Old 12-04-2012, 04:19 PM   #1

T.V.

We are new kinda a rving what people do when your in cg with no tv hook up and you roof top ant. doesn't get the signal.We at home are on a bundle package tv internet phone all thru the cable co.Time Warner.Do a lot of cg not offer tv hook up?That has to be the big thing my wife doesn't like about the rv she loves everything else.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:46 PM   #2
Site Team

For state and federal campgrounds here in SoCal do not offer cable TV. So far I only come across one county campground that has cable TV in my area. Private campgrounds might have a better chance of having cable TV.

When I don't have over-the-air TV channels then I will watch DVDs. If I don't have full hook ups then I use a portable DVD player and change it while driving for sight seeing.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:13 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Our experience is that you seldom get over the air TV reception in state/national parks. They're usually well treed and some distance from cities. If you don't mind camping in a field close to major cities, you'll get lots of channels over the air.

If you want cable hook-up, it's most common in privately owned campgrounds.

The other alternative is a satellite set-up...don't have one so someone else will have to provide details on that.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:39 PM   #4

We boondock to the greatest extent possible. We live in a big city. Camping is a way to get away from it all.

I don't watch TV at home much. Can' imagine why I would watch it when I could be sitting around the fire with my family. A nice glass of brandy. Some fresh baked chocolate chip cookies. Smores baked over the fire. Conversation to catch up on what the kids (29 and 32) are doing.

To really appreciate the comforts that a TT or MH bring to camping, go backpacking for a few days.
ATV trailer for the following toys
2008 Yamaha WR250R,2009 Honda CRF150F
2008 Polaris Scrambler 500
PopBeavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:45 PM   #5
camping

none of the State Parks in Indiana offer any TV service - as has most of the state parks we have stayed at in other states. have been to a few private campgrounds that had cable - only problem with that is we took the TV out of the camper - like pop said above applies to us - he might have to school me in the brandy and cookies!

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:49 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Trell, my DW is kind of like yours. She is fine with no TV, until we go in for the night and then she has to have it. As for us, we have DirecTV and have only been to a couple of parks that had to many trees to get signal.
awwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:59 PM   #7

We live in the country. We are trying to retire(65/62) and move south for the winters.Sitting around a camp fire is great but every now and then a little TV would be good. Were very active people but no tv for 4mos doesn't seem like something we want to do.The M/H won out over the place in Florida.Wife loves the beach...go figure.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by awwall View Post
Trell, my DW is kind of like yours. She is fine with no TV, until we go in for the night and then she has to have it. As for us, we have DirecTV and have only been to a couple of parks that had to many trees to get signal.
can you tell us how this works and the cost. Here we can switch to the phone co. for internet and phone then they have dish network with their package.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:27 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Phlunky

We have directv as well, I purchased a vu cube from another member here last year which makes set up real easy and I get all the same programing that I have at home..
Days camped in 2013 = 30 final.
Days camped in 2014 = 27 final.
igkra.com
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by trell View Post
We live in the country. We are trying to retire(65/62) and move south for the winters.Sitting around a camp fire is great but every now and then a little TV would be good. Were very active people but no tv for 4mos doesn't seem like something we want to do.The M/H won out over the place in Florida.Wife loves the beach...go figure.
I see your point. We only camp for weekends plus an occasional week here and there.

If you have internet reception (not likely) then you can stream a lot of TV shows. But you also need bandwidth to do that.

And a DVD collection will become repetitive .

ATV trailer for the following toys
2008 Yamaha WR250R,2009 Honda CRF150F
2008 Polaris Scrambler 500
PopBeavers is offline   Reply With Quote