Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2014, 07:55 AM   #1

The ease of breaking and entering.

I have been adding some doors under my bed so that we can access part of the area without going outside and opening the storage door. It just dawned on me that anyone with a 751 key can open my outside storage door, crawl into the storage area and push the plywood panel and mattress up and they are in my camper. Guess the camper is none too secure.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:02 AM   #2

I replaced those locks pretty quick.
A while back someone broke into the storage in my 832ikbs. I could not figure out why. The surge protector and everything else seemed to still be there. Well, on our last trip earlier this month I found out what they took during my hookup. All my clips. Good thing I had spares...as they should have.

On mine they wouldn't have been able to get into the trailer because the end of the bed slides under the wardrobe about 6 inches...

Sent from my iPad 6 using Forest River Forums
Old 08-14-2014, 08:13 AM   #3

Even a (Rookie Thief) with a flat blade screwdriver can open a compartment door in (5 seconds)! They don't even need a Key! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:20 AM   #4

Easy enough to set up an alarm with a loud car horn. Normally open door switches and a bypass switch. Hooked to a small battery and horn in the compartment. Worry about that myself.

Started Out With Nothing,
Still Have Most Of It Left!
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:42 AM   #5

I have wondered about the 751 keys. I also found that you can order them online for just a couple dollars. Are there locks that you can buy for the compartment storage areas that are better
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:45 AM   #6

Someone said they went to Home Depot and bought file cabinet locks and installed them. I bought different locks from the local RV place but I'm sure those keys are also readily available.

Started Out With Nothing,
Still Have Most Of It Left!
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:01 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I have been thinking of just putting stainless steel tangs and locking with a conventional Padlock. Remove when travelling lock when parked. I have seen the round tumbler locks but with ice and salt they will be useless very soon.

Brian
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:19 AM   #8

Like the man said, "If a thief wants in, they will get in". I did change all locks on our RV just to keep the honest people honest at the camp site and at the storage lot.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:49 AM   #9

I had a camera setup in my tt.. I could monitor (from my smart phone)and record anything in the Tt..it would even send me emails with video if it sensed movement..worked anywhere as long as you have Internet access..

All you need is a ip camera ($50-60) a wireless router($50) and a wifi connection..

I was able to see that during the off season mice had entered my Tt ..500mile away..
speedjester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedjester View Post
I had a camera setup in my tt.. I could monitor (from my smart phone)and record anything in the Tt..it would even send me emails with video if it sensed movement..worked anywhere as long as you have Internet access..

All you need is a ip camera ($50-60) a wireless router($50) and a wifi connection..

I was able to see that during the off season mice had entered my Tt ..500mile away..
lol. Really? It picked up some mice scampering around?

That is some high tech equipment you got.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:46 AM   #11
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfun1 View Post
I have been adding some doors under my bed so that we can access part of the area without going outside and opening the storage door. It just dawned on me that anyone with a 751 key can open my outside storage door, crawl into the storage area and push the plywood panel and mattress up and they are in my camper. Guess the camper is none too secure.
A hinged locking hasp installed between the bed base and that plywood panel would prevent lifting it up/providing access to the interior.

We have a laundry in the cabinet under our bathroom sink gives total access to the interior of our 5er from the basement storage, BUT, it'd have to be a tiny toddler to get through that hole. We don't use it for laundry to Sneak fabricated a cover for the hole...didn't secure it. During the winter we're able to leave the vanity door open, remove the cover and add more heat to the basement area with a tiny (5"x5") electric heater in the bathroom.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 11:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmaker View Post
lol. Really? It picked up some mice scampering around?

That is some high tech equipment you got.

Vin.
Vin it's actually cheap stuff..lol it picks up everything... If a hornet buzzes in front of it ..it triggers...you can adjust the sensitivity.. But since there should be no movement in he trailer when unoccupied I set to be very sensitive...I'm planing on setting it backup in my georgetown....
speedjester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:46 PM   #13

Changed the few locks on my Roo to combo locks. Made my own three number combination and never searching for the keys to get into storage compartments. One downside is looking at numbers in the dark Will they really keep someone out? Maybe a deterrent for some, but if someone wants in bad enough, they'll find a way.

2019 Vibe 261BHS
2021 RAM 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4
5.7L Hemi, 3.92 rear
Husky Centerline TS WD Hitch
Buckeyecmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:10 PM   #14

I replaced mine so the door key matches the storage locks. It took three orders before I finally figured out how to measure them. I have 1 1/8 and 1 3/8 locks for anyone that wants them, you pay the shipping. I was going to return them but the shipping is more than the locks are worth. For that cost I'll just keep them.

Search Results

My first
kho6658 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyecmpr View Post
Changed the few locks on my Roo to combo locks. Made my own three number combination and never searching for the keys to get into storage compartments. One downside is looking at numbers in the dark Will they really keep someone out? Maybe a deterrent for some, but if someone wants in bad enough, they'll find a way.
I did the same the Combicam locks are great. No more keys needed.
wickedwyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 03:04 PM   #16

Hi everyone I have a problem . I lost my keys to my TT . I own a 2703ws I need keys for it does anybody know how I could get the keys or the key numbers .
Tito021974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 03:08 PM   #17

That's how we got into my buddies when he locked his keys inside. Other than getting some screws in my back I got in
clutchd is offline   Reply With Quote