Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2008, 10:01 AM   #21
Ray

Well, the saga of the "gold" key continues and I have a new twist on it. My gold key will fit the basement door on the RH side of my camper and that's all. I have tried it in all the other doors several times, but it will only work in that particular door. On the other hand, my other keys will open any of the doors, so I don't know what to think about that. Looking at the keys, they all appear to be cut the same, so it's probably just a freak situation with some of my locks.

As for the door keys, the locks on the handle and the dead lock should be keyed different. I'm on my 3rd camper and this has always been the case. I tow for a Gulfstream dealer, and have a master key (red in color) that will fit the handle locks on all campers that I have tried. All dealers have these keys, so if your dead lock is keyed the same as the handle lock, there's an awful lot of keys out there that will permit entrance into your camper. In my opinion, all of these locks are geared toward honest folks anyway.

And yes, the basement door keys are all the same across many brands that I know about in my towing experience with the dealer. Real security huh?
2011 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn, 5.7 Hemi, 3:92 differential

Tow Package W/Integrated TT Brake Controller

2015 Open Range LT274 RLS
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 10:36 PM   #22
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
In my opinion, all of these locks are geared toward honest folks anyway.

Real security huh?
...and if you think you are safe at home....just type LOCK BUMPING into Google and see for yourself.

Yea, I have 2 sets of these keys....and they work!

Watch this youtube video...it'll scare you!

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 10:35 PM   #23
Ray

Yeah, that does give one something to think about doesn't it? Actually, I have digital locks on my doors that are keyless, so they will have to get into my house the old fashioned way. I'll bet there are still a lot of people that are not aware of the "bumping" though. Good post.
2011 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn, 5.7 Hemi, 3:92 differential

Tow Package W/Integrated TT Brake Controller

2015 Open Range LT274 RLS
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 05:54 AM   #24

Just think how easy it is to get into your storage bins, all one needs is 2 paper clips if you don't have a key. They are nothing but furniture locks with disc tumblers instead of pins. Everyone should have them changed to make you stuff a little more secure.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 06:05 AM   #25
Commercial Member

Most units use 1 key for the door handle and deadbolt.

Although your key opens both, the dealer's master key will only open the handle. It will NOT open the deadbolt.

I've used dealer's master keys and that is how they operate.
(Tweaked!!)
2013 Columbus 320RS-ITS HERE!!
huntr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:02 AM   #26

I believe it is a Sub master, because it is limit to one style of lock.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:57 PM   #27

i used to deliver campers to dealers across the usa. I was amazed when I found out that the storage keys are the same. there is the number 751 on the key. I have the same key when i delivered just tried it on my 2003 cherokee i just purchased and it unlocked the storage doors.
maverick54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 02:18 PM   #28

You can go to Low's and and get a replacment lock for your storage are, they cost about $4.00 each. Just make sure you take the one from the camper with you to get the right size. You may need to make a small mod to the hole to get it to fit. The cylinder needs to fit tight in the hole, no sloppy fit. One other suggestion, when you pic out a lock set look at how the key cuts are made, stay away from close cut keys, what I mean is all the cuts look the same. The locks that are used for all out side compartments on a camper are called disk tumbler locks or ( furniture locks ) they are easy to open with just two paper clips. Your average file cabinets has the same type of locks as will. Pin tumblers locks are better. This is a fact, the more you pay for a lock set the more secure the lock is, and the reason is that the tolerances are tighter and in some locks there are added security devices bult in to the cylinders which only the porper key can release, You would need three hands to pop this type of lock if you are lucky.
Old 06-01-2008, 04:19 PM   #29

The gold keys go to the outside shower but any key that will fit in that lock will open it (the lock is mostly to keep the door secure during travel). The reason to use both the door lock and the deadbolt is that if a less than savory person gets a hold of a master key for your lock set it will open the door lock but it cannot open the deadbolt.
skipm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 06:31 PM   #30

I often wonder after spending a tidy sum for a camper why all the locks are so crappy... I mean junk! I am thinking about changing all the storage container locks first. But locks really only keep the honest people out, I guess. I will be looking for better locks this summer as an upgrade. Not sure what to do about the door lock.