Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2015, 02:39 PM   #1

The case for and against covering an RV for storage

So I am admittedly new to the RV world. I've purchased my RV, and tow vehicle, have some trips planned but am keeping a keen eye on the date and realize that I will have to winterize before I know it. As such, can you give me the pros/cons to putting a tarp/cover on an RV for winter storage? Do you do it? If so why? Do you leave your unit exposed? If so why?
stantyszka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 02:49 PM   #2

Leave mine uncovered.

Reason why, dealer recommended it. I live in a cooler damper client with lots of snow. He stated to keep it waxed well and that is the best protection. He advised he would sell me one if I really want one but stated they can be hard to take on and off and he has seen damage to the roof while it is being applied and taken off when not careful. As well he feels there have been a connection to decals coming off and hard to remove dark spots in the camper finish. Although they are breathable they are not perfect.

Ultimately the less I am on the roof the better off it will be. He added if I did cover, buy tennis balls and put them over your rain spouts to protect them, have seen a number of them snapped off.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:55 PM   #3

Wow....awesome feedback. My dealer recommended 2-3 times a year to get up on the roof an inspect for cracks. We never hit the topic of covering an RV, I was too overwhelmed with learning the ins and outs of my unit. Never towed anything, never owned a camper so buying a 30 foot/5700 pound TT has been a touch overwhelming. I guess I was approaching it from the aspect of car covers but in reality, it compares a little more to a house which I don't cover in the winter. I am in the Southern New Jersey area. Lately we have been seeing our fair share of cold winters with snow and ice. I am just trying to figure out the best way I can protect my investment. I want to keep this unit in the best shape possible. Anxious to hear from others on this.
Old 04-29-2015, 03:08 PM   #4

I am from Nova Scotia but actually in Jersey on business.

If you can store it indoors is best but for most unrealistic. the advice of getting up on the roof and checking it is sound, not going to hurt it. Also it was recommended to wash the roof at the start of the season with blue dawn dish soap to remove dirt and bird droppings.

One bit of advice when it comes to snow, leave it on there. This was from my dealer, they have never cleared their campers, they have never seen snow collapse a camper roof, they are engineered strong, they repair a few every year that were damaged when someone was trying to remove the snow.

Wax,wax and more wax protects the finish. I use a spray on wax but also spend the time on the cap with a mothers wax. When applying the non wash wax I do not wax the decals based on other reviews. Some state that the wax can get under the decal and cause it to lift. Real pain not to wax over it but I spend the time doing it. I cannot confirm if this is true, I did read it on another post for a Thor product regarding my last camper.
Old 04-29-2015, 03:14 PM   #5

X96, what kind of wax do you use? How often do you wash and wax yours? My dealer said 1x per month.

Where in NJ are you on Business? NJ gets slagged for a lot of things, but I've lived in the state all my life - it's a nice place to live.
Old 04-29-2015, 03:35 PM   #6

The only cover I recommend is a building. Where we live it is always windy & a cover doesn't last but a year or less & it beats up the camper.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 03:40 PM   #7

Boy it would be nice to store in a building...
Old 04-29-2015, 03:49 PM   #8

I wash and wax it roughly three times a year. Sometimes more if I travel dirt roads. Usually watch the water needing, when it starts to not need I will do it again. Keep in mind I only see 3 weeks a year above 90f and maybe one day above 100f, I would most likely do it more if I had higher temps beating down on it. I was taught by an older RVer who has his unit in Florida and he follows a similar routine. When you look at his trailer compared to those around it, night and day difference!

I will need to check what I use, do not know it off hand, will be home in a few weeks. Works well, water really beeds off the camper and lasts a while!

I am in Parsippany primarily, head to Jersey City and Manhattan a couple of days here and there.
Old 04-29-2015, 03:54 PM   #9

Yeah I would think that the summer heat and sun would be more destructive, seems to me that good habits and routines established now will pay off in the future for long term use, or trade in/resale.

Enjoy your time in NJ. I am in the other end of the state, a few miles east of Philadelphia PA.
Old 04-29-2015, 04:06 PM   #10

I keep mine covered when not in use which is about 330 days a year. I just feel better with it being covered. I feel the sun and elements do more damage than could possibly be done by the RV Cover. I do NOT use a tarp. You want a breathable cover. I am currently using the ADCO with a tyvek top. It is doing a good job. Do not expect it to last more than two years but that is just the price you need to pay to keep it protected. If it only costs me $10/month to protect it, then I can live with that.

