Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2018, 02:14 PM   #1

Unhappy Terrible Tasting Water

What on earth can I use to get rid of a Terrible taste and smell in the water in my trailer?
I have been trying to flush out our water system in our trailer for 2 months now to No Avail! I have used the tried and true Bleach method. Being careful not to use any bleach with perfume, flushed the water tank Multiple Times and I can finally say that the water is fit to drink, as long as it doesn't sit to long.
But, the Hot Water Tank is being So Stubborn that it is Pathetic! That water Is Putrid Tasting and Smelling! It smells like Perfume and Tastes TERRIBLE! No Matter What I do it still is BAD! It has kind of a Plastic taste to it!
I can get it to where it is Barely Tolerable, then the next day it is back to Being Putrid Again!
We can't even stand to use it to wash our hands or dishes!
It doesn't matter if the hot water tank is filled with Filtered City Water or the water out of our fresh water tank; it is Still Nasty!
I am at my wits end, so could someone give me an idea how to cure the problem? I sure would appreciate it!
We have a camping trip planned for the day after Christmas, so we sure could use some ideas!
grandpawrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 02:23 PM   #2

Don't know what kind of water heater you have, but if it has an anode rod, that may need to be changed and the hot water tank flushed out. When draining the hot water tank there will probably lots of white-ish crud that flows out. Residue from anode rod, I think. Get one of those long necked hot water tank flush wands to help get the rest out.
Old 12-01-2018, 02:45 PM   #3
Scoundrel

Just to rule out the obvious.... When you say you've used the tried and true bleach method, that would include:

1) Filling the fresh water tank completely with a water/bleach solution;
2) Turning on the water pump and running the bleach solution throughout all the plumbing in the camper - including the hot water tank (yes I do sanitize the hot water tank)
3) Leaving said solution to sit overnight
4) Flush thoroughly.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 02:48 PM   #4

Thumbs up

Thanks hook47! The trailer was bought in Late August and was Brand spanking new.
I think I will call the dealership on Monday and talk to them about it! I would rather have them service it under warranty than for me to fight it any more!
Old 12-01-2018, 02:54 PM   #5

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by HangDiver View Post
Just to rule out the obvious.... When you say you've used the tried and true bleach method, that would include:

1) Filling the fresh water tank completely with a water/bleach solution;
2) Turning on the water pump and running the bleach solution throughout all the plumbing in the camper - including the hot water tank (yes I do sanitize the hot water tank)
3) Leaving said solution to sit overnight
4) Flush thoroughly.
Yes, that is Exactly what I have been doing. When I drain the tanks and the hot water tank I run the faucets right down the drain while leaving the holding tank valve wide open so the water goes down the sewer. I have The Cleanest Grey Water Tank you can ever have!

Then I refill the system and leave it set for 24 hours and I re-drain it. Finally I Flush the system 4 more times. It seems Excessive, but we use a Lot of water while we camp, so we want it to taste good, smell good and be healthy for us!
Old 12-01-2018, 04:00 PM   #6

Do you have an outside shower hose that needs flushing. One time I had a similar problem with the inside shower hose as we had used camp ground showers all the time????
wanderer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 04:17 PM   #7
Site Team

The one area you have overlooked is the water. If you clean it and it is undrinkable in a day or so it could be bad water. Although campgrounds may be required to provide safe water, that doesn't mean that you will enjoy drinking it especially after it sits. Try filling a container from the source and let is sit a day or two then check it. The dissolved elements and small amounts of bacteria will react to create the issues you are seeing.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 04:28 PM   #8

Day one we put a gallon of sanitizer in the water tank and circulated. Overnight would be good.

We do not really drink the water, The dog does. And then some with tooth brushing. Ours is swell. But, we carry bottled water to drink. We are picky.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 04:29 PM   #9

When you fill with unchloronated water, say filtered, well water, or any untested source, you may be removing the one thing which will keep the water fresh for a reasonable time (chlorine).

