Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2015, 03:48 PM   #21

OK.. Yes, I would have never pushed them that hard but it did open. After a few open/closings it seemed to get a little easier. Thanks everyone! ALWAYS learn something here.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:00 PM   #22

A few years ago we purchased a Rockwood 2902ss from a dealer in Weare NH. on our first trip out to a local campground to try it out I noticed that the dealer had filled all 3 tanks (fresh, gray and black). The dealer also left the gate valves open so when I went to pull of the cap to hook up the sewer hose I had 60 gallons of water that came rushing out!!! I shut the valves off and explained to everyone around us that we just purchased the unit and the water was clean. The campground manager was notified by a concerned camper and it took a while for us to convince her that it was clean water. Suprise!!!!
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:08 PM   #23

Search for all your breakers and fuse and make yourself a list of them. You won't believe where some of them can be hidden. Look behind panels in your storage areas, along frame rails, inside cabinets and anywhere you would never think of looking when something stops working. Enjoy your TT as we all do.
Dabmeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 07:41 AM   #24

opps

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvesm View Post
A few years ago we purchased a Rockwood 2902ss from a dealer in Weare NH. on our first trip out to a local campground to try it out I noticed that the dealer had filled all 3 tanks (fresh, gray and black). The dealer also left the gate valves open so when I went to pull of the cap to hook up the sewer hose I had 60 gallons of water that came rushing out!!! I shut the valves off and explained to everyone around us that we just purchased the unit and the water was clean. The campground manager was notified by a concerned camper and it took a while for us to convince her that it was clean water. Suprise!!!!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxx

This made me laugh out loud..As this is my story....I bought my new MH and brought it home after the Tech went through showing me all the new goodies and how to use them all...Well not ever giving anything a second thought i went on my first Over night trip and was getting ready to come home. I walked over to my tank dumps to hook up my stinky slinky and squatted down to open the cap up to stick the old stinky slinky on and was hit in the face by a gusher of nasty stinky poop filled water lmao the look on my face was priceless.SOOOOOO what is the first natural reaction most people will have? Yepp try to place cap back on as quick as possible....Ummm let me tell you thats not such a great idea...lmao yepp the gushing poop water decides to become pressurized and begins to SPRAY ALL OVER ME...lmao. If you could have seen my dear wife's face laughing so hard tears were coming down her face...of course i violated every rule about using vulgarity right about then, finally got smart and pushed in the black tanks valve to stop my shower from hell. And Yes im here to tell you that smell wont leave your nostrils for days lol..i learned a very valuable lesson that day...ALWAYS CHECK VALVES BEFORE TAKING THE CAP OFF...lol
Lancaster NY
xman123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:07 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by xman123 View Post
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxx

This made me laugh out loud..As this is my story....I bought my new MH and brought it home after the Tech went through showing me all the new goodies and how to use them all...Well not ever giving anything a second thought i went on my first Over night trip and was getting ready to come home. I walked over to my tank dumps to hook up my stinky slinky and squatted down to open the cap up to stick the old stinky slinky on and was hit in the face by a gusher of nasty stinky poop filled water lmao the look on my face was priceless.SOOOOOO what is the first natural reaction most people will have? Yepp try to place cap back on as quick as possible....Ummm let me tell you thats not such a great idea...lmao yepp the gushing poop water decides to become pressurized and begins to SPRAY ALL OVER ME...lmao. If you could have seen my dear wife's face laughing so hard tears were coming down her face...of course i violated every rule about using vulgarity right about then, finally got smart and pushed in the black tanks valve to stop my shower from hell. And Yes im here to tell you that smell wont leave your nostrils for days lol..i learned a very valuable lesson that day...ALWAYS CHECK VALVES BEFORE TAKING THE CAP OFF...lol
This is going to sound very boring compared to yall's stories, but I was going to say to be sure you keep your black water dump valve closed, even when you have your hose hooked up to a drain, because you don't want the solids to dry out in the bottom of your tank. And you want your black tank to be at least 2/3 full to have pressure to push everything out.
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:10 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Vic View Post
Several things that are not always obvious have been mentioned on this forum:
1. If you have a slide, it may have a 30amp fuse which is usually located near the tongue and battery. Check this first if your slide is not working.
2. Somewhere on your trailer are low point drains for both hot and cold water for winterizing.
3. Make sure that you have water in your heater if the electric heater is switched on.
4. There are several low amperage devices that are always on and can slowly drain your battery unless you disconnect it or are always hooked up to shore power: propane and CO detectors, TV amplifier, etc.
5. Protect your electric network and appliances with some kind of power management device: surge protector or Progressive Industries EMS since campsites can have power surges, are wired improperly, voltage low, etc.
6. If frig is running on propane, turn it off when in gasoline stations.
7. RV Frig will run better if install a fan inside to move cool air around as compared to a residential Frig.
8. Spend time learning on this forum and talking with other RVers so that you understand how RV systems work - you will find that you are easily able to fix many issues yourself.
Good list!
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 07:19 PM   #27

New member here. Purchased a 2015 Surveyor 32 rkds and the out side range hood vent cover was never mentioned. Great info to have. Maybe I won't set off the smoke alarms as much. Really enjoy all the useful information that is here to use to make life much easier!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tshortridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 07:54 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabmeb View Post
Search for all your breakers and fuse and make yourself a list of them. You won't believe where some of them can be hidden. Look behind panels in your storage areas, along frame rails, inside cabinets and anywhere you would never think of looking when something stops working. Enjoy your TT as we all do.
Great point. I lowered my front landing gear all the way down, and it blew the fuse. Took me awhile to find that fuse. It was under the bottom draw in the kitchen cabinets. I had to remove the draw to see it. Apparently if you lower the landing gear all the way down the fuse blows.
abomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:23 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSchwartz View Post
You push up on the two tabs near the bottom corners of the inner flap. You have to press upwards quite firmly - harder than you would expect. Same thing when closing - push up and in with your thumbs. I preferred the small turn tabs on the stationary frame in my old TT but I guess that was two parts that had to be inserted by hand as opposed to a single molded piece. Even China has to cost reduce to keep from losing jobs to third-world countries even farther down the chain!
Wish I had read this last week. Was out last weekend and while cooking bacon my smoke alarm went off. So remembering I needed to open that flap for my range hood fan to work I went out to open it. Well not have my arm extensions on ( glasses) I couldn't see how to open it. Well after a little force this little tabs breaks off and falls to the ground. Well the flap was open. So now I have to replace the broken vent.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:55 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Vic View Post
Several things that are not always obvious have been mentioned on this forum:
6. If frig is running on propane, turn it off when in gasoline stations.
I did not know about this and I'm not sure how we would be able to do it with our trailer since we do not have access to the frig when the slide is in. I suppose the good side is that the frig is not near the gas pump when we fill up the truck.
2014 Wildwood 231RBXL - Traded Her In
2016 Days Camped = 5; Reserved = 14 so far
2015 Days Camped = 24 / 2014 Days Camped = 23
Mrs Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:26 AM   #31

Quote:
after a little force this little tabs breaks off and falls to the ground. Well the flap was open. So now I have to replace the broken vent.
I would secure the flap with some stick-on velcro...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:52 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
I would secure the flap with some stick-on velcro...
After posting I went out to check it out. It took a flashlight to see up in the cover to see that there were two little tabs that you have to slide over to hold the flap. I only broke one, the other had not been in place... So all is good. I will know how to open it the next time

Tags
camper, parts