Old 12-04-2012, 05:52 PM   #11
95% of my camping is dry camping in NY State Parks. I'll play around on a campsite, until I get at least one channel. Even at campgrounds 70 miles distant to the closest TV transmitter, I can usually eek out a signal on at least one channel. Need to do your homework, and I use Not that I watch a lot of TV, I don't. Most evenings are spent in front of a fire, but I do like to get the local news/weather just to keep up on events.

KQ2N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:02 PM   #12
We haven't done much television watching, but our new camper has THREE sets. Our house only has one. :-)

We are also trying to retire and planning to spend more time actually in the camper instead of just driving for a few weeks vacation. So, we bought a DishNetwork Tailgater. It appears to work very well. We already had the receiver at the house and weren't using it, so we didn't have to purchase another one. Since we were already paying for the service, the only cost was the satellite. We used it over the Thanksgiving holiday so that the grandkids could watch cartoons.

I am please with the price, performance and ease of use for this setup.

Let's Motor!!!

stonekeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:26 PM   #13
We also carry a satellite dish (DirecTV) DH is great with finding signal. Over RV's, through trees, once over a bluff!!!! I love my TV in the mornings and when I am going to sleep.... such a bad habit!!

Felicia & Jeff - Missouri
2013 Columbus - 320 RS 2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2012 Camping 59 DAYS; 2013 50 DAYS; 2014 WAITING
Earth Station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:52 PM   #14
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
We boondock to the greatest extent possible. We live in a big city. Camping is a way to get away from it all.

I don't watch TV at home much. Can' imagine why I would watch it when I could be sitting around the fire with my family. A nice glass of brandy. Some fresh baked chocolate chip cookies. Smores baked over the fire. Conversation to catch up on what the kids (29 and 32) are doing.

To really appreciate the comforts that a TT or MH bring to camping, go backpacking for a few days.

The 2 reasons I love camping so much are to enjoy the outdoors and to enjoy quality time with my wife & kids. And whether it's going for hikes, a bike ride or sitting by the campfire, we love getting away from the gravitational pull of the TV. Like most families, we get too much of that when we're at home.

Everyone is different, but not having TV while we're camping works for us. But we were surprised when our RV dealership told us if we wanted to buy a new trailer without a TV, it would pretty much have to be a special order!
2009 Roo 21RS
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 w/ tow pkg
Nights camped in 2014:29 | 2013:33 | 2012:32 | 2011:33 | 2010:30
RockyMtnHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:16 PM   #15

I guess I like to mess with the campfire and enjoy it, all though it got pretty dang hot here in Ks. this summer. Wifey couldnt figure out why I wanted a campfire when it was 102 outside. (75 and nice inside the Cardinal)
Probbly the only reason we turn the TV on much is to check on the weather when it gets stormy out. Spent one night mostly in the shelter of the ladies bathroom because of tornados. Cell phones work about as good for storms though........ We also have a NOA weather radio too. Good ole Kansas weather
"Aint never nuthing easy"
jdadoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:58 PM   #16
U-verse works well for us. We can download shows to iPhone and watch on tv screen in tt. Works pretty good. Just need to use wifi to download, can do that most coffee shops, grocery stores, etc. Delete when done, download more watch, delete, repeat. I you have an iPad (I don't) you can watch on that as iPhone is a really tiny screen. Just another option.

Brenda and John
'14 Ram 3500 MCSB 6.7L HO PullRite 16K S/G, Grey Columbus 320RS Camped '14 - 146 days/'15 - 196 days
USN-EOD(Ret), Master Chief, 30 yrs,
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote