Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2013, 09:00 PM   #1

The Maiden Voyage on the West Coast of Florida

Well, where do I begin? the mishaps, the towing or how to get the appliances to work?

It's been two years since we sold our 30' travel trailer, we had it down to a science. We knew the in's and outs of that trailer with no problems.Towing was as simple as riding a bike. Now after a two year detour away from the RV lifestyle , we find ourselves feeling like newbies once again.

Breaking in our new Rockwood and Silverado was like starting from scratch.

Though I had no issues towing the trailer home when we first purchased it, this maiden voyage had me a little tense.

I have to get used to driving a gas silverado rather than the old diesel I once had, the diesel truck never seemed rev up and down as much as my new gasser. Did I make a mistake? Well I convinced my self that gas was cheaper than diesel, 10-12 miles per gallon mostly 10 was not far off from my 12-14 mpg of my old cummins truck. Ah and yes, the gas truck is way much cheaper to buy than a diesel truck. So I am good with that.

After driving about 3 hours or so, we finally made it to Turtle Beach Campground in Siesta Key. It's a very narrow stretch of parked rv's on your left and right, after having to find the neighbor across our site and have him move his vehicle I finally settled in our new girl in her site.

Once unhitched, I started to level her off when all of sudden she moved back rather quickly about 1-2 feet, the wife in side started screaming, I grabbing on to the side of the trailer trying to stop her from moving back, but the super powers I though I had where no where to be found. Thank god for post that stopped her from going through the fence. After I looked around I saw the culprit, a rather sunken area of sand in which the wheels slipped into. Lesson 1 always put the chucks in place before unhitching. Oh yea you have to buy them first! ha ha

Things, so far have gone smoothly and we are enjoying our new small home away from home.

We do have to figure out why the fridge does not work on auto, had to turn the gas on in order for it to get cold, we figured how to work the speakers on the tv after a half hour of playing with the darn thing, just to find out the reception was horrible.

All in all its been a good trip so far, I have to buy a new leveling leg, the other twisted when Bertha decided to move back on her own and I guess a pair of chucks from camping world will be very helpful also.

As I sit here on the couch writing these few lines, I still have a huge grin on my face knowing that I am blessed enough to be able to enjoy the rv lifestyle.

2014 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2109S
2013 Silverado 1500 5.3
Equalizer E2

Home Is Where You Park It
cruz305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:54 PM   #2

to the forum from another happy Rockwood owner! You'll be back in the groove in no time.
2012 Rockwood UltraLite 2304s trailer
timarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:28 AM   #3

Just set up our beach chairs, the beach is empty? wow lets see how long that last.
The morning is gorgeous so far so good, today looks like its going to be a blessed day once again.

2013 Silverado 1500 5.3
Equalizer E2

Old 05-27-2013, 07:38 AM   #4

Clancythecamper,

I read your post on my phone but for some reason I can't find it here? And I have no idea how to respond to it, but anyway thanks for responding, you should have dropped by and say hello, the beach this morning is quiet and and awesome. When is the rally in central florida? I would like to go! If your in the area today drop by and say hello, we will be on the beach two umbrellas next to the entrance (grean and blue chairs). May your stay here at turtle beach be a fantastic one !!

2013 Silverado 1500 5.3
Equalizer E2

Old 05-27-2013, 07:57 AM   #5

Tempting..... We have had a few white knuckle moments backing in there too. Very narrow; one of our favorite things about Ms Roo is that she's small enough to squeeze in most places

The rally is at sun n fun in Sarasota Oct 24-27. There's info on this forum under the F.R.O.G. Forum.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:05 AM   #6

By the way, what's the secret to getting the tv sound to work.... We still haven't figured that out. We get movies to come thru the speakers but not the tv. Do they have cable there? We don't like to pay extra because we don't watch a lot but we do like to watch some.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:08 PM   #7

For the TV audio press the mode button on the system till you get to AV1 wait a couple of seconds and it will turn on, if you still hear no audio after adjusting the volume (you have to use the volume control for the audio system not the tv) press the speaker buttons A, B or C until you hear the tv come through.

They have cable but I hear its really bad, our friends who are also camping here went to the local comcast office rented a filter from them and they now get all the channels, it's a rental piece and you don't have to be a comcast member to rent it.

2013 Silverado 1500 5.3
Equalizer E2

Old 05-27-2013, 07:10 PM   #8

Have a very wonderful time.
1998 Coachmen Leprechaun 31Q

Tonk Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:22 PM   #9

Well tonight is our last night, our home away from home has turned out to be totally awesome, we still need to learn the in's and out's, but we are 100% satisfied and happy with our purchase, tomorrow we head back home. I will give the dealer a call to figure out the auto control on the fridge. Our practice run went well, I need to buy and replace one of the level jacks that bent, buy the chocks, pack a few more things we forgot to pack and just get our Bertha ready for our next trip. Definitely thinking about going to the Sarasota Fun in the Sun event, so I have to research and plan for it.
Had a wonderful few days here in paradise and looking forward to many trips to come.

2013 Silverado 1500 5.3
Equalizer E2