Old 09-06-2010, 01:30 AM   #11

Nice looking trailer. Glad you had a good first outing. Where were you camped. We came past the edge of Wingham (hwy 86) on our way back from Port Elgin on Sunday night but it gets so dark so much earlier these days we didn't get to see too much on the way home. We went up a different way via Chesley, Paisley and then the River Road and I recall seeing a trailer much like yours parked somewhere on the way up but I couldn't say where for sure. I have heard that if you camp at Inverhuron or Macgregor Point Provincial Parks you should be sure to have an extra long hydro cord or an extension cord and 15-30A converter as the hookups can be quite a distance from the camp pad area. Both these parks are close for you so be prepared if you go there. Anyway we hope you have many more good trips and if you go east let me know as we did that trip this year and really enjoyed it and the people as well. Old Guys

Old 09-06-2010, 01:53 AM   #12

Nice looking trailer. Glad you had a good first outing. Where were you camped. We came past the edge of Wingham (hwy 86) on our way back from Port Elgin on Sunday night but it gets so dark so much earlier these days we didn't get to see too much on the way home. We went up a different way via Chesley, Paisley and then the River Road and I recall seeing a trailer much like yours parked somewhere on the way up but I couldn't say where for sure. I have heard that if you camp at Inverhuron or Macgregor Point Provincial Parks you should be sure to have an extra long hydro cord or an extension cord and 15-30A converter as the hookups can be quite a distance from the camp pad area. Both these parks are close for you so be prepared if you go there. Anyway we hope you have many more good trips and if you go east let me know as we did that trip this year and really enjoyed it and the people as well. Old Guys

Old 09-06-2010, 06:24 AM   #13

I don't think the Rhino will fit tin a bumper unless you take the ends off. I put all of my sewer components in a closable bin in the storage compartment. I don't put anything else in that bin because I don't want to risk cross contamination.
I'm not sure how your hose end went down into the septic tank at the dump station. You best to use a plastic elbow on that end of the hose. That stops the hose sneaking down the hole but it's true that you have to hold it with the dump station lid or your foot. It is also important if you are hooked up to a sewer at the camp site because the elbow fits into the gasket that fits into the sewer to stop odours.
Glad that you had fun. It will only get better as you adapt to the trailer.
2011 6.7 Ford 1 Ton Dually
http://snowyowl.smugmug.com/
Snowyowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:14 AM   #14

Hi flumpydog, I am quite familiar with Wingham, I have an old buddy down there I went to college with who is from Blyth. Been down that way many times, very nice area down there except in winter when it storms. If you are looking for info on planning a trip to the East Coast let me know and I will see what I can do to help. It sounds like you have been here before yourself though, it is beautiful down here.

I think you will like the Rhino as it comes with the elbow you need to pop it in the sewer and all. As someone else mentioned though it won't fit in the bumper and my trailer doesnot even have the square bumper. This is where it comes in handy with the caps but a plastic tote or bag to put it in is a good idea just in case it does get dirty.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:07 AM   #15

I keep my hose in a plastic container in the drain compartment. Just like Jackhartjr said, dump the black, then grey. Most dumping stations I have been to have a hose to rinse out the drain hose after you are done. I also keep some rubber gloves in my container. I always rinse everthing out again when I get home.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:06 AM   #16

Sorry about that double posting. Guess I should have gone to bed after the first one. It was a long day. We use the Rhino hose and store it in the bumper after we remove the elbow which I thoroughly rinse and store in a pail in the pass through storage compartment. There are also end caps available for the hose if you want them. I put the end that hooks to the trailer in last as it must be turned just right to fit and we also rinse it well before storage. For that I use a rinse cap which attaches to the trailer end of the hose and has a hose attachment for a garden hose. (Won't work at some dump stations with only an air hose type water supply). All these items are available at your local TSC store and unfortunately they just had a 25% off sale on all in stock trailer supplies. If you are lucky your local store may still honour those prices. We got our wheel covers at Princess Auto in London (also on sale about twice a year) but that is a bit of a drive for you unless you are coming down that way. Old Guys
Old 09-06-2010, 11:36 AM   #17

Another tip to watch for if dumping your tanks at a dump station is to make sure your trailer is either level or slightly sloped towards the drain. I found this out the wrong way after thinking I had completely dumped my black water tank only to find out after it was still showing 1/3 on the monitor. I know these are not always accurate but a qhick peak down the toilet also confirmed it.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:01 PM   #18

Correction on that bumper storage. I don't actually remove the elbow. Just the piece that looks like a funnel and fits into the sewer pipe. Old Guys
Old 09-06-2010, 09:02 PM   #19

Thanks for all the great posts, I will try to reply to all of them here.

Someone was wondering how the hose ended up like it did, simple, very simple. When you stick about 6 inches of it compressed down into that dump pit hole/tube, then it stretches out to 2 - 3 feet and goes way down that hole and, well you get the picture. It was a lesson well learned ;-)

At MacGregor, it was listed as being 66 ' to the plug, I have 30' on the trailer and brought a 50' extension, and had plenty left over. They had both regular receptacles and the 30 amp ones, so I did not need an adapter. I do have rubber caps on my bumper ends, I was just not sure about putting the pipe back in the bumper as I was not sure about it going missing. I might just get a small plastic tub with a lid to keep it in for now. Good tip on making sure the trailer is level or leaning out to drain things better.

We did go up to MacGregor on the Sunday and stopped at Timmy's around 1pm in Wingham, so perhaps you did see us parked. I see old guys, that it appears you have a v-cross? If so how do you like it? I did like the looks of them, however McPhail's in Harriston, did not have one with bunks in stock, otherwise who knows what we would have ended up with. We are definitely going out east next spring/early summer and yes rockin'ray, I have been out there myself many times. It is a small world here ;-) . You are right about the winter's here, but I love the snow.

And I have made a few trips to TSC and Canadian Tire, it is a good time to catch everything on sale. We picked up some great bargains at Zellers as well.

All the best,
Chuck

3 Energetic Wee Boys

flumpydog is offline   Reply With Quote