Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2016, 01:15 PM   #21
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcortez View Post
Time I have gobs of.....inclination to drive anywhere beyond the Rockies, not so much.
A thousand miles of corn and wheat fields is not my thing. I am a mountain man

Fly there?....well dangit all....I never thought of that.....great idea!!
I have already penciled it out on travel expenses to Ohio and back to Las Vegas....cracking the nuts out of a $1000 bill.
I am sure I could fly there and back for less??
Hmmm. If you fly there, what will you use to tow with? Are you going to buy your T.V. there also?
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 01:20 PM   #22

OP- what do you think any dealer is going to say over the phone????? They don't know anything about you. You could be another dealer chumming the waters.

I just sold my motorbike yesterday. I asked $7k and had calls from guys saying "I'll give you $5k" I said no thanks. When they then asked what will you take, I said make me an offer. They said $5k. No thanks. Bye.

You claim- "Frankly I am tired of the run around and the BS" well how do you think they feel when they get a dozen calls a day from guys saying they only want to pay $4k less than the asking price just over the phone and not taking any initiative and effort to actually GO to the dealer and haggle.

In business, there is an old adage that goes something like this- Who do you take care of first? The person sitting at home on the sofa making a call asking you about the best price they can get for an item whilst wasting your time, or the person who made the effort to go out in the weather and travel to your store to see you in person?

In Canada, I saw the same 2306 for sale at 2 dealerships, 4000km apart. My local one was $30k and the far away one was $25k. But when I did a photo comparison between the units, they were outfitted with completely different items and the cheaper one had things missing like an awning for example. The cost of me going there and/or having it transported and then having to pay taxes again on it in my own province wasn't worth it.

I think you are being unfair by calling all these other salesguys/dealers "jerks" when all you are doing is cold calling and not actually going to see them in person. There is one common denominator here.

What happens when your new trailer will break down and you need warranty work done on it? Your local FR dealer won't know who you are since you have no relationship with them, so your unit would go to the very back of the line and any chance of getting a "speedy repair" will never exist. Your choice.

I'm out of energy to write any more on this.
Nights Camped 2017 [63]
Nights Camped 2018 [27]
Nurek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 01:23 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbillsmith View Post
Hmmm. If you fly there, what will you use to tow with? Are you going to buy your T.V. there also?
I pondered that very same thing.....
It's my understanding from the suggestion by another commenter was to fly there, do the PDI thing and arrange transport back to Las Vegas or someplace in the middle where I could go from an airport to the predetermined delivery location.....say Denver.

It's either that or drive the 2000 miles one way with my TV, PDI it and hitch up for a road trip back out West.
Old 12-04-2016, 01:35 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurek View Post
OP- what do you think any dealer is going to say over the phone????? .
I am expecting them to say "XX is our best price and if you would like to discuss it further, please stop by our dealership and let's talk"..

Nope.....they won't do.....hence the "jerk" observation.
Harsh perhaps but that is my call to make.

I have sold vehicles privately before and if anyone calls or sends an email, asking what my price is, I politely tell them it's the price I have listed on the ad and if they would like to drop by and discuss it all.....please do so.

The serious people will then ask my address......the bottom feeders go on to the next ad.

If any person doesn't have the courtesy to tell a caller, or emailer, anything about the price, I don't want to do business with them.

And this particular dealer had one of those ads that say "click here for best price".....then there is no such thing coming out of their mouths other than lame sales tactics that I don't want any part of.
Old 12-04-2016, 01:44 PM   #25
Oklahoma Proud

I think you all are being extremely short sighted or just dont realize shipping costs if your gripe is your local dealer being $2-3k higher.
Obviously if you are in cali or Arizona shipping from indiana to there is going to be right at $2,000 or more. So honesty you cant expect a dealer there (or Oregon ) to sell it for the same price as a dealer that is 100 miles from the factory. So yes if you want to haul it yourself, you will save money, but shipping is right around $1.69 a mile plus tolls and fuel surcharge. Add to that cost if you work and have to take a week off. Theres a couple grand-ish more figured into the cost if so.
But you all do your math and see how it works.