I live in Boston so we see both the cold and the hot humid weather.

I own a pop up so it is not all that difficult to uncover. My roof is only 6' high. I understand the thoughts of those with 10' TT's.

Others have different opinions as stated above.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 12:21 PM   #11
StlClay

I wax my Mini Lite twice a year with carnuba wax. Big believer in that type of wax. Inspect the roof everytime I have it in my driveway. Rockwood literature reccomends Spic and Span for roof. I also follow the literature for the awning. Rig looks great and I keep after any black streaks with the carnuba wax. Never have considered a cover and most inmy storage location do not use one.
Stlcaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 12:31 PM   #12

Just for the record, I always kept my 5er's and now my coach covered with the Adco Tyvek covers.

No complaints and a very easy to clean roof in the spring.

I don't like leaving anything exposed to the elements.

Like said before, make sure things like the rain spouts on the 5er's are covered with a tennis ball, bubble wrap or anything else you can think of, to protect the cover.
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 12:36 PM   #13

I recently started to keep mine covered because the sun here will cause fading and decal cracking. It also keeps the sun from getting in and fading the fabric inside and keeps it cooler.

2015 Evo 2700
2017 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi 4.10
Evo2700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 12:40 PM   #14

We don't cover ours. Lucky to have it stored on the side of the house plus we live in S Calif. I like to go out there and just relax and maybe take a nap. Nice and quiet so don't want to deal with a cover. I keep it washed and waxed and any seams repaired asap. Love my little sideyard retreat!
wildwoodtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 12:41 PM   #15

does anyone cover only the skylights?
Rockwoodjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 01:48 PM   #16

Also if moister get under the tarp or cover you will end up with a rig covered in mold. I seen this more than once.
j free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 02:09 PM   #17

I started keeping the trailer covered about 2 years ago. That started when our then trailer, a 2009 Wilderness 26RKS, had been improperly built leaving out a 'bow' that connected the roof to the front cap. We, and actually no one else, had noticed the defect either, we later found out the part was not there and the rubber roof was just sitting there with goop and screws holding it but to nothing underneath. 2012, as I was getting it ready to go for the summer I found that over the winter water had gotten into that area of the roof to nose cap, frozen (we're in North Idaho) then as it thawed and melted the snow / rain flooded the cabinet over the bed and had run down through the wardrobe flooding the carpet in the bedroom. Some of the laminate on the cabinetry "ran" where water had sat there for a while. It did dry with no mold or frame damage just cosmetic damage and then we found out our extended warranty didn't cover roofing problems. We ultimately spent $1,100.00 to get the roof fixed, the missing bow installed but I wasn't going to chance that again and started using a cover. We had no other problems. Last fall we traded the Wilderness in on a 2015 Wildcat and we got one of the ADCO Tyvek covers for it. I know that none of the multitude of RV dealerships in the Coeur D'Alene and Spokane areas use covers, but I didn't want the hassle again. We are planning on putting up one of those metal RV covers, hopefully sooner than later or before we have to get a new cover, because I know the throw on covers don't last. We used to live in the Southern California desert and know all too well how the sun destroys interiors and exteriors!
Tdbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 02:27 PM   #18

I have a 12X20 foot tarp canopy with 8 legs for my 19' Shamrock 183... I have modified the legs to be 10 foot tall by using 10 foot metal electrical conduit available at HD. I have the top staked down using ratchet straps on both sides for protection against wind. This keeps the sun off the roof, most of the rain off the roof, and allows for air circulation on the top. I use a $60 heavy duty silver/white 14 X 20 tarp on the top of the canopy which needs replacing about every 18 months or so.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 05:07 PM   #19

My 2 cents, live where we get normally 5 feet of snow, so no covering during winter, as I go up and carefully with a plastic shovel get some off, but I keep it cover all the time during the summer months as most rv these days are made of GELCO and sun and rays are bad for the finish, hope this helps.
Claude002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:54 PM   #20

Always covered our trailer. It is left at the CG on Cape Cod all winter under the trees. Was always afraid of smaller branches coming down onto the roof and possibly scarring or tearing the roof membrane.Always left a window slightly open as well as a roof vent opened a bit. This allowed at least a little airflow.
Small price to pay for peace of mind.
IMO...You never see dealers with theirs covered because they want potential customers to be able to see the products. Kind of difficult showing a trailer if you have to keep putting covers on and off.

Tags
cover, storage