Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2015, 03:07 PM   #1

Tailgater & Dish 211z Receiver

Hey Everyone ,
I have a few questions......First- I like to know who is using this setup?? Second - Has anyone had this problem, you setup the complete system and after you have HDTV you say go to dinner and turn everything off. Then when you come back the system is completely off....just like you first got to camp and you have go through the whole thing again scan, acquiring single, downloading guide. I talked to Dish and had me Disable Sleep mode..didn't help. When we purchased tailgater at the Tampa Super show Dish said may be in it (tailgater) so we got replacement, but still had the problem but was going to wait till next trip and check well we are on next trip and still have it. So wanted to check with you all.......thanks for any help or comments
plshilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 06:28 PM   #2

Yes, I have this exact setup plus DVR. When you say 'turn everything off' are you turning off the 211Z? If so then that is your problem.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 07:02 PM   #3

I also have the same set up and the only time I have to reset it is if I unplug the receiver or the tailgater gets moved. Also when it gets updates it has to be reset. You can schedule what time it updates to your convenience
Old 01-28-2015, 07:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
Yes, I have this exact setup plus DVR. When you say 'turn everything off' are you turning off the 211Z? If so then that is your problem.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K
If that were the case every time you turn off the receiver at home you would have to re-program. Turning off the receiver should not cause what you have. Sometimes if the tailgater is on the ground and something passes in front of it (car, people , etc.) it may lose lock on and re-program might have to be accomplished. I put mine on the roof for this issue. Have been using tailgater for 2 years (a lot) and have not had this issue. I do use the remote the same as at home.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 08:24 PM   #5

Ok first Thanks for the reply's......problem we have is if I leave the 211z On it goes off during the night and in the morning the green light is off...I am thinking the problem IS in the 211z. We plan to find the receipt and have a Dish tech check everything out when we get back home this weekend, I will keep everyone in the loop.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by plshilo View Post
Ok first Thanks for the reply's......problem we have is if I leave the 211z On it goes off during the night and in the morning the green light is off...I am thinking the problem IS in the 211z. We plan to find the receipt and have a Dish tech check everything out when we get back home this weekend, I will keep everyone in the loop.
I leave mine on all night also. That's how I discovered the up dating process if the receiver is on it shuts down to update I scheduled it to update in the day time when I'm not usually watching it . Play with the setting to change the up date times.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:08 AM   #7

If you cut all the power off it will have to re start. I have mine set to update about 5am... The receiver is turned off in the morning but there is still power so a re start is not necessary. When I am dry camping and not running the generator ro inverter power is lost and I have to re start the sat seach. Since I am in one location for a few weeks I usually will switch to my manual dish so I don't have to go through the setup all the time..
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 05:32 AM   #8

Went through the same deal with mine. If it hasn't been used for a while (and DISH has several updates and code pushes in the pipeline), it needs to go through several restart cycles to complete all the updates. And, it doesn't do them all at one time - they seem to have a very intermittent process to complete this.

I contacted tech support (instead of customer service) and asked if they knew of any new updates they were pushing to the boxes since the last time I had the box/dish up and running. At least this gave me a frame of reference for what to expect. Some of the software updates do take a while to fully complete, requiring several power/up down full cycles.

The thing that bothered me was that when updating, sometimes the box doesn't automatically come back up again, hence requiring a manual powering back up.

Not exactly an answer, but at least sharing my experience with it (I have a 211k).
go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:20 AM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Same setup with no issues.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:33 AM   #10

Same Dish setup & haven't had this issue.
2011 Ram Laramie 2500 CC 4X4 6.7 Cummins
2015 Columbus 320RS
"Where ever you go, there you are" Buckaroo Banzai
Goukcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 11:50 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1l243 View Post
If you cut all the power off it will have to re start. I have mine set to update about 5am... The receiver is turned off in the morning but there is still power so a re start is not necessary. When I am dry camping and not running the generator ro inverter power is lost and I have to re start the sat seach. Since I am in one location for a few weeks I usually will switch to my manual dish so I don't have to go through the setup all the time..
I should add that even with the manual dish there is a reset process but without the sat aiming. Just less wear and tear when powering off the system several times a day when dry camping...
Old 01-29-2015, 12:28 PM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Receiver is always "on" even when turned off
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 12:35 PM   #13

True, unless power is cut like unplugged or total loss of power then the reset process starts again. With a Tailgator that means switch check, sat aiming and program download each time...
Old 01-29-2015, 05:15 PM   #14

Ok here is the latest, reset updates to 5pm est. So when it did updates it Did ask to either do them or continue to watch live tv...I said to do them and it did go through switch check, aiming then back to live tv. So I still plan to check with tech's and may Replace 211z.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:30 PM   #15

I have the same set up and I turn it off when not in use. No problem when turning it back on. My issue with Dish is getting it set up after a lapse in service. We don't use it if the GC we are at has good cable. We will have it off for a couple of months and when I restart service it is a major hassle. Always two or three calls to get it right. I would think you have an issue with the box or you are losing power to the dish itself. Do you run your cable through the cable TV hook up or did you run a coax direct to the box. I had issues with the FR installed coax with picture quality and losing power. I drilled a hole in my basement and ran a coax to the box. Much better.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 05:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
I have the same set up and I turn it off when not in use. No problem when turning it back on. My issue with Dish is getting it set up after a lapse in service. We don't use it if the GC we are at has good cable. We will have it off for a couple of months and when I restart service it is a major hassle. Always two or three calls to get it right. I would think you have an issue with the box or you are losing power to the dish itself. Do you run your cable through the cable TV hook up or did you run a coax direct to the box. I had issues with the FR installed coax with picture quality and losing power. I drilled a hole in my basement and ran a coax to the box. Much better.
We don't have Any problems with coax in the coach....with either Dish, cable, or even air tv. TV works perfect. We do have a buddy that did drill in the back if his 32.5 and install and connector because of FR cable. Anyway we will Keep Checking. ...
Old 01-29-2015, 06:05 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by plshilo View Post
We don't have Any problems with coax in the coach....with either Dish, cable, or even air tv. TV works perfect. We do have a buddy that did drill in the back if his 32.5 and install and connector because of FR cable. Anyway we will Keep Checking. ...
We don't have any problem using the FR coax for cable tv. it works fine. The coax powers your dish so that is why I ran a line direct to the dish from the receiver. I think that the Tailgater is the only one that gets power from through the coax.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:01 PM   #18

We have the same set up. Don 't press the top red power button or you will have to run through the set up all over again. We just use the bottom red button marked tv and do not ever have a problem. If the power goes off, then you will have to set up again.

By aqll means, have the box checked out by a tech person is this keeps happening.
Reb Kitt is offline   Reply With Quote