Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2014, 07:46 AM   #21

Get the phone ap, "Dish for my RV". You have to pay for it but it works perfect. If you put your Tailgater on the ground then you have to have your phone on the ground to check the sky for the satellites, you can't just stand beside it with your phone and expect it to see the same thing the Tailgater is looking at. If there is so much as a tree limb in the way it will show you.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:18 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaulsen View Post
Use mine all the time.
Glad to hear someone using one of these, I will try the phone apps mentioned in this tread but I also want something more mechanical and will not fail because of no cell service. (no school like the old school)
2013 Ram 2500 6.7 Diesel
Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:35 AM   #23

I use Dishpointer AR Pro on my Droid and it works great! I think it cost me a couple of buck, but it is worth it. I set my dish up on a tripod and manually align. Usually about 15 minutes.
Augmented Reality App – the Next Generation Satellite Finder | DishPointer.com

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:41 AM   #24

BTW, no matter what device or app you use, you do need to have the device down low at the same height as the dish or tailgater, so you can 'see' what the antenna will 'see'.

Old 10-01-2014, 12:50 PM   #25

I shave always called Dish when I'm in a new location to reorient programing, etc. Works like a champ. They walk you throw the steps on your Dish "Setup" procedure.
tyke8319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 01:42 PM   #26

I just point rear of Tailgater to the north and hit setup for the state I am in and have never had a problem. Get 119 / 110 / 129 with no problems, takes maybe 5 mins.
Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 02:43 PM   #27

Is it a big issue with most folks? I guess I'm like Forbes.. just plunk it down and hit setup. I've used mine just about daily for the past couple of years and have only had to move it half a dozen times when it wouldn't lock up.

Knock on wood... of course, now that I said that it's going to start giving me grief, right? LOL
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 03:12 PM   #28
Mod free 5er

I can mount mine on the pin box, 3 different heights on the ladder and the old stand by on a tripod(last choice).
Old 10-01-2014, 04:02 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
Is it a big issue with most folks? I guess I'm like Forbes.. just plunk it down and hit setup. I've used mine just about daily for the past couple of years and have only had to move it half a dozen times when it wouldn't lock up.

Knock on wood... of course, now that I said that it's going to start giving me grief, right? LOL
Guess I should keep my big mouth shut, like you I will never get it to work right again.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:03 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbes View Post
I just point rear of Tailgater to the north and hit setup for the state I am in and have never had a problem. Get 119 / 110 / 129 with no problems, takes maybe 5 mins.
Most of the time I do the same.....a few clicks and no problem ....but what do you do if your campsite has tree cover with a few openings?
2013 Ram 2500 6.7 Diesel
Old 10-01-2014, 04:25 PM   #31

Quote:
Guess I should keep my big mouth shut, like you I will never get it to work right again.
Funny how it always seems to work that way don't it!
Old 10-01-2014, 04:35 PM   #32

DishPointer Augmented Reality by DP Technologies Ltd https://appsto.re/us/9MQqt.i

This one helped in a park above Hershey, PA. Had to move about three feet to get all satellites. Between the mountain and trees it was the hardest park I have ever been in. Like others normally never had to many problems. Just have to pick your sites and sometimes it slightly full.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 04:36 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Price View Post
.but what do you do if your campsite has tree cover with a few openings?
Mine came with 50' of cable so it's really never been an issue. I just try to set it out in a reasonably clear area. Another poster mentioned that even a branch in the way gave them trouble, but that hasn't been my experience. On occasion I'll toss it up on the roof, but for the most part I just set it and forget it without too much thought. I may not be getting EVERY channel available, but I've never had much of an issue picking up the local news and the major networks. Gotta have my masterchef and the walking dead.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:45 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
Mine came with 50' of cable so it's really never been an issue. I just try to set it out in a reasonably clear area. Another poster mentioned that even a branch in the way gave them trouble, but that hasn't been my experience. On occasion I'll toss it up on the roof, but for the most part I just set it and forget it without too much thought. I may not be getting EVERY channel available, but I've never had much of an issue picking up the local news and the major networks. Gotta have my masterchef and the walking dead.
The Walking Dead...less than 2 weeks.....heck yeah!
2013 Ram 2500 6.7 Diesel
Old 10-01-2014, 04:55 PM   #35

Quote:
The Walking Dead...less than 2 weeks.....heck yeah!
I'm a full time boondocker.. not a barbarian! Some things you just can't compromise in life.. a decent cup of coffee, fresh fish, and The Walking Dead. LMFAO

Old 10-01-2014, 04:59 PM   #36

Quote:
Most of the time I do the same.....a few clicks and no problem ....but what do you do if your campsite has tree cover with a few openings?
I carry a 50 foot cable and also a 100 foot with a barrel connector to join the two together if needed. The unit will work fine up to about 300 feet. I have put the Tailgater on top of RV and used a bungee cord to hold it.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:29 PM   #37

Quote:
I carry a 50 foot cable and also a 100 foot with a barrel connector to join the two together if needed. The unit will work fine up to about 300 feet. I have put the Tailgater on top of RV and used a bungee cord to hold it.
300', I just kinda figured it would lose signal after a 100'.
Thanks for the info

My last campsite did loose part of a tree (still didn't help).
2013 Ram 2500 6.7 Diesel
Old 10-02-2014, 07:06 AM   #38

When you guys just "plop" down your Tailgater, are you getting local programing, which also includes the major networks? Depending on my location, I have to switch LNB's. Yesterday, we arrived in Mason City, Iowa and I assumed the eastern arc LNB would be the right one. Bad assumption. I had to switch back to the western arc LNB and move and re-align the dish. I also have to contact Dish (I usually use chat) and have my service address changed to get the right programing. I did not get a Tailgater because we have a Hopper and wanted to continue to use it.

Old 10-03-2014, 05:48 AM   #39
Who Dares, Wins

I only get locals if I am close to home. I do not change it since it would mess up the home dvr. I believe the gator only gets western arc. I figure I have the trailer's ota antenna if I want some local channels.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 07:43 AM   #40

When I call Dish to have them turn on my receiver I can request local channels. As doc73 mentioned it cuts off local channels at home. I found this out the hard way. We came home from camping and my wife sat down to enjoy a weeks worth of recorded soap operas. There were none because they came on local home channels. To say she was not happy is an understatement.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote