Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2015, 07:18 PM   #1

The not so obvious parts of a camper

Till I read another post about the oven exhaust fan, I had no idea that there was a flap that had to be unlocked for the exhaust fan to work properly. I have a 2015 Palimino Puma 295bhss I have 25 nights of camping so far this season. I read my owners manual cover to cover 4 times. It never mentions the exhaust fan. My question is there anything else that could be overlooked that's not so obvious? Like parts to the a/c or heating ducts? I know it's a really tough thing to answer, but thought maybe something like check this or see if you have that. Thanks, I thought I knew everything about this camper till I found that discussion.
abomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:28 PM   #2
I Break Everything

I remember going on a few trips in our new motorhome not realizing the dealer filled up the clean water tank...lots of water tote around.

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:35 PM   #3
Site Team

You may have a quick chill vent on your roof AC. Check for what looks like closed vent on the inside AC panel ( next to the return vent). There should be a small tab that you can slide sideways to open that vent. It allows cold air to pour out and not be channeled through the ducts. If you have a very hot humid day which is causing the coils to freeze up you can open this vent to have maximum air flow and prevent freeze up. Once inside cools some, you can close it and AC will work as normal.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
You may have a quick chill vent on your roof AC. Check for what looks like closed vent on the inside AC panel ( next to the return vent). There should be a small tab that you can slide sideways to open that vent. It allows cold air to pour out and not be channeled through the ducts. If you have a very hot humid day which is causing the coils to freeze up you can open this vent to have maximum air flow and prevent freeze up. Once inside cools some, you can close it and AC will work as normal.
Thanks Flybob, I do have that sliding vent. I haven't needed the a/c but that's good to know.
abomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by abomb View Post
Till I read another post about the oven exhaust fan, I had no idea that there was a flap that had to be unlocked for the exhaust fan to work properly. I have a 2015 Palimino Puma 295bhss I have 25 nights of camping so far this season. I read my owners manual cover to cover 4 times. It never mentions the exhaust fan. My question is there anything else that could be overlooked that's not so obvious? Like parts to the a/c or heating ducts? I know it's a really tough thing to answer, but thought maybe something like check this or see if you have that. Thanks, I thought I knew everything about this camper till I found that discussion.
This is the second time in just a few weeks that I've read about unlocking a vent and it has my curiosity up. We have never used or lite our oven. So far we have just lite the stove top portion to bleed the air out of the line to get the fridge to operating on gas. We have the range hood that consist of a light and fan. The fan just recirculates the whatever through a metal filter and back into the TT. Is there something inside the oven that requires opening before using it? I'm thinking ours is a Suburban Gas Range...

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie Longhorn 4 x 4
6.4 Hemi 410 HP, 410 Rear Axle
gashog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:49 AM   #6

Because your range hood does not back onto an exterior wall, it does not have a vent to the outside. When they vent to the outside, they simply cut a hole through the side exactly behind the hood. When the hood does not back on an outside wall, there would be custom ducting involved and there's just nowhere to hide that in an RV (maybe a chimney type, but that's not what we're talking about here).

Since it is a gas appliance, you are be advised to have good ventilation when using (there were probably lots of lawyer-required stickers all over telling you to do this).

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:58 AM   #7

Please remember that when you unlock those little tabs, it's very important to re-fasten them before hitting the road to come home.

that flap is held on by 2 little tabs that won';t handle 60 mph wind very well traveling down the road.

Don't ask me how I know

cdangel0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 09:04 AM   #8

the one thing i learned was my hot water tank runs on electric and propane. not knowing it ran on electric i was running on propane. as my old unit had a visible switch to put it on electric. this one didn't so i assumed you only had option of propane. > Well after sitting having a cocktail with another owner who had a rig like mine he asked me why are you running propane for your water . of course my reply was because it doesn't run on electric. he laughed took me to the external panel for the hot water tank took off the cover and pointed to a slightly hidden switch. tells me switch this on and switch propane switch off and your all good! ...just remember to switch it off when no water is in tank..dont want to burn out the heating element... learn something new every day!v LOL
Lancaster NY
xman123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 12:15 PM   #9

If you DO have a vent to the outside, you must remember to "lock" it back before you leave the campground and head down the road. Obviously, we didn't and lost the flap that closes it up, and this was on our last trip of the season. When getting ready for our initial trip the next season, I noticed some debris - looked like some moss, crumbled up leaves, etc. on the stove cover. Whaatttt? i We get to the campground, I'm fixing breakfast and turn on the vent. It stalls and then quits working altogether and I get more of the moss type debris all in our breakfast skillet. I hadn't put 2 & 2 together at this point. When DH checked this out - it appears that over the winter or early spring, a bird had built a nest (entering through the non-existent vent cover) and decided right over the vent motor was the best place. Thank goodness there were no baby birds or they couldn't get any further into the travel trailer. But it was a mess getting the nest out of there and getting it all cleaned up. By the way - we immediately ordered a new vent cover from PPL and had it within a couple of days. You can't order just the "flap" - you have to order the complete vent cover and they come (at that time) in bright white and vanilla. Lesson learned - that was one of the things to check and double check before leaving the campground.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:20 PM   #10

Several things that are not always obvious have been mentioned on this forum:
1. If you have a slide, it may have a 30amp fuse which is usually located near the tongue and battery. Check this first if your slide is not working.
2. Somewhere on your trailer are low point drains for both hot and cold water for winterizing.
3. Make sure that you have water in your heater if the electric heater is switched on.
4. There are several low amperage devices that are always on and can slowly drain your battery unless you disconnect it or are always hooked up to shore power: propane and CO detectors, TV amplifier, etc.
5. Protect your electric network and appliances with some kind of power management device: surge protector or Progressive Industries EMS since campsites can have power surges, are wired improperly, voltage low, etc.
6. If frig is running on propane, turn it off when in gasoline stations.
7. RV Frig will run better if install a fan inside to move cool air around as compared to a residential Frig.
8. Spend time learning on this forum and talking with other RVers so that you understand how RV systems work - you will find that you are easily able to fix many issues yourself.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 12:21 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Always use my quick chill vent Just didn't know thats what its call. I call it something else..dont ask

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 12:32 PM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
Always use my quick chill vent Just didn't know thats what its call. I call it something else..dont ask
I think the actual dometic term is "quick cool dump"

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "24 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 01:39 PM   #13

I don't think most people turn off the propane when going in gas stations or tunnels

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 01:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I don't think most people turn off the propane when going in gas stations or tunnels
You are probably correct...but most people are not always right. I would turn it off if my frig propane burner was located anywhere near potential gasoline fumes. Tunnels are a different story.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 02:51 PM   #15

Click image for larger version

Name:	vent1.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	86848

Click image for larger version

Name:	vent2.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	86849

OK call me ignorant but here is a picture of the outside vent on my Surveyor. Another of 1 of 2 tabs at the bottom. So I don't break anything, how does the vent open?
Old 08-25-2015, 03:03 PM   #16

Do you know where your GFI is on your wall plugs? you would think it was on one of the two plugs that are nearest the kitchen sink. Nope, not in my 5th wheel! after 8 days of what i assumed was a blown fuse, where 4 plugs quit working, after pulling out all the fuses one by one and checking them against a new fuse, still no idea what was happening. i was ready to call a service person, to help figure it out..( i am seasonal) by accident, i discovered a GFI plug above the bathroom sink/ below the bathroom mirror. in the 12 years i have owned the trailer, i have never blown a fuse, or used that plug! i saw that the GFI button had popped, and pushed it back in, and Wa La, i have power back in the the 4 plugs! I sure wish there was a video that came with each camper to take you through all these seemingly simple things that you need to know about.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:06 PM   #17

it opens by the air pushing it out, when the exhaust fan is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob213 View Post
Attachment 86848

Attachment 86849

OK call me ignorant but here is a picture of the outside vent on my Surveyor. Another of 1 of 2 tabs at the bottom. So I don't break anything, how does the vent open?
Old 08-25-2015, 03:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by strut526 View Post
it opens by the air pushing it out, when the exhaust fan is on!
On our 30THSS, the flap is snapped closed and must be snapped open.
panthercity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 03:14 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob213 View Post
You push up on the two tabs near the bottom corners of the inner flap. You have to press upwards quite firmly - harder than you would expect. Same thing when closing - push up and in with your thumbs. I preferred the small turn tabs on the stationary frame in my old TT but I guess that was two parts that had to be inserted by hand as opposed to a single molded piece. Even China has to cost reduce to keep from losing jobs to third-world countries even farther down the chain!

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 03:44 PM   #20

DaveSchwartz...

Quote:
You push up on the two tabs near the bottom corners of the inner flap. You have to press upwards quite firmly - harder than you would expect. Same thing when closing - push up and in with your thumbs.
you learn something new everyday here... I luv this place...

I will reiterate that pushing up is harder then it should be, also put pressure on your thumbs to pull out at the same time as pressing up to help release the plastic tab...

I always wondered why my range vent did NOT vent smoke from the burners???? Can't do it if the outside vent is snapped closed.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper, parts