Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2011, 08:37 PM   #21

So far I've been lucky and kept the other half from buying anything too outrageous, except for placemats that I never have seen since .......
Don.W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:30 PM   #22
Site Team

I'm going to highjack my own message - hope no one minds. (In way it does fit into the "Sucker's List")

Since my trailer is stored offsite I keep a bin for stuff that needs to go back to the trailer. The other day I dropped off a few odds & ends and took a quick inventory. Hey - where did all that toilet paper in my tt come from?? Currently I have 4 & 1/2 packs of toliet papers (4 rolls each) in the bathroom cabinet. I know that this isn't all that much for a family but I'm camping solo and only been out something like 13 days in 7 months.

If you are ever in the same campground and is in need of toilet paper feel free to drop on by.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:42 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post

I'm going to highjack my own message - hope no one minds. (In way it does fit into the "Sucker's List")

Since my trailer is stored offsite I keep a bin for stuff that needs to go back to the trailer. The other day I dropped off a few odds & ends and took a quick inventory. Hey - where did all that toilet paper in my tt come from?? Currently I have 4 & 1/2 packs of toliet papers (4 rolls each) in the bathroom cabinet. I know that this isn't all that much for a family but I'm camping solo and only been out something like 13 days in 7 months.

If you are ever in the same campground and is in need of toilet paper feel free to drop on by.

It's better to have it and not need it than not have it and need it. Hang on to it.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:48 PM   #24

LOL @ Terier! I know what you mean. Our camper is stored offsite too and for some reason there is always a concern about TP shortages, thus we seem to buy more and more of it.

Back to the thread. Here are some of our frivolous purchases:

1) Folding wooden slatted shower platform for use with the outside shower.
2) Outside shower. How often do you use it...really?
3) Specially made carry bag for the freshwater hose...which turned out to be way to small to hold even a 25' hose (they suckered us into that one!)
4) Awning deflappers. Never even opened them. Some people may need them, but we always retract the awning if it's that windy.
5) Lantern tripods. Kinda cute but much easier just to sit them on the table or hang from the awning (LED lanterns, not fuel burning).
6) Like everyone else, about 4 too many chairs.
landcruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:48 PM   #25

"Drop by?"

Be careful what you ask for!
msula95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:46 PM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruisers View Post

4) Awning deflappers. Never even opened them. Some people may need them, but we always retract the awning if it's that windy.

5) Lantern tripods. Kinda cute but much easier just to sit them on the table or hang from the awning (LED lanterns, not fuel burning).

I finally remembered to use my awning deflappers on my last trip and I do like them. I kept looking at them each time I was at CW. Several people suggested one particular box set so I took a peek at an open box only to have the deflapper come apart and not go back together again. I opted for a different brand that I do like and can put back together. Deflappers can help with somewhat stronger bleezes that don't last for hours on end. I'm with you - if you see Dorothy and her little dog - better close up the awning!

As