Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2014, 08:50 AM   #21
Incheon, S. Korea

They'll complain (our son does now) but when they get older, will understand the benefit from those trips.
My daughter proudly told her friends that she "knows how to play with rocks and sticks!" That just made me all warm and fuzzy inside.

my_crib_too - that is an awesome story.
Weezer - you are nuts, aren't you? LOL
Truth B Towed - that's awesome.
OldCoot - Speed, fuel, recoil. Add any of those to camping and it's heaven. I wanna be like you when I grow up!
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:27 AM   #22
Happy Keystone Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Of course there were no cell phones, iPods, etc. to mess with their heads. .
I never supplied any of that crap either. She just got her first kindle about 6 months ago and she got that herself. She is 19 after all. I never said she couldn't have it, I'm just not buying it!
Growing up she was lucky to have basic cable and a bike....we are such terrible parents.

Must not have been too painful for her, she still wants to vacation with us.

Years camping....55
dbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:48 AM   #23

I have a 13 year old granddaughter and a 15 year old grandson that love's to go...they do each bringva friend....the campground has a lot of amenities... honestly I think the biggest reason they love it is because of all the teens that are there..
Camping is good family bonding and creating memories

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 06-15-2014, 11:13 AM   #24
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_crib_too View Post
When I was a kid (51 now) my parents took us camping for every vacation, all over North America. Parents also wanted their kids to have jobs. Around age 15 or 16, each of us four kids stopped camping with mom and dad. Work and school needed attention.

As life moved on, each of the two sons purchased campers and once again went camping with mom and dad.

Now mom and dad are too old and not in a good enough condition to camp. The twist to the story is, their oldest son is making this post from a camper. Camping might be the best gift my parents ever gave me.
X elventy!

Mom and Dad took us on a 2 week tent camping vacation EVERY year as far back as I can remember. We covered every state in the lower 48, except NY and CA. Got to stay in a "road side motel" (the little cottage type) once a week. Dad drove a station wagon until all the kids were grown and moved out, but also owned a Ford truck for driving to work and stuff on the farm. We'd fight over who got to sit in those pop-up bench seats in the back. But when that model came out (there was 4 of us) it stopped the fighting over who got a window seat!

I've been to Carlsbad Caverns, Royal Gorge, Painted Desert, seen Old Faithful blow, Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Pike's Peak, Ruby Falls, name it, I've been there. I've got boxes full of pictures Mom took with her little Brownie camera. (so few pics of her on those trips though, as she was always behind the camera, until one of us kids got old enough to take the pics)

Down in Ruby Falls Mom dropped her purse over the rail of a small bridge over an underground stream. Dad jumped over the rail and went after it as it bobble/floated toward the darkness as the stream went deeper underground, because "it was all the money we had with us". Dad has NEVER had a credit card in his life, and he's about to be 86 years old. It's cash or it doesn't happen with him.

That stuck with me all these years, (I was probably 6 years old when it happened) so a couple of years ago I asked Dad:
How much money did you take with us every year for those vacations back then?

$200.00

Those truly *were* the good old days.

I miss those road side parks, where we'd stop and Mom and Dad would pull out the ice chest and we'd have cold cut sandwiches and tea from a jug.

More nostalgia; Every year, just before vacation time, Mom got out the Sears and Roebuck catalog and ordered "vacation outfits" for us, just like she did just before school started each year which was a real treat, since so many of the clothes for us girls were made by her on her faithful Singer sewing machine. We three girls got "culottes" and matching blouses, my brother got new jeans and shirts, for vacation. We all got sandals and new socks. Wish I had asked her how much she spent on all those clothes before she passed away.

Mom was dedicated to making sure her kids were dressed *well*, since she wore mostly clothes made from flour sacks growing up. She also made sure my Dad was dressed to the nines, perusing that catalog and ordering dress suits and shirts, and khaki pants and shirts for work.

I miss her.

Yes, I realize I got WAY off track here. sorry (sniffing)

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:28 AM   #25

This is too funny, once they reach those teen when ever that may be, they tend to want to start there on independence. I can remember when this was me. (Teen) My wife is all about the kids being around, our children are all young adults and have There on lives. Think about all the things you done with your parents and think back how much fun you had. Pricesless ...

Sent from my LG-P769 using Forest River Forums mobile app
phillip252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:47 AM   #26
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarr View Post
I never supplied any of that crap either...
Wasn't invented yet!
Old 06-15-2014, 11:53 AM   #27

I'm loving the stories. My husband and I are 60 and both of us are lifelong campers. Just graduated to a TT last summer from tents and a pop up.

The 12 year old grandson mentioned in our earlier post is a Boy Scout who plans to make eagle in the next few years, so outdoorsy activities are just up his alley. He lives with us full time, so he goes with us everywhere.

His 19 year old sister came for a visit earlier this year and camped with us for the first time in the TT. When we asked her what she thought, she said she missed the"ambiance" of tent camping. That was a pleasant surprise.

Our grandkids range from 21 to 4 months. The older ones always talk about our camping adventures. So do the adult kids.

Sometimes I think you're a "camper" or you're not. I'm glad I am!

GaryOverfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:13 AM   #28
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof_fate View Post
He has to come...but having a whiny attitude uncooperative PITA along a vacation means it's no vacation!

Hence my asking...

He seems OK once we get there...but planning and packing..no fun at all.
My kids are older and grown up now, but I had a hard and fast method about dealing with the whining, and the mopey attitude and all that.

#1, they had to go, like it or not. #2 if they wanna complain and whine, I would put them in the camper by themselves with no tv, books or nothing. I'd tell them if they want to participate and enjoy themselves, they could join us at the campfire or whatever activity we were doing. But if they just want to complain about how horrible their life is, they can do it somewhere where I can't hear them. If they decided to rejoin us, and went back with the attitude, then they were stuck in the camper the whole night, no matter what.

Sitting around a campfire with your family may not be as 'cool' or fun as hanging out with their freinds, but it sure beats the hell out of being bored to tears sitting alone in a camper with nothing to do.

I can say it worked. Because neither of my boys gave me much trouble when camping. (at least, not after the rules were explained to them)

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:45 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom28 View Post
Our 14 year old son gives us attitude for just about anything. I choose to ignore it and tell him nicely that when he is 18, he can make choices and can stay home. He is fine for the most part, and the benefits of camping and family time are worth dealing with a "whole lot of attitude" at times. I just have to put on my big girl parenting pants to deal with him at times.
LOL.
I can remember hearing, 10,000 times 'when you pay the bills you make the rules' and 'if you think it's better someplace else, there's the door- don't let it hit you in the ...on the way out'.

Maybe it's time to repeat what I was told all those years ago.

BTW, worked a 50th HS reunion over the weekend and one of the speakers did a 'top 10' list, the number 1 was "Grandkids are the reward you get for not killing your teenagers"...I almost busted a gut

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:49 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpman View Post
I have a 13 year old granddaughter and a 15 year old grandson that love's to go...they do each bringva friend....the campground has a lot of amenities... honestly I think the biggest reason they love it is because of all the teens that are there..
Camping is good family bonding and creating memories

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Unfortunately we don't get 'every weekend' so they make friends with others that do the same. Our CG doesn't have a lot of kids, compared to some we've visited. Our neighbors last time commented on that, in a very happy way, as they're last CG was full of 'half naked kids riding bikes and running around and ruling the pool'. (aka kids in swimsuits from 10am to 11pm). Been to CGs like that - great for kids I guess, but I appreciate their point.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:56 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
. We'd fight over who got to sit in those pop-up bench seats in the back. But when that model came out (there was 4 of us) it stopped the fighting over who got a window seat!

I've been to Carlsbad Caverns, Royal Gorge, Painted Desert, seen Old Faithful blow, Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Pike's Peak, Ruby Falls, name it, I've been there. I've got boxes full of pictures Mom took with her little Brownie camera. (so few pics of her on those trips though, as she was always behind the camera, until one of us kids got old enough to take the pics)

I miss those road side parks, where we'd stop and Mom and Dad would pull out the ice chest and we'd have cold cut sandwiches and tea from a jug.

Mom was dedicated to making sure her kids were dressed *well*, since she wore mostly clothes made from flour sacks growing up. She also made sure my Dad was dressed to the nines, perusing that catalog and ordering dress suits and shirts, and khaki pants and shirts for work.

Yes, I realize I got WAY off track here. sorry (sniffing)
Wow, how times have changed. "Poor" isn't the same today, is it? Back then you were motivated to try for a better life...today, not so sure.

And who to blame? I remember working at something - grass cutting, paper route, etc to earn money to buy 'toys' or games or hobbies. Xmas was about the only time of the year (or your b/day but mine is december) you'd get something.

today? Am I spoiling my kids? Or am I just keeping them from being ostricized by the other kids at school? We have a PS3..not a 4. We dont' vacation in france or spend 2 weeks at Hilton Head (as many of their friends do). Perhaps I'm not spoiling them afterall

Old 06-16-2014, 07:03 PM   #32
Site Team

Made some memories that will last a lifetime !

My 2 girls went camping from the time they were babies. Around 15 -17 I think they found boys and lost just a little interest. But they always went on 1 or 2 week trip a year and loved it.

Now there grown and dont get to camp much. The youngest just moved to Denver and the oldest is working most all weekends.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:38 AM   #33

I read that you don't let them bring electronics, and I understand that..but I would compromise on that if you want them to keep camping. We nix the electronics during the day and we let them have them in their bunks at night. I mean..I have my phone . We have a place for electronics and we take advantage of nature and family games, movies, campfires all that..but I would never get mine to go if they didn't have that time at night. Each his own, but my kids are almost 13 and 15 and they love it. I just try not to set up too many rules around it and they beg to go...

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Ashley
Tallcotton4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:56 AM   #34
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Our 20 year old whom is in college still comes to where were camping if he has time and it's close enough.

Bringing friends has always been a plus to.

They have balked a time or two but only because they thought there other "plans" was going to be way more fun.

In every case coming with us was way more fun.

Never a dull moment at our rig!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:46 AM   #35

they bring their ipods..not a computer, not the playstation, and no tv. And our normal and the CG over the weekend both lack wifi (the one over the weekend even lacked cell service)

Which means...we camped fri/sat/sun and came home monday. Today (Tuesday) my son was up at 9:15 am without a battle...vs 12-1 since school has been out.

won't last of course.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:48 PM   #36

Our kids have never given us any issues camping. Our oldest is 24 now and gets upset if we do not let her know we have a trip planned so she can take off work. Our youngest will be turning 18 in AUG. and loves to go camping. It is nice just getting away from everything.
flcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:07 PM   #37
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Our 20 year old whom is in college still comes to where were camping if he has time and it's close enough.

Bringing friends has always been a plus to.

They have balked a time or two but only because they thought there other "plans" was going to be way more fun.

In every case coming with us was way more fun.

Never a dull moment at our rig!
I can't keep ours away! JK

There were times when the older ones were in the 14-16 range that they didn't want to go on the weekend trips, but they were always up for the week long trips (which usually meant someplace different and fun). Now that the 3oldest are 17-21, they show up every weekend regardless. We usually have another family (BIL&SIL) and their 2 kids, which keeps our youngest (7) busy. Our weekend campground has a pool, lake, waterslides, etc., and has a lot of kids of all ages. Keep them involved in all aspects of a camping trip, whether they want to or not.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping