Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2018, 09:25 PM   #1

tele challenged

I know this must've been discussed before but since I'm not familiar with this topic. My wife and I were staying in a campground that had a 40 channel hook up. We had decided to leave our satellite dish playmaker at home since it was just a couple day trip. We figured if we had any extra time we would just look at cable up to it program it into our TV through the setup/input methods and then scan in the TV stations. We tried doing everything, every input and anything else we can think of. Then we went through the scan channel mode for each attempt . We even switched the cable and satellite terminals on the inside and outside of the RV but nothing worked. The next morning I ran into a gentleman in a spot near us and he explained that he uses a signal box that he then sends over to his TV. It sounded like something similar to sending the signal to my dish Wally and then it goes to the Tv. I have no problem getting my satellite channels when I have my dish with me. I would like the option to not take it with me because of the space it uses if I'm going to a rv park that has TV hookups. Is there anyone that knows why I was unable to get channels onto my TV(we tried both TVs in the RV and were only able to get antenna channels)? Do I need to get a switching box to get the right feed into my television? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
yakmeat123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:30 PM   #2

You might want to check with the campground and see if you need a cable box to get their cable. It's not common, but we've run into that and you had to pay a deposit for their box.

You might have a button near the tv that switches from cable to antenna. Actually, our button is near the front door. Usually there is some method of switching from cable to antenna in the rig.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:33 PM   #3
Site Team

Did you turn off the ant amplifier switch? ( Small button on wall ant outlet.)

Did you put TV into cable input.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:37 PM   #4

Check the specifications for your TVs. Some RVs (mine included) are equipped with TVs that do not have a tuner capable of picking up digital cable channels (only OTA signals and analog cable channels). I could not use the cable at Fort Wilderness, but I am able to get cable in the campground I am at now. If you can't get the channels you will need a digital cable tuner (the box the other camper is using).

AL
1997 F-350 CC PSD
BigHomey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 06:09 PM   #5
Gold Tee Box

It was probably the amplifier switch like others have suggested.

There is another solution. Last year I got tired of setting up my DTV dish and allignment with trees, etc. We have DTV and ATT wireless, so we just take our home ATT wifi with us, and get DTV on our laptops and other devices. No longer worry about campground cable, wifi, or satellite issues.

As long as we have a good cell signal we can watch most anything we have at home. We have our own WIFI for TV or computers. We usually are camping near an interstate highway or community with good cell service.

We can either cast to a TV or connect via a USB cable if we want a bigger screen.
Attached Images

Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote