Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2018, 02:29 PM   #1

Taking long trip this June

I am finally going to make a west trip and so I ordered a flex air king pin to replace the king pin on my Wildcat. What I need to know from the forum is what is the best trip planner and what does most use to track the trip with GPS.

SQROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 04:31 PM   #2

iPhone and Google Maps

Not a fan of standalone GPSs

Google has amazing trip planning functions. You can even create custom maps, routing, and all that from your phone or PC, then share it with devices.
kfergiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 04:57 PM   #3

We're on a 35 day trip right now. I used RV Trip Wizard to plan it out. It's a webpage you have to pay for ($35/yr) but I found it well worth it. I was able to input my RV dimensions and then it routes you along safe roads and shows alerts where there might be low clearance issues. I just use my onboard Nav in my truck for directions. I created favorites for all our stops and to make sure it routes me the same way as RV Trip Wizard would, I input waypoints at cities or towns along the preferred route - basically forcing the nav to go the route I want. It's worked well so far, day 8 of our trip and no issues. Good luck and enjoy.

Gsykora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 05:00 PM   #4
Always Learning

There is no great single trip planner. http://RVTripWizard.com is close, but I don't like paying for stuff.

Here are other options and how I approach trip planning:
Let’s go! Trip planning apps and websites | Learn To RV

GPS-wise, we just use our iPhone and Google Maps. Finger's crossed, we haven't come across low clearance issues yet.

I bought a RV GPS a long time ago, but now it sits sad and lonely in the truck's seat storage.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

I bought a RV GPS a long time ago, but now it sits sad and lonely in the truck's seat storage.
We use our GPS all the time to find 'attractions' near where we camp. Found some great off beat places. Also found campsites when we got close to our destination. They work best for those applications when you get physically close to an area.

For route planning, we use Google maps or Good Sam Club planning tools.
Old 05-19-2018, 01:18 PM   #6

We use Garmin (I like the pictures that take me through difficult urban interstate exchanges). At the same time, my wife is on Google maps for verification. And, we always carry paper maps of each state we travel through and road atlases for states we plan to do more than just pass through.

Paper maps don't get lost like Garmin. And Garmin does not include all cities in the US.

Paper maps don't drop out. If Google maps gets lost, and you are out of service range you are also out of luck.

Paper . . . paper . . . paper!
Old 05-19-2018, 01:19 PM   #7

Also going west thus summet. Just subscribed to rv trip wizard. So far pretty cool.
rrmccorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 03:17 PM   #8

I have a rand McNally RV gps.. I like it a lot. I also love the next exit book. So I use google maps to view where I’m stopping for access issues, rand McNally for the directions which saves data on my phone and next exit on the road if we need to make an unplanned stop.

Also I gonna try fmca trip planning for a June trip to see how that works.

Also there is mountain book west and east which helps with steep grades. I have west but need to order east.
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 04:07 PM   #9

We plan 5-6 month summer trips every year. We pick a direction- North, East, West. Then pick some cities we would enjoy seeing. Staying from 2-4 weeks at a time to explore the region, sites, culture. We use Good Sam GPS when traveling.
pamMJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 04:27 PM   #10

I use Good Sam trip planner, already am a member. I like that you can toggle on campgrounds on the route

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:56 PM   #11

I use the Garmin 760 LMT RV GPS. Input RV dimensions, weight & propane tank info and it routes accordingly. You can drag the route to change it. Also it automatically reroutes keeping you on legal roads. I love it.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:41 AM   #12

I use my garmin, what I like you can go to a site called POI Factory and download a lot of POIs, I get all the truck stops, rest areas, lot of campgrounds, Walmarts and there are alot of other places to visit. They are all free, just have to read on how to up load to garmin. You can also download all the speed and red light camera locations, those you do have to pay for.
shoe2728 is offline   Reply With Quote