Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2015, 05:57 PM   #1

the dreaded upgrade questions

After a few happy years with our Mini-Lite, and a loooong trip to Millersberg to get some structural repairs done last fall, we think it's time to move on. Thinking of a Rockwood Signature UltaLite 5er. The model we're looking at is the 8280WS. A couple of questions come to mind, such as:
1. it says it is 1/2 ton towable. We have a Ram 1500 5.7. With a gear upgrade to a 3.92 the book says it will haul 10,300# with a payload of just shy of 1600# with the 20" tires. So, realistically, is this doable. The trailer is 9500 GVWR.
2. Also, with a pin weight of around 1100#(dry) I expect to need a set of air bags to stabilize the coil springs while trying to stay somewhere near the max payload of the TV.
3. suggestions as to a good slider hitch as the Ram is a short box.
Those are the three big questions, but feel free to forward any advice, other than ranting that the only way is with a bigger truck. Thanks in advance.
2011 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 2wd Hemi 3:55 gear
Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2604WS
maggiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 01:25 PM   #2

I would run airbags on any TV for my preference.

Some dodge don't come with fold out mirrors but you will want them with a fifth wheel.

I use a Reese slider. Sure there are better ones but mine was free as a friend went to gooseneck.

I would want air ride hitch on the camper too. If pulling very much.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 01:55 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Do you have a scale near you that you could weigh your truck? If so I would go weigh it with a full tank of gas and all occupants, pets and gear that will be in it when towk g. You want to get the front and rear axles weighed separately. Take the weight of the rear axle and subtract it from the gross RAWR to see how much pin weight your rear axle can really handle. Take the total weight of your truck and subtract it from the gcwr to get your adjusted towing capacity. Take the total weight of your truck and subtract it from its gvwr to get your available payload. These numbers will be more realistic for you. Now realize your fifth wheel hitch will eat up about 150 lbs of payload as well.

Now looking at the trailer. According to the specs I found online.... it has a dry weight of 7513 and a gvwr of 9050 lbs. That is only 1500 lbs of cargo capacity so given averages, you will be around 8500-9000 lbs loaded weight. Let's go with the lower number of 8500 lbs. Typically you want pin weight of around 20-25% of loaded trailer weight. 20% of 8500 is 1700 lbs. Based on your payload numbers above, Your will be overloaded with this trailer and truck combo. So no I do not think it is doable.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 02:05 PM   #4

Since you don't want the recommendations of a bigger truck don't they make the same size truck in a 3/4 ton seriously be sure your not going to overload that thing if you do pull the trigger. I use a one ton for a reason. Don't guess on how much you will carry get some totes put everything in them and weigh them separately or in the truck after weighing it, takes out the guess work.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:26 PM   #5

Check before you buy a slider. if your trailer front end is designed for 90 deg turning you may not need it on a 6.5 ft box. I bought a superglide and it sure takes the worry out but I am not sure I ever really needed it with my new fifth wheel.
palmetto rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:18 PM   #6

I like you am looking at a 1/2 ton 5r. I have an F150 max tow EB but my concern is the payload. Mine on the sticker is 1708 but when I figure all the variables I don't see how I can do it and stay at or under payload. I sure would like to have one though. I'm at payload with my current trailer and don't really feel comfortable with it. It's only 5 months old and I'm going to sell it for a lighter trailer.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:37 PM   #7

I think you will be over your numbers on what the truck is rated to haul. I think your truck will struggle with the weight. Just my opinion I would rather haul the 5er then some of the 6500pd 34ft trailers though.

Air bags will be a must and not a maybe.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:15 PM   #8

I've got the same TV as you. I put the TLC with remote control air bags on mine. I would highly recommend getting it. As for your camper imha your overloaded. There are a few 5rs out there built for 1/2 ton. Hope this helps.

Ram 1500
Big Horn
Hemi 5.7 2011
Salem 30KQBSS 2012
DougP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:43 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

That is the sister to the Flagstaff 8528RKWS that we have. The listed pin wt is 1159 and is well within your capacity. When I drop ours loaded on the truck, it drops the rear approx. 1"-1-1/2" which I get back by adding 45# air to the airbags. Even without the air bags, I am still not down on the factory overload springs. I do have LR E tires on the truck. I don't think you will have any problems whatsoever regardless of what the wt police say. I've towed ours with a 3.23 rear end over 40,000 miles in all the mountains east of the Mississippi with no problems. I don't and can't run 55-65 up the mountains, but neither can the semis.

