Old 03-15-2015, 05:38 PM   #21

Any certified inspection station should be able to do the inspection.

Old 03-15-2015, 11:13 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKR View Post
I also just found out about the inspections when I went to tag my trailer.
I live in the San Antonio area and checked around a little. The only place I found so far that does inspections is Camping World. They said just bring it in, no appointment necessary. I can already see myself spending the whole day there getting this done.
Has anyone in the SA area had this yet and if so where did you take yours ?
Last year we got ours done at Texas RV Supply on Austin Hwy - http://www.txrvsupply.com/ Haven't gotten around to doing it yet this year! They did it with no problem. Give them a call and see what they say.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:09 AM   #23
RKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannjen View Post
Last year we got ours done at Texas RV Supply on Austin Hwy - http://www.txrvsupply.com/ Haven't gotten around to doing it yet this year! They did it with no problem. Give them a call and see what they say.

Thanks, I'll give them a call.

Sent from my high tech gadget
Old 03-16-2015, 09:20 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt Shaker View Post
Don't get me wrong, I don't mind paying for a service...paying someone to see if my lights work and giving me a sticker that says they work...is a crock...not a service.
You will not get a sticker, you will not be able to renew your registration if you don't get the inspection. (They got you)
PhoneDude 8289 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:41 AM   #25
Now a "Top Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoneDude 8289 View Post
Now I am in a bit of a dilemma. My current inspection is due this month and registration is due in November with the inspection due within 90 days of registration. Do I chance going 5 months with expired sticker or do I pay for inspection twice this year, hmmm, decisions decisions. Gotta love this great state of Texas.
PhoneDude...the way it works is, if your inspection is current, you just pay the registration. They check the registration sticker through the inspection station computer. All of them (one article said) are tied into the Texas registration computer system. The same goes with your cars/trucks. They scan or check the registration sticker, and if the inspection is good, it's registration only. If both are due the same month, you have to have the inspection prior to registration.
Ride-Rite Airbags and Airlift wireless remote compressor...nice!

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:50 AM   #26
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt Shaker View Post
Don't get me wrong, I don't mind paying for a service...paying someone to see if my lights work and giving me a sticker that says they work...is a crock...not a service.
Bottom line, you will pay for someone to inspect your lights whether you like it or not.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:15 PM   #27

Most inspection stations will do the required inspection on RV trailers and it only costs $14.50. It has been the law for a very long time and I would get it done and yes they only check the breaks and lights.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:28 PM   #28

What I find a ironic is that with all the groaning, moaning and complaining about paying for a safety inspection on trailers in Texas. Most of which are about it only covers inspecting the VIN, lights and brakes, Not a one of you have stopped to complain about having to pay the same fee for the same instpection if you drive a diesel powered vehicle in the state of Texas since we don't do emission testing here in state.

2015 Day/Nights Camped 5
2014 Day/Nights Camped 29
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 12:55 PM   #29

Texas Inspections

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoneDude 8289 View Post
This is my second 5r in 8 years and I have always had them inspected. A friend and neighbor of mine is a state trooper, when I got the first 5r he come over to see what I bought. One of the first things he said was better get a inspection sticker on it. I have my trailers inspected at the same place that does cars. trucks, motorcycles or anything else that requires stickers. From what I understand if they are an official state inspection station they are required to inspect any vehicle or trailer that requires state inspection. They check all the lights, tires and vin #. They also had me pull the safety cable and try to move the trailer to see if the wheels would lock. Oh and one more thing they want to see your insurance for the truck. Now I am in a bit of a dilemma. My current inspection is due this month and registration is due in November with the inspection due within 90 days of registration. Do I chance going 5 months with expired sticker or do I pay for inspection twice this year, hmmm, decisions decisions. Gotta love this great state of Texas.
Why would you need to get the inspection done twice? Inspections are good for 1year.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:10 PM   #30

My TT came with an inspection in 2013. Then in 2014, I got a new sticker. It has been the law for 50 years or more, but has rarely been enforced. Some places may not be able to do the inspection due to lack of space. Check before you haul the trailer to your normal inspection place. The mechanic only checked my lights and tires when I took mine in.