Old 06-16-2014, 07:56 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
. We'd fight over who got to sit in those pop-up bench seats in the back. But when that model came out (there was 4 of us) it stopped the fighting over who got a window seat!

I've been to Carlsbad Caverns, Royal Gorge, Painted Desert, seen Old Faithful blow, Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Pike's Peak, Ruby Falls, name it, I've been there. I've got boxes full of pictures Mom took with her little Brownie camera. (so few pics of her on those trips though, as she was always behind the camera, until one of us kids got old enough to take the pics)

I miss those road side parks, where we'd stop and Mom and Dad would pull out the ice chest and we'd have cold cut sandwiches and tea from a jug.

Mom was dedicated to making sure her kids were dressed *well*, since she wore mostly clothes made from flour sacks growing up. She also made sure my Dad was dressed to the nines, perusing that catalog and ordering dress suits and shirts, and khaki pants and shirts for work.

Yes, I realize I got WAY off track here. sorry (sniffing)
Wow, how times have changed. "Poor" isn't the same today, is it? Back then you were motivated to try for a better life...today, not so sure.

And who to blame? I remember working at something - grass cutting, paper route, etc to earn money to buy 'toys' or games or hobbies. Xmas was about the only time of the year (or your b/day but mine is december) you'd get something.

today? Am I spoiling my kids? Or am I just keeping them from being ostricized by the other kids at school? We have a PS3..not a 4. We dont' vacation in france or spend 2 weeks at Hilton Head (as many of their friends do). Perhaps I'm not spoiling them afterall

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:03 PM   #32
Site Team

Made some memories that will last a lifetime !

My 2 girls went camping from the time they were babies. Around 15 -17 I think they found boys and lost just a little interest. But they always went on 1 or 2 week trip a year and loved it.

Now there grown and dont get to camp much. The youngest just moved to Denver and the oldest is working most all weekends.

2017-67 / 16-92 / 15-73 / 14-60 / 13-33
Seasonal
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:38 AM   #33

I read that you don't let them bring electronics, and I understand that..but I would compromise on that if you want them to keep camping. We nix the electronics during the day and we let them have them in their bunks at night. I mean..I have my phone . We have a place for electronics and we take advantage of nature and family games, movies, campfires all that..but I would never get mine to go if they didn't have that time at night. Each his own, but my kids are almost 13 and 15 and they love it. I just try not to set up too many rules around it and they beg to go...

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Ashley
Tallcotton4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:56 AM   #34
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Our 20 year old whom is in college still comes to where were camping if he has time and it's close enough.

Bringing friends has always been a plus to.

They have balked a time or two but only because they thought there other "plans" was going to be way more fun.

In every case coming with us was way more fun.

Never a dull moment at our rig!
Old 06-24-2014, 12:46 PM   #35

they bring their ipods..not a computer, not the playstation, and no tv. And our normal and the CG over the weekend both lack wifi (the one over the weekend even lacked cell service)

Which means...we camped fri/sat/sun and came home monday. Today (Tuesday) my son was up at 9:15 am without a battle...vs 12-1 since school has been out.

won't last of course.

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:48 PM   #36

Our kids have never given us any issues camping. Our oldest is 24 now and gets upset if we do not let her know we have a trip planned so she can take off work. Our youngest will be turning 18 in AUG. and loves to go camping. It is nice just getting away from everything.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:07 PM   #37
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Our 20 year old whom is in college still comes to where were camping if he has time and it's close enough.

Bringing friends has always been a plus to.

They have balked a time or two but only because they thought there other "plans" was going to be way more fun.

In every case coming with us was way more fun.

Never a dull moment at our rig!
I can't keep ours away! JK

There were times when the older ones were in the 14-16 range that they didn't want to go on the weekend trips, but they were always up for the week long trips (which usually meant someplace different and fun). Now that the 3oldest are 17-21, they show up every weekend regardless. We usually have another family (BIL&SIL) and their 2 kids, which keeps our youngest (7) busy. Our weekend campground has a pool, lake, waterslides, etc., and has a lot of kids of all ages. Keep them involved in all aspects of a camping trip, whether they want to or not.

Tags
camping