Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2017, 07:11 AM   #1

Texas in Jan

Hello all
The wife and I were looking at getting out of Michigan for a few weeks and going down to Texas. I knew I would have to leave camper winterized and watch the weather but started looking at the weather in Texas and a lot of the area seems to get a little cool at night. I was wondering how big a problem this is for the camper. It does have tank warmers and the plastic cardboard belly cover. Any suggestions ?
jwagner1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 07:15 AM   #2
Insert witty title here

Depends on how cold for how long. A quick did below freezing won't harm anything. It takes several hours of sub-freezing temperatures before you will run into problems.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 07:36 AM   #3

It also depends on what part of Texas you are talking about. The issue, is it can get cold for a night or two, but then normally warms back up. We have had some years where January can be really nice. We also had 2011 where we had a week of below freezing with iced over roads. I would just plan to go as far south as you can go.
Asrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:32 AM   #4
Wrench Turnin Fool

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1180.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	158420 my daughter lives in Houston, sent me this about two weeks ago 😀 I doubt it stays cold long enough to actually freeze plumbing though

2001 Coleman SantaFe pop up
Excited new owner of 2018 Arctic Wolf 315TBH8
Towing with a 2005 F-250 5.4 GASSER
Arctic Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 09:15 AM   #5
I Break Everything

Texas gets it all. Our kids live in San Antonio and Corpus Christi. It snowed about a week ago. We live about 140 miles north of San Antonio...Nothing. No snow, no ice, no sleet, it barely even rained.

However those are rare instances. North Texas can get cold, especially out of the hill country where there's nothing to block the wind. Central Texas can have some cold snaps, but it usually warms up throughout the day. People RV year round in Texas, if that's what you're looking for. We do. I'm not out of shorts yet and we're past the halfway point in December. If you dress for the cold in Texas, it better be in easy to shed layers.

I've never used one of those water hoses with the wire heaters built into it. Every time we go north of or into some the hill country areas this time of the year, we disconnect the hose. Good Luck.

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 09:17 AM   #6

We're about to leave for the panhandle for the holidays. We stay a few days in Amarillo to hunt geese then down to Lubbock with family. It will be in the teen's in Amarillo at night and low 20's in Lubbock, most afternoon's in the 40's. We've never had a problem.

We'll get to Amarillo in the afternoon, I'll fill the fresh water tank, I'll drain and put the hose away in the heated basement. When we go to bed I turn on the tank heaters and set the furnace at 60. If the weather gets bad we put a small space heater in the basement to supplement.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:45 AM   #7

P.S., you cannot stay in Texas long enough to see it all....but give it a try! It will be worth your time.
Travel safe

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 03:46 PM   #8

I live in central Texas (near Austin) and never winterize the camper. If we hit a cold snap with more than a day below freezing I will turn on the tank heaters and put an electric heater in the camper. Set it to about 60-degrees and leave the cabinet doors with plumbing open so some of the interior heat leaks into the cabinets. The hot water heater is on, since I'm connected to 30 amp service. That process has worked for me for two different campers over the past 20 years.

Travel here, even if it gets cold for a day or two, will be fine. If the camper/motorhome is in use then there will be plenty of heat leaking to keep everything thawed. If you are in the high plains of Texas, or the Panhandle then temps do get colder. Still, likely okay for an occupied camper. An uninsulated/unheated water hose might be the only exception. That's easy enough to wrap with a heater tape.

Come on down!
david_reaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 06:04 PM   #9

We are in the Rio Grande Valley for the winter. Normal temps here are near 70 daytime but last week we had snow, yesterday was rainy and about 50deg for the high. Abnormal weather for this area so we are told. I guess you should be ready for just about anything but even when it snowed the temps made it to freezing for only a couple of hours so there were worries about the camper freezing. This motor Home is apparently not insulated for winter weather so the heater is running a lot, but we are plenty warm. BTW temps are supposed to be near 80 next week.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 11:14 AM   #10

Thanks

Thank you everyone for your replies. Looks like it is something that can be done. Now just have to talk it over with the wife. She is just wanting to drive down
jwagner1701 is offline   Reply With Quote