerrlakelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:38 PM   #13

[QUOTE=MtnGuy;702665] .

with a big honking truck to use for touring.......hmmmm.....

I personally like the big truck to tour around in can see better up higher and not setting on the road. Don't even like to ride in DW car in town feel like I might get smashed. Of course that is what I have rode in most of my life and at this point am not going to change that if I can help it
Old 09-16-2014, 11:03 PM   #14

Send a message via Skype™ to chuckw5kav
DW and I have a truck camper, went to MH (Class "C")
but we didn't pull a toad and if we wanted to got to
town we had to diconnect and re-connect, as well the
increased living area in each was the reason we kept
moving up. I don't believe we will ever go back to
a MH, I dove truck for number of years and I can put
the 5th wheel most any place and I love the storage
area
W5KAV
Last years Camping 125 days
This years Camping 150 an still going
chuckw5kav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:21 AM   #15
Camper Less Camping

Like most, we have gone from tenting to TT's and fifth wheel (recently sold) and our sights are set on a MH and not looking back!
We've had the opportunity to drive and use friends MH's and I got to say, much more convenient in setting up, driving and the whole experience feels better compared to previous units.
Also, we do a lot of weekend non-camping mini trips with the kids and it'll be so nice to park in the back of a parking and setup with the conveniences of home!
Also, like the idea of using a jeep to get around the back roads when we travel vs a large truck, not to mention a dually if towing a heavier fifth wheel.
When at home, I don't use a large truck for work, etc so it'll be convenient to drive a smaller vehicle for the DD.

Just my 2 cents

Old 09-17-2014, 08:14 AM   #16

I think that you have to decide which transportation you prefer once you arrive at a destination & if you need a pickup. A MH needs a toad to get around while a 5r has big ton truck with dual rear wheels, if you listen to the weight police. Any pickup is hard to park even in shopping centers taking up 1 1/3 spaces (I park far out & just enjoy the hike). Our MH Canadian friends have no problems with their Jeep toad, just don't back up. They use the Jeep daily when they are not camping & have no need of a pickup. This gets you to the other question, do you need a pickup or would the toad be you transportation when you are not using the MH?

I think I would look for a barely used MH about this time of year.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:26 AM   #17

We went from a pop-up, light weight TT, more heavy duty TT with slides, to out current FW. We often talked about if we would ever go to a MH. We pretty much decided a MH is not in our future. We love our FW. Considering you usually have to tow a vehicle with you any how, owning a MH, we would rather just tow a FW. It seems with the FW us get more usable space for the size and you can use your TV when not pulling your FW. One obvious advantage of a MH is you can move around when it is on the road. A friend of ours wife has health issues and the MH works great for them since she has mobility issues. But for us FW now and in the future.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:12 PM   #18

We always seem to want what we do not have. That why there are used RV out there at bargain prices.

We are all helping our economy.
Got to keep the RV industry thriving.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 08:48 PM   #19

I went from a fiver to a motorhome. DW and I love it, ease of set up, long trips the DW can use the restroom and not have to stop, you don't necessarily have to pull a toad, before we were set up to pull our Jeep we rented cars when we arrived at our destinations. You won't find any fiver that has to cargo space of a DP.

Our fiver was very nice but we prefer the MH.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:09 PM   #20

I agree "with to each their own". No one situation fits all types. I once thought a popup would be all me and DW would ever need. After the 5th child the rolling bedroom got to be too small. And like most, we started form tent to pup and now a hybrid tt. The most important thing is to ask what do you need it for and where is it going to sit? Do you want to pay for a tow vehicle or a towed vehicle? I like to destination travel verses just going to a campground and sit. My preference is something that sets up quick and then we take off and see the sights. Others like to just "get away" and that is perfectly fine too. Still have to work for a living but we squeezed in 40 camping nights (Busch Gardens, Cape Cod MA, and Old Orchard Beach ME) just some of the places we visited this year.