I personally went and picked up a custom car haul trailer i had built yesterday. I could have sent someone to get it, but i wanted to lay my own eyes on it to make sure it was just as i had ordered it. It was a 439 mile round trip and about 8 hours out of my day, but better to get any problems resolved before it was hauled away.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 01:45 PM   #26

Quote:
I am expecting them to say "XX is our best price and if you would like to discuss it further, please stop by our dealership and let's talk"..

Nope.....they won't do.....hence the "jerk" observation.

Harsh perhaps but that is my call to make.

I have sold vehicles privately before and if anyone calls or sends an email, asking what my price is, I politely tell them it's the price I have listed on the ad and if they would like to drop by and discuss it all.....please do so.

The serious people will then ask my address......the bottom feeders go on to the next ad.

If any person doesn't have the courtesy to tell a caller, or emailer, anything about the price, I don't want to do business with them.

And this particular dealer had one of those ads that say "click here for best price".....then there is no such thing coming out of their mouths other than lame sales tactics that I don't want any part of.

So you won't drop your price on the phone, but you expect a dealer to?

There is something called "Minimum Advertised Price" rules from product manufacturers hence the "click here for best price".... also why you have probably seen add to cart to see price on other items. May also be why they won't drop price over the phone. Anyway, they may not be shady just actually following the rules set forth by manufacturer.
Old 12-04-2016, 01:50 PM   #27
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul GA View Post

There is something called "Minimum Advertised Price" rules from product manufacturers hence the "click here for best price".... also why you have probably seen add to cart to see price on other items. May also be why they won't drop price over the phone. Anyway, they may not be shady just actually following the rules set forth by manufacturer.
Yes it seems the OP is kind of expecting someone else to treat him differently than he treats others.
Golden rule kind of works both ways.

Ill ask a dealer I've bought from in the past their best price over the phone and then ill still hagle, but i have history with them too.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 01:52 PM   #28

I have purchased two different travel trailers direct from wholesale dealers in Indiana this way. I did not have any issues either time, thankfully, but I would definitely agree with and earlier comment reference having the dealer AND the driver BOTH sign a paper noting any (or NO) scratches, dents, broken parts, etc., and then you and the driver BOTH do a walk around AND a walk through to inspect everything BEFORE you sign to take delivery. In both of my experiences the driver was basically knowledgeable about the operation of slides, electronic components, running gear, etc. IF you notice any issues after his departure, note them and immediately (or ASAP, but certainly within 1-2 days) contact your selling agent at the dealer and inform him of the problem. At that point your 12-month warranty should come into play for you.
Jobecka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 01:55 PM   #29

Quote:

I understand all that and thank you.
Although I don't negotiate over the phone or emails,
the potential buyer knows up front, via the ad what my price is.

I never asked this particular dealer to drop the price.
Simply asked what is your best price.
I never got any price out of them.
Just the standard sales tactics.

I am sure the salesman has been trained to refrain from giving a "best" price over the phone or emails, but I do expect them to at least tell me what their price is......best or not.
They couldn't do it.
Old 12-04-2016, 01:57 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobecka1 View Post
I have purchased two different travel trailers direct from wholesale dealers in Indiana this way. I did not have any issues either time, thankfully, but I would definitely agree with and earlier comment reference having the dealer AND the driver BOTH sign a paper noting any (or NO) scratches, dents, broken parts, etc., and then you and the driver BOTH do a walk around AND a walk through to inspect everything BEFORE you sign to take delivery. In both of my experiences the driver was basically knowledgeable about the operation of slides, electronic components, running gear, etc. IF you notice any issues after his departure, note them and immediately (or ASAP, but certainly within 1-2 days) contact your selling agent at the dealer and inform him of the problem. At that point your 12-month warranty should come into play for you.

I like it......personal experience.
Thank you very much.

On edit.....I feel pretty confident that those dealers use people who are familiar with the various operating features of various RV's.
If transport drivers have no clue of the difference between a slide and a propane tank and haul alfalfa as their full time job, it would make sense the dealer would not be using them for transporting much more than old trade in batteries.
Old 12-04-2016, 02:22 PM   #31

I bought mine recently from RVW and was very pleased. We chose to pick it up..$1600 and 900 miles. The only mistake we made was driving straight in to have more time. It ended up taking 18 hours with stops and minor lost. We camped back and would do it again.
In the paper work from them you cannot refuse an RV for damage other than the outside(driver responsible) and I want to check it out before I took possession.
We have an entry level trailer and saved $6000 after pick-up and camp back over local.

