Old 02-23-2015, 10:32 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

With the Flagstaff & Rockwood lite wt 5ers all having the Reese Sidewinder pin boxes, there is no need for a slider hitch because the trailer will pivot 22" behind the hitch pin if you activate the Sidewinder feature.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:12 PM   #12
Site Team

If you do this, you might want to look into the Anderson Hitch as it is lighter weight and will save you payload. Not sure how well it works with the short bed but a Thought for you.

asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 06:23 AM   #13
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
If you do this, you might want to look into the Anderson Hitch as it is lighter weight and will save you payload. Not sure how well it works with the short bed but a Thought for you.
Don't know how you hook a Sidewinder to an Anderson.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:41 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
You need to look at the bottom of the sidewinder it will give you what hitch will work. I have a Husky 16 k. Don't fall for that 90 degree turn front nose it will not do it with a short bed hence SIDEWINDER. Never have to worry about your turning radius. Don't know about your weight thing, I let that to others and of course you.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:59 AM   #15

Thanks for all the advice regarding our desire to upgrade to the 8280WS 5er. Some of the suggested items we have, ie the factory tow mirrors and factory tow package w/brake controller and all the cooling add ons like bigger trans cooler and HD rad. Also, when we replaced the standard 20" Wranglers before our trip to Millersberg last fall we went up to the 20" E-rated Michelins. Made a big difference in ride and handling. We have no doubt the TV will haul the trailer. We're mostly concerned about configuration. We haul our MimiLite 2304 with no problems while at max payload because the lack of storage in the MiniLite causes the truck bed to get loaded up with stuff that we can't safely put in the trailer for travel. The additional storage space in the 5er "should" ease that problem, so I'm lead to believe. The air bags are going on this spring regardless of the purchase of the 5er or not, but the 3.92 gear will only go in if we buy. We never considered upgrading the shocks but it could be worth looking at. Still need to decide on a hitch. Again, thanks to all for the help.
2011 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 2wd Hemi 3:55 gear
Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2604WS
maggiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 01:15 PM   #16
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zs325RES View Post
Opps
Supposed to be a text LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Now that is original!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 05:04 PM   #17

re: the dreaded upgrade questions

Ok, the sober second review that lead to the painful tenth review is done. After all the information was gathered and reviewed, all the advice from folks on this forum, truck dealer, our RV dealer and friends...... we've decided to move away from the fifth wheel. Although the TV would likely pull it, it would require some serious modifications in the form of new gear, some other suspension upgrades and not to mention an expensive hitch, or forbid the thought.... replacement!!!!! So, after some more looking we have put an offer in for a Rockwood 2604WS Emerald Edition Ultra Lite. It has a nice floor plan, has about the same interior space, a year newer(2015) than the 5er and more importantly..... the TV can pull it with no problem as it is.
We want to thank all who took the time to offer their thoughts, they helped with the sober review. Will post pics when the new one is in the yard. Again thanks to all for your help.
2011 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 2wd Hemi 3:55 gear
Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2604WS
maggiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 05:20 PM   #18
Site Team

Congrats on the new Rockwood. It will likely be a better match to your truck. Enjoy the new TT!

asquared is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade