Old 06-18-2015, 01:21 PM   #11
How cheap can we do it? (You can retire from engineering, but you're still an engineer.) Also, I know just how clean the sheets and bathrooms are!

2013 Flagstaff T12SC Hardwall Pop-up
2013 Chevrolet Silverado
bentbev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 01:21 PM   #12
Hotzfamily, I'm with you though there are a few things important to me. We love the outdoors and are somewhat picky about our campgrounds/campsites. Though I am sure it will change some, we pretty much hang around the site or drive the area if the weather is bad. We, for the most part prefer public campgrounds because the sites are usually larger and there is more privacy. DH will retire in 6 mos. so we will head west with no time frame in mind. Looking forward to having no time constraints. As it stands now we go camping over holiday weekends to allow more time to camp. The older I get, the more isolation I seek. No more crowds unless it is a weekend festival or something of that nature.

2 Old Geezers
2 Labradorables
2015 Dodge Ram 1500-Rambo
2015 Roo 21BD-L'ABode
lablover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 02:59 PM   #13
I also travelled the US with my father during the summer months and I agree that it must be addictive, I enjoy the drive as much or more than the camping.
mlwilliams808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 03:05 PM   #14
we bought our first trailer 5 years ago, then upgraded to the trailer we have now two years ago. Our kids love camping and i love that we get to show them the country side in economical way. Its about family time sharing with the ones you love! I also believe that its great for the kids social skills, when we get into a campground my wife takes the girls to the play ground while I set up camp. By the time I have finished (one Beer) setting up the kids have made "new" best friends. These are memories that you can't put a price tag on. Thats the important thing, Enjoying the family time, meeting new people and traveling, Cant get much better then that!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1434657869.184089.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	80380
burch42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 03:38 PM   #15
I enjoy the planning of a trip almost as much as being there.

I start looking at the maps and trying to figure where we can go that we haven't been before.
Having to figure out how far away we can go in the time frame we have off from work.
Researching websites, trying to find a place that is convenient and nice(to our standards) to stay.
Looking for sites to see and places to eat.
Planning an itinerary or just having something to do once we get there.
By always planning to do too much and not having enough time to do it means we'll have to come back!
Getting on the road early and seeing the sun come up over the horizon is one of my special memories.
Arriving at the destination and then in the back of your head, starting the countdown of how many days we have left before we have to go back home.
I envy those of you that have no clocks to punch.
Go where you want, when you want and stay as long as you want.
One day.......
2012 Flagstaff V Lite 30 WRLTS
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.7 Mag Hemi 3.72 Rearaxle
Nights camped 2015 = 23
Nights camped 2016 = 12!
Bamaganza '16 site A25 Maybe
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 04:09 PM   #16
I had a long commute to work for a lot of years. While I enjoyed the trip in to work (4am) with no traffic, I despised the trip home. My wife and I are into the destination.We try to remember everything because we do not under any circumstances like to leave the campground.
2015 274 RK LIMITED <'{{{{><
captainperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 04:43 PM   #17
Retired from foreign service 10 years ago and DW thought that I had it with traveling. So she went out and bought an Class A and dragged me on a 10 day shake down cruise. I have never looked back and thank her for knowing what I didn't know I wanted. Love driving, always have, always will but I also like staying in a resort and meet people. I like all aspects of it. We usually take 2 to 3 weeks to get to our destination and again 2 to 3 weeks going home. We like to meander and do side trips. Drive safe and hope to see you on the road.
Marcel & Jenne
Kemptville, ON
2014 Rockwood 8282WS
2015 Ford F150 Eco-Boost
BusyRetirees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 05:39 PM   #18
My folks were full-time RV'rs. As I am fast approaching retirement i am looking forward to be hitting the road and new experiences at the stops.
lckeehne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 05:41 PM   #19
RV (Not so) Noob
Haven't been RVing long but we enjoy seeing and being in different places whether in the RV or hotel. There are a few places we like to go back to but I usually try to pick more new places to try. It's part of the adventure. Back when I didn't have kids I would occasionally just go get "lost" to see what's out there. Don't like the long drives much though. I'm good for about 6 - 8 hours and 2 days max. Anything longer and I want to fly.

Although, a trip to the Grand Canyon or similar has been on my mind for the future.
Me, Wifey, Thing 1 & 2 plus Gracie the Shitzu rescue
FR Shamrock 233S 2015
2008 Tacoma Double Cab
Glindz233s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 05:51 PM   #20
I enjoy the drive and the destination. I've tented my whole life. Rving is new to us this year but we can't get enough of it. I really enjoy setting up camp and puttering around the site. I love campfires and have one going all day. We almost always take the grandkids and that's really special. It's funny how I can burn a piece of bread on the fire and the kids load it up with the wife's homemade jam and they say it's the BEST thing they have ever had. I guess I'd have to say I just love camping.....period! I have an evening coffee in the trailer almost every nite.

larryo is offline   Reply With Quote