Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2018, 07:02 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
There is no way I could ever have the feature on my truck that slows you down if you get to close to the person in front of you. I get so close to the vehicle in front of me that I can’t even see there license plate. That’s running 70mph pulling my Cedar Creek
Not sure just how to read this......is he proud/bragging about this kind of driving mentality/skills?? .....or is this meant as a kind of joke?? .....
Old 11-10-2018, 07:22 PM   #62

Been camping more than ten years and been a lot of places and never had a accident. I have disk brakes on my Cedar Creek, I can stop if I have to. Believe it or not I’m a careful driver. I start out at 63mph but I get tired of all the campers passing me and I speed up, normally I run 70. I see a lot of dumb drivers probably me included. I have fun and I love to drive
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 08:42 PM   #63
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
I hardly ever look at my Silverado speedometer, I always look at the speed in my Garmin
Same here...I never look at the analog speedometer dial.

I always look at the digital readout on the dashboard or the speedometer on my Rand McNally GPS unit.

(Wrong screen, but you get the idea.... )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	50000miles-IMAG0357.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	191168  
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:32 PM   #64

I tilt the steering wheel down and it’s almost impossible to see the miles per hour. I use cruise control. The Garmin also tells me if I’m speeding.
Old 11-11-2018, 12:03 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by tande View Post
Not sure just how to read this......is he proud/bragging about this kind of driving mentality/skills?? .....or is this meant as a kind of joke?? .....
Based on his very rude private message to me...not a joke.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:21 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Based on his very rude private message to me...not a joke.

I didn’t like your reply, I thought it best kept private. If you like I can post on here where everyone can read it. I have fun camping. You only get one chance at life, have the most fun you can. I enjoy helping others but in the end I follow my own road.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:54 AM   #67

Quote:
I didn’t like your reply, I thought it best kept private. If you like I can post on here where everyone can read it. I have fun camping. You only get one chance at life, have the most fun you can. I enjoy helping others but in the end I follow my own road.
I enjoy helping others too. That's the reason for my response. I showed your posts to a highway patrol buddy of mine. He has seen done what you describe you do.

He said that if he saw someone do what you describe, they would be arrested for reckless driving and would have zero problem putting them in jail.

Hopefully, you rethink doing that from now on.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 12:01 PM   #68

The best feature of my 2007 Duramax is that it is paid for and still looks/drives like new at 150k
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 12:27 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
The best feature of my 2007 Duramax is that it is paid for and still looks/drives like new at 150k

My 2012 Silverado is paid for and has 150,000 miles. It still looks good but I’m worry some about engine problems. I have never had a problem with this engine but I don’t know what’s the average miles for going in a Diesel engine. The truck runs great and better now that I deleted the emissions
Old 11-11-2018, 02:09 PM   #70

Thumbs up After Market step

Quote:
Originally Posted by katkt View Post
You can buy an after market step. The step bolts up where the frame and bumper are joined. It swings down, so you can step on it, and then onto the tailgate.

https://www.autoanything.com/hitch-b...ble-truck-step

I'm not sure if this is the brand I bought, or not. After paying cash to get one of my knees scoped, the price seems pretty reasonable. It works well, and although not as cool as a built in factory step, it does the job.

I have this same unit (Amp Research) mounted on my Ram. I have knee issues as well and needed something to help haul my ____ into the truck bed.
Living in Canada, and our associated crappy road conditions, I have not had an issue with the step in the four years it has been in use. Snow, salt, sand and gravel, no problem. Head to the car wash in January and it very nicely pivots down.

(And, FWIW, my buddy just traded off his 2012 Ram 3500 Cummins for a 2018 (19?). At time of trade, he had 365000 km on it. He is looking to retire next year and wanted a new truck and paid for before that time. My 2011 has 165000 km, free and clear).
2007 Corsair. 246 RKS. 5th
dnicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 07:27 PM   #71

tailgate laddet

I bought this to get in the bed of my GMC 2500
bought it at walmart for $40.00
folds against the tailgate
pic from walmart add
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tailgate ladder.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	191522  
tohara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 07:27 PM   #72

I have a debo step on rear of my truck- mounts next to trailer hitch and slides in and out. I love it - have a bad knee it helps a lot
Old 11-15-2018, 07:31 PM   #73

I just looked it up on www ( had it probably 6 years)
and I guess the company went out of business - shame
Old 11-15-2018, 08:18 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
So I guess it was an option. Too bad I can't retrofit it with it. Didn't see anything online.
Buy a tailgate from junk yard that has one???

Plano, TX
2014 Flagstaff V-Lite 26WRB towed by a 2019 Ford F-150 King Ranch EB
ldnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:32 PM   #75

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
It's entirely integrated into the tailgate, so you should be able to get a replacement tailgate that has it integrated. On the 2015, it might have still been the older style like this:

Perhaps try the local junk yards?

Regarding the OP's link, the new GM tailgate step seems interesting. I could possibly even see use for it when hooking up the fifth wheel with its ability to fold only part of the tailgate instead putting down the whole thing. Still probably would have went with the Ford, but this would really swayed a lot of weight to the GM.

2015 Models are the new models with Aluminum beds and has the newer and much easier to use bed step in them.

We have one on our 2017 and now that I have had one every truck from now on will have one!
'17 XLT Screw | Oxford White | FX4 | 3.5L EB | 3.55 ELD | 302A |Chrome Pkg | Max Tow Pkg w/TBC | 36 Gal. Tank | Bak MX4 & BedRug | WeatherTech Deflectors, Floor Liners, & Mud Flaps | VA Navi | SYNC 3 Connect | Tailgate Step & Damper | Husky Liners | Goodyear Wrangler Fortitude HT 275/65R18

My wife and I are looking for our 1st travel trailer.
LynnGlaze13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:35 PM   #76

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldnail View Post
Buy a tailgate from junk yard that has one???

A plain tailgate usually runs in the $1000.00 range so one with the step would be a little higher but worth it. You could then sell yours to recoup some of the costs.
'17 XLT Screw | Oxford White | FX4 | 3.5L EB | 3.55 ELD | 302A |Chrome Pkg | Max Tow Pkg w/TBC | 36 Gal. Tank | Bak MX4 & BedRug | WeatherTech Deflectors, Floor Liners, & Mud Flaps | VA Navi | SYNC 3 Connect | Tailgate Step & Damper | Husky Liners | Goodyear Wrangler Fortitude HT 275/65R18

My wife and I are looking for our 1st travel trailer.
LynnGlaze13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:52 PM   #77

Tailgate step

I couldn't get a fancy tailgate step like Ford has, but put an after market on both my Chevy 250HD and Nissan XD and couldn't get along without them. Makes that first BIG step a little shorter.
oldforester1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:46 PM   #78
I'm Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Sigh. Too much money, and the little bumper corner steps seem like they would get messed up from road salt and dirt over time. Now that I have a hard tonneau cover, think I will just keep my little wooden step ladder in the bed of the truck, that's what I used before. That tailgate step is sweet though. Just not going to pay big bucks for one.

Hi Kris

Yes the GM corner steps do get messed up with the snow and salt, two of our regular contractors have them on their trucks and find through the winter (4+ months here) that they are packed with snow and slush.

Kinda like my Ford retractable side steps (in front of the rear wheels) they have no protection from the crap the wheels throw so they freeze up and then eventually seize. I loved them when they worked. If available when I buy my next truck I will enclose them to keep the crud off.

Geoff
2023 F150 Lariat 502A (After all rebates, price protection and dealer discounts, I saved $12,600Cdn. (Cavalcade Ford). If pays to shop dealers! (April 2023)
wabakami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:53 PM   #79
I'm Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk
The newer style Ford step has the handle integrated inside the tailgate, so you don't have that issue anymore:

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized %1%2.

Ah, much better......

X2 on this!

Geoff
2023 F150 Lariat 502A (After all rebates, price protection and dealer discounts, I saved $12,600Cdn. (Cavalcade Ford). If pays to shop dealers! (April 2023)
wabakami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:00 PM   #80

I have a new 2018 F150 with the Trailer backup assist. I know how to back up just fine, but I have shoulder and back issues that mean all the steering when backing into difficult areas is sometimes very painful for me That little knob is so easy to use and makes my task much easier and less painful. I haven't had a single issue with it not finding the sticker or anything like that. All the manly "I can back up my trailer just fine" guys are welcome to do it the old fashioned way, but I love it!

People talk about it like it is like the parallel parking thing and does it by itself, but it isn't like that at all. You have to actually operate the knob and steer the trailer correctly...it just makes it easier...especially backing up straight with a short trailer. I backed up 400 yards straight with my Dads little Golf Cart trailer without touching the button OR the steering wheel. (If you let the button go it goes straight).

Other things on my truck that I love:

Retractable box side steps at the front of the bed. I'm short so getting something out of the bed used to require putting the tail gate step down and getting in, now I just pop out the step and easily reach over the side.

LED lights in the bed and on the tailgate. Makes hooking up much easier.

Rain sensing wipers and auto dim headlights. I know these have been around a while, but when I was driving at night in the rain recently on a curvy back road I was thankful I didn't have to worry about either and I could keep both hands on the wheel and concentrate on driving.

360 degree cameras although they can't "see" around a trailer, they are very useful to see how far away from obstacles (and gas pumps) you really are. I frequently go places alone so there are times when I need eyes outside to maneuver in tight spots. I'm sure I'll eventually need human eyes, but the cameras have worked for me in several places I would have asked a stranger to help.

Let the manly men poo poo the electronic wizardry and if it helps you embrace it. Not everyone has the same needs and abilities.
RackOnInNC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer, truck