Old 06-14-2014, 02:14 PM   #11
Being able to have tents that will give them their own space works for us. Also bringing friends. Have plenty of activities for them when you hear "I'm bored!".

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Forest River Forums mobile app

grubbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 02:47 PM   #12
We camp with a small group (families from other parts of our state), and several have kids that are the same age as ours. When we go camping (we shoot for once a month, but don't always make it), the kids look forward to see their camping friends. We sometimes bring one of the kids friends. Our 13 year old (boy) is not really worried too much about what's cool. etc. He goes with what he likes, and does not worry too much about what other kids think, but many of his friends camp and do other activities. Lucky for us, so far it has not been an issue. He has figured out (and his sister who is 8yo is beginning to) that trying to make everyone miserable when he does not like something just come back on him. He now just goes with the flow and deals with it. Good luck.

Chuck Roder & Family
'07 Surveyor SV-235RS & '03 Chevy TrailBlazer EXT LT V8
High Springs, FL.
MOD Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 03:08 PM   #13
Yes. seems kids were young they couldnt wait to to camping, now its like pulling teeth to get them to go,now 3 are grown and gone and my son who is 13 used to enjoy camping but now says its boring.... so we have a big 5th wheel pretty much to ourselves!
rohlingerrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 04:32 PM   #14
Our 14 year old son gives us attitude for just about anything. I choose to ignore it and tell him nicely that when he is 18, he can make choices and can stay home. He is fine for the most part, and the benefits of camping and family time are worth dealing with a "whole lot of attitude" at times. I just have to put on my big girl parenting pants to deal with him at times.
2500 Chevy Express
Nights camped 2013-22
mom28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:09 PM   #15
<whispers another prayer of thanks that our boys (his two, my three) are all grown up!

I always dealt with teenaged boys by having a bigger attitude than theirs. /snark

"my attitude trumps yours son, so deal with it"

"so you wanna whip out some attitude? watch *this*"

yeah, they usually ended up rolling laughing at "Momma's 'tude" and things smoothed out

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 12:29 AM   #16
I had it easy. My 19 year old, one and only, still looks forward to going. We're on a 3 week trip right now as a matter of fact.
'15 F150 Ecoboost Maxtow Scab '13 Freedom Exp. 233RBS
Days camped 2016 53,
Days camped 2015 33,
Days camped 2014 47,

Years camping....50
dbarr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 05:50 AM   #17
Never had a problem until they were about 15-16 when they really started noticing the opposite sex and they lack of "kids" their age group camping, funny thing is after acouple years in college my son had joined us camping while he was on break, his comment after acouple days was "now I know why you and Mom go camping" was ajust a relaxing weekend for him.
2008 Silverado 5.3 tow package
2013 Roo 25rs
2014 nites booked 10
Truth B Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:28 AM   #18
So what to do? Dial up the cool factor.
Bring the Xbox and spring for the daily WIFI.
let them watch some movies they like on DVD.
Buy or rent a golf cart and let the boy cruise the girls in the campground.
Let him have his own space in a tent.
Have you asked what it would take for him to come along?
2011 Coachman Freedom Express 295RLDS- Sold
2015 F-250 FX4 SUPER DUTY 6.2L Gas 4WD SuperCab XL 3.73 rear / 158" WB / 8' bed. Factory anti-sway and brake controller
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:28 AM   #19
Mod free 5er
Never had a problem getting our 2 boys going as we started when they were babies and every other weekend we went to Knoxville, IA to the sprint car races which they loved. The other weekends we were camping with 2 or 3 other couples that had kids, so it was never any problem. Of course there were no cell phones, iPods, etc. to mess with their heads. They were definitely not couch potatoes. Took bikes and motor scooters so we all had fun.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 07:37 AM   #20
When I was a kid (51 now) my parents took us camping for every vacation, all over North America. Parents also wanted their kids to have jobs. Around age 15 or 16, each of us four kids stopped camping with mom and dad. Work and school needed attention.

As life moved on, each of the two sons purchased campers and once again went camping with mom and dad.

Now mom and dad are too old and not in a good enough condition to camp. The twist to the story is, their oldest son is making this post from a camper. Camping might be the best gift my parents ever gave me.

Ford 2015 F250 Crew Lariat Ultimate 6.7L Diesel 4X4

my_crib_too is offline   Reply With Quote