If you prefer to filter for drinking, filter at the spout or under sink, not before filling the tank.

Since RV water system is not sealed, I drain and refill monthly with fresh chlorinated. I drain, flush, and refill after any time I put anything but my known tap water in. I super chorinate once a year.

I keep it full at all times for spur of the moment use, and for "lifeboat" use.

Since we have a hot tub at home, I have easy means to test water, and a good understanding of keeping water potable.
Dp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 04:53 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to B and B
What kind of trailer?

I know with a fifth wheel with a washer connection make sure you flush it when dewinterizing as mixing chlorinated water and RV safe antifreeze can leave really bad water taste and smell.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 01:48 AM   #11

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
The one area you have overlooked is the water. If you clean it and it is undrinkable in a day or so it could be bad water. Although campgrounds may be required to provide safe water, that doesn't mean that you will enjoy drinking it especially after it sits. Try filling a container from the source and let is sit a day or two then check it. The dissolved elements and small amounts of bacteria will react to create the issues you are seeing.

I have been trying to flush the system with the same water that we use in our house. I have a Dedicated White Hose for filling it and I checked the water by drinking straight from that hose. The water was Good.

The campground water tasted good right from the hose, so I personally feel that it is something in the Hot water heater.
Old 12-02-2018, 01:51 AM   #12

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer44 View Post
Do you have an outside shower hose that needs flushing. One time I had a similar problem with the inside shower hose as we had used camp ground showers all the time????

That has also been flushed with Bleach and tons of Fresh water, just to cover all bases.

I am at a loss! I have never had another trailer that had this problem and I have been towing trailers ever since 1972.
Old 12-02-2018, 01:57 AM   #13

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dp26 View Post
When you fill with unchloronated water, say filtered, well water, or any untested source, you may be removing the one thing which will keep the water fresh for a reasonable time (chlorine).

If you prefer to filter for drinking, filter at the spout or under sink, not before filling the tank.

Since RV water system is not sealed, I drain and refill monthly with fresh chlorinated. I drain, flush, and refill after any time I put anything but my known tap water in. I super chorinate once a year.

I keep it full at all times for spur of the moment use, and for "lifeboat" use.

Since we have a hot tub at home, I have easy means to test water, and a good understanding of keeping water potable.
Thanks for the reply. But I Only use the water from my own house and I use a filter right at the tap from my house. At our favorite campground I filter the City water right at the tap, just like I do at home. I also check the flavor of the water before any goes into the trailer.
Old 12-02-2018, 07:57 AM   #14

I doubt that this issue would be covered under warranty. My vote too is for your water being the problem. Have you tried your water unfiltered sitting out a couple of days in a pitcher. ? Straight from the faucet is not always a good indicator.

Good Luck.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 02:42 PM   #15

Lightbulb

I have decided that I am going to try another old school method of flushing the lines out in my trailer.

Today I am going to add 1/2 cup of Vinegar to my Fresh water holding tank and then run the hot water until that darned thing is full of new vinegar water. Then I will let it warm up for a few hours before I flush the whole system out!
Hopefully this will kill off the foul taste and smell in that water heater!

Dick
Old 12-03-2018, 03:01 PM   #16

Take out the anode rod and have a look. It's easy to do, if it's still good wrap some white teflon tape and put it back in.
Old 12-03-2018, 04:01 PM   #17
llr

I would get an inspection camera and have a look inside the water heater, it is always possible something got into the tank. If you don't have an inspection camera they can be found starting at about $10.

Unless your dealer is much better then mine you probably won't have it back by Christmas if you bring it in now.
TV 2024 F350 DRW - on order
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 04:45 PM   #18
Trailer Park Supervisor

vinegar will help sanitize the water heater as well as dissolve mineral deposits. I use it to sanitize my hummingbird feeders sometimes when I don't want use bleach. Also, after you flush, it won't hurt you to leave a little bleach in the system after you refill it. CDC recommends one eight of a teaspoon per gallon of water for consumption. (unscented bleach of course)
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
water