Old 03-11-2015, 09:37 PM   #11

What a crock o crock. Four trailers and I'm going to pay for an annual inspection to check my lights and brakes....

Lose the 2nd and the rest will follow.
Salt Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 07:19 AM   #12

Well, I guess this is discovery learning. I just bought my RV in November 2014 and it did not have a state inspection. My dealer is 50 miles away so it is not economical to get it done there.

I have a dual axle utility trailer that will need an inspection as well.

US Army Retired
Tx_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 07:44 AM   #13

The requirements haven't changed, nor has the laws. Only thing to change is in the process of documentation and assurances that the law will be followed. And if not adhered to make it easier for state law enforcement to generate state revenue.

So to those who have been skating the issue of non inspection but have complained about Texas road conditions here's your opportunity to step up to the plate and make your tax deductible legally required donation.

2015 Day/Nights Camped 5
2014 Day/Nights Camped 29
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 07:59 AM   #14

Quote:
So to those who have been skating the issue of non inspection but have complained about Texas road conditions here's your opportunity to step up to the plate and make your tax deductible legally required donation.
Please explain to me why I need to pay someone to check my lights. I am religous on trailer maintanance. My trailers aren't having near the infastructure impact of say mexican semis. Look at some of those rigs.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:48 AM   #15
Site Team

Like Salt wrote above "The only time I've had to have a trailer inspected (TT) was out of state getting a title." The young lady at the auto service shop fiddled with her computer about 2 minutes, went outside, reached into the trailer and slapped an inspection sticker on the window above the dining booth (at an odd angle - I assume to agitate OCDers). I asked "Aren't you gonna inspect anything, like brakes or lights?" Her answer: "I don't have to do anything but check your VIN against a data base of VINs reported stolen and you passed. Oh, and I have to give you this little form XYZ [I can't remember] for the licensing department at the court house."

The other 3 trailers I've owned never had a fresh sticker although one had an old one.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49 / '14 = 74 / '15 = 74 / '16 = 85 / '17 = 110 / '18 = 0; booked = 28
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:48 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt Shaker View Post
Quote:
Please explain to me why I need to pay someone to check my lights. I am religous on trailer maintanance. My trailers aren't having near the infastructure impact of say mexican semis. Look at some of those rigs.
Reason #1 is that it's the law, and as we know no one is above the law (politicians apparently excluded).

Reason #2 I would venture a guess that over 50% of utility trailers on the road in Texas that is required to be inspected are currently up to passing a inspection.
It chaps my cheeks to be behind a trailer where you can't see the lights on the two vehicle and the trailer lights either don't work or are not even present.

2015 Day/Nights Camped 5
Old 03-15-2015, 09:28 AM   #17

Not to change the subject, but I would like to see a law making it illegal to leave a hitch and ball extension sticking out of a hitch receiver on a vehicle. Too many truck owners back into parking spaces where the rear over hang of the truck bed blocks the sidewalks. If the hitch and ball are left in place this results in blocking almost the entire side walk. Not to mention they hurt to walk in to.

2015 Day/Nights Camped 5
Old 03-15-2015, 09:38 AM   #18
RKR

I also just found out about the inspections when I went to tag my trailer.
I live in the San Antonio area and checked around a little. The only place I found so far that does inspections is Camping World. They said just bring it in, no appointment necessary. I can already see myself spending the whole day there getting this done.
Has anyone in the SA area had this yet and if so where did you take yours ?

Sent from my high tech gadget
Old 03-15-2015, 10:05 AM   #19

This is my second 5r in 8 years and I have always had them inspected. A friend and neighbor of mine is a state trooper, when I got the first 5r he come over to see what I bought. One of the first things he said was better get a inspection sticker on it. I have my trailers inspected at the same place that does cars. trucks, motorcycles or anything else that requires stickers. From what I understand if they are an official state inspection station they are required to inspect any vehicle or trailer that requires state inspection. They check all the lights, tires and vin #. They also had me pull the safety cable and try to move the trailer to see if the wheels would lock. Oh and one more thing they want to see your insurance for the truck. Now I am in a bit of a dilemma. My current inspection is due this month and registration is due in November with the inspection due within 90 days of registration. Do I chance going 5 months with expired sticker or do I pay for inspection twice this year, hmmm, decisions decisions. Gotta love this great state of Texas.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 12:26 PM   #20

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind paying for a service...paying someone to see if my lights work and giving me a sticker that says they work...is a crock...not a service.

Lose the 2nd and the rest will follow.
Salt Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote