Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2014, 12:32 AM   #1

Television mount limits

I am in the process of purchasing an 2015 Cherokee 294BH travel trailer. This model we are getting has an outdoor kitchen. I am curious to what is the maximum size of TV that the included tv mounts will hold, both inside and outside. My dealer will provide me with either a 24 inch or 32 inch tv. However he said that a 24 inch tv was the largest and heaviest that the mounts would hold. He said I could get a 32 inch but the mounts would not support it. Does anyone know what the maximum size or weight these mounts will hold? I can't find anything on the forest river webpage. The 24 inch just seems small.
bpressnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 05:32 PM   #2

Find out what the weight is of each size TV. LED TV's are pretty light. I'd say if there is a question of if it will support a 32" I would let the dealer supply the TV and go get a better TV mount yourself if needed. I would guess a 32" TV would be somewhere around 15# and not over 20#. I just checked weight capacities of wall mounts and nearly everyone would handle 60#+. Lighter ones were around 44# capacity. I use a mount that lets me remove the TV when I travel. There is a lot of bouncing in a TT so I just take both TV's (one in the living area and one in the bedroom) and lay them facedown on the bed.

There is probably less than 5# difference in weight between the two. Your call.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 08:06 PM   #3

I'm not so concerned with the bracket weight limit itself but what it is anchored into. I can purchase a mount to hold any tv but I'm not familiar enough with what the wall mount is actually mounted or anchored into. The wall paneling is flimsy. I would hope the mount is going into a stud of some sort.
bpressnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 08:53 PM   #4

Normally if an area that is noted as being used for a TV mount they will have a backer board not over 1/2" in thickness (saves weight). You can check the area by using the smallest drill bit you can find and drill a test hole. Small hole is easy to cover with toothpaste or shoe polish depending on the color. In my case the backer board was below the area the marked for a TV mount by about an inch, both in the living area and the bedroom area. The size of the backer board will be around 16" square. I then used heavy short lag screws into the backer board. 1 !/4" is as long as you want to use.

I've asked customer service how big the board was and they had no idea. I suggested the go out in the assembly area and take a photo of the backer board, I guess that may go over their head to do that.

Sorry, I forgot to add the sturdiness of the wall that holds the mount as a possible problem.

If all else make you own mounting board on the outside of the wall and find the studs to screw to. You may have aluminum studs which may complicate the issue.

A call to the manufacturer's customer service may (or may not) help.

Go to the sub forum for Cherokee in the 5th Wheel/Travel Trailer/Ultra lites section and ask the question. Some of the factory reps monitor those.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mount, television