Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2016, 11:19 PM   #21

David g I am sure I do but it is very simple if you read the IRS Web page. You are adding info that isn't true. It clearly says you do not have to use the home during the year. Hotels have no bearing on the discussion all it is doing is confusing people for no reason....
Rayax23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 06:32 AM   #22

I use our Class C for business and fun. We do depreciate expenses since we use it more for business than fun. However, when on business, we are parked on a beautiful lake. Lol
rlchall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:25 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayax23 View Post
David g I am sure I do but it is very simple if you read the IRS Web page. You are adding info that isn't true. It clearly says you do not have to use the home during the year. Hotels have no bearing on the discussion all it is doing is confusing people for no reason....
X2, it's pretty straight forward.
6inthefamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:47 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidg View Post
I am not a tax expert, but I believe the thinking is that "you have to live somewhere" so if you are not in your home, then you are in the rv. If not the rv, then you will be home.
This is the general idea.....hotels are another variable depending on reason for.
You may not like this but; there is no real common sense in play here, when dealing with the tax code. The code is a function of legislative action popular at the time. It's intended purpose is to enhance, or restrict, areas of the economy, depending on the political winds in force at the time of legislation and implementation. No more no less.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:00 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
Op.
If camper is a business expense, you should be able to set it up on depreciation, just like equipment. I believe you could use the interest as a business expense as well as the tag and taxes.
This is comming from a current and former business owner, but we have only used the camper for personal use, but deduct the interest like a home mortgage.
Ok, lets try this; the interest paid on finacing a RV is deductible, provided it is not interest paid short term (i.e. you charged it on your credit card). By that it is meant that the gov't currently ALLOWS non consumer debt interest, to be part of your itemized deductions. In short; interest on credit card debt NO, (consumer a.k.a. short term interest not allowed). Interst on long term debt, like a mortgage on real property, financing an RV, that interest debt YES.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:29 AM   #26
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
Ok, lets try this; the interest paid on finacing a RV is deductible, provided it is not interest paid short term (i.e. you charged it on your credit card). By that it is meant that the gov't currently ALLOWS non consumer debt interest, to be part of your itemized deductions. In short; interest on credit card debt NO, (consumer a.k.a. short term interest not allowed). Interst on long term debt, like a mortgage on real property, financing an RV, that interest debt YES.
In this case yes. This is for personal use.

Of course if there was credit card, vehicle, equipment....etc interest being paid, and if all of that was for business use.....it comes off your bottom line, so basically its deductible because it is the cost associated with doing business.

I only mentioned all this since op stated he used his for business. Granted, it will differ if he is employed by someone else and gets a per diem....but if he is a 1099'ed independent contractor, than things can be done differently.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 01:53 PM   #27

General rules are in this instance ; business use is defined by greater than 50% used in business in one years time, either fiscal or calendar year, whichever applies. Remember this hard fast rule as well, you have to prove your deductions if asked, the gov't has to prove income if in dispute from what was reported.