If you have coil springs in the rear, I would definitely get air bags and some good aftermarket shocks. LT LR E tires are also needed.

You don't need a slider as the 5er has the Sidewinder pinbox as I run a full bed hard tonneau cover while pulling ours.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:11 PM   #10

I had an 2008 ram QC with the Hemi and towed our wildcat 5er with it for a few years. I never had a need for a slider hitch. Just watch what you're doing. The closest I would come was backing into the driveway at home and never had any trouble. The sliding hitch is going to add weight that is going to take away from the payload you have available. Yes to airbags. They're not going to add to your weight capacity but they'll make the ride much more stable. They are easy to install and you don't need an onboard compressor if you don't want it. Just air them up when you leave home. You can either get slip on towing mirrors but the factory folding tow mirrors that dodge has are awesome and you should get them. I've had both. That hemi will pull just fine, we pulled from SD to TN with a BBQ pit behind the 5er and there are some big hills in MO! Where the Hemi sucks is a strong crosswind, for that I love the Cummins but on a nice day I could pull at 60 and get 11 mpg with that Hemi. The change for us was the want for a full crew cab without the really short box. You're probably going to be over weight once you're all loaded up and I was too. Take a look around, a lot of people are.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:32 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

With the Flagstaff & Rockwood lite wt 5ers all having the Reese Sidewinder pin boxes, there is no need for a slider hitch because the trailer will pivot 22" behind the hitch pin if you activate the Sidewinder feature.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:12 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

If you do this, you might want to look into the Anderson Hitch as it is lighter weight and will save you payload. Not sure how well it works with the short bed but a Thought for you.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:23 AM   #13
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
If you do this, you might want to look into the Anderson Hitch as it is lighter weight and will save you payload. Not sure how well it works with the short bed but a Thought for you.
Don't know how you hook a Sidewinder to an Anderson.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:41 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
You need to look at the bottom of the sidewinder it will give you what hitch will work. I have a Husky 16 k. Don't fall for that 90 degree turn front nose it will not do it with a short bed hence SIDEWINDER. Never have to worry about your turning radius. Don't know about your weight thing, I let that to others and of course you.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:59 AM   #15

Thanks for all the advice regarding our desire to upgrade to the 8280WS 5er. Some of the suggested items we have, ie the factory tow mirrors and factory tow package w/brake controller and all the cooling add ons like bigger trans cooler and HD rad. Also, when we replaced the standard 20" Wranglers before our trip to Millersberg last fall we went up to the 20" E-rated Michelins. Made a big difference in ride and handling. We have no doubt the TV will haul the trailer. We're mostly concerned about configuration. We haul our MimiLite 2304 with no problems while at max payload because the lack of storage in the MiniLite causes the truck bed to get loaded up with stuff that we can't safely put in the trailer for travel. The additional storage space in the 5er "should" ease that problem, so I'm lead to believe. The air bags are going on this spring regardless of the purchase of the 5er or not, but the 3.92 gear will only go in if we buy. We never considered upgrading the shocks but it could be worth looking at. Still need to decide on a hitch. Again, thanks to all for the help.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:15 PM   #16
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zs325RES View Post
Opps
Supposed to be a text LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Now that is original!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 05:04 PM   #17

re: the dreaded upgrade questions

Ok, the sober second review that lead to the painful tenth review is done. After all the information was gathered and reviewed, all the advice from folks on this forum, truck dealer, our RV dealer and friends...... we've decided to move away from the fifth wheel. Although the TV would likely pull it, it would require some serious modifications in the form of new gear, some other suspension upgrades and not to mention an expensive hitch, or forbid the thought.... replacement!!!!! So, after some more looking we have put an offer in for a Rockwood 2604WS Emerald Edition Ultra Lite. It has a nice floor plan, has about the same interior space, a year newer(2015) than the 5er and more importantly..... the TV can pull it with no problem as it is.
We want to thank all who took the time to offer their thoughts, they helped with the sober review. Will post pics when the new one is in the yard. Again thanks to all for your help.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:20 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats on the new Rockwood. It will likely be a better match to your truck. Enjoy the new TT!

Tags
upgrade