There is very pretty country in Kentucky and Ohio. IMO lots of hills
We went through Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky, touched Indiana and a long way into Ohio.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 02:40 PM   #32

Spent 40 years in the business and I wouldn't do it PERIOD. What if something is not right when it gets there. Sounds like more trouble than it could be worth regardless of how much you are saving. If I were that sceptic of purchasing one on one from a dealer I wouldn't buy an RV.
2016 Coachmen Chaparral Lite 29MKS
Rvdixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 02:41 PM   #33

Have you considered asking the dealer to video tape the basic PDI? I've seen many advertising walkthroughs on You Tube. Seems like a reasonable request to me.
Hoffwmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 03:18 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurek View Post
What happens when your new trailer will break down and you need warranty work done on it? Your local FR dealer won't know who you are since you have no relationship with them, so your unit would go to the very back of the line and any chance of getting a "speedy repair" will never exist. Your choice.

I'm out of energy to write any more on this.

He could do what allot of us do and fix the issue himself. Novel concept today, but some still do it.

I saved over $5k buying out of state. That $5k goes a long way in paying someone to fix something that I can't or don't have time to tackle. And I wouldn't even have to go to the back of the line.

2016 Sandpiper 376BHOK
2500HD Chevrolet

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
head gamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 03:31 PM   #35

I have a good friend who is a contract transporter for FR and he never PDI's anything but far as I know he only delivers dealers. He did deliver mine but I asked him if he would and I paid him for it too... Then we had a few beers and talked about hunting...
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 03:51 PM   #36

Quote:
THIS!!!
Nights Camped 2017 [63]
Nights Camped 2018 [27]
Old 12-04-2016, 03:56 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by head gamez View Post
He could do what allot of us do and fix the issue himself. Novel concept today, but some still do it.
I've had to make out in the bush repairs myself. I'm talking about bigger things that can't be done at home or that the self repair will void the warranty. "a lot" btw.
Nights Camped 2017 [63]
Nights Camped 2018 [27]
Old 12-04-2016, 03:59 PM   #38

Quote:
I understand all that and thank you.
Although I don't negotiate over the phone or emails,
the potential buyer knows up front, via the ad what my price is.

I never asked this particular dealer to drop the price.
Simply asked what is your best price.

I never got any price out of them.
Just the standard sales tactics.
In my eyes... this is the same thing!!!! You are a nobody over the phone. Why should they tell you anything? For someone with all this experience selling cars you sure seem to want to flip the playing field.
Nights Camped 2017 [63]
Nights Camped 2018 [27]
Old 12-04-2016, 04:01 PM   #39

I have to agree with the OP on talking to local dealers about price, on the phone or otherwise. This is their job. If they don't take you serious, then they lose a sale. We do all our research (like the OP) and know what we want to pay and who has the best price. Then we give the locals a chance to meet or beat it minus the cost we incur picking it up out of state. Has not happened yet. And don't tell me I have to pay more for local due to delivery costs. That's a load of bs and not my problem. We have saved TONS by buying out of state and haven't had one problem because of it.

We do always chose to pick up the unit ourselves and stay in the area a few days just to check everything out.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 04:15 PM   #40

This will be our second travel trailer we have had delivered

In 2007 I bought a Cherokee Lite 29B from Lakeshore RV in Michigan. The delivery was flawless except for the transporter showing up at 10PM on a Friday night while I was at a neighborhood party having too much to drink. The driver knew the trailer inside and out and walked me through the setup.
I bought from Lakeshore because the same camper bought local would have cost me $4500 more.

I just purchased a new 2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8329SS. Once again the local dealers forced me to go online because of their absurd pricing. I got a great deal on the camper from RV One in Florida. List price was $44,000 and I paid $27,300 plus taxes. It is going to be delivered to us here in Georgia. I sincerely hope that the transporter is as knowledgeable as the transporter for the Cherokee. Transportation costs are high but saves me a bunch of aggravation with my back trashed from too many jumps out of planes.
hmfic@bellsouth.net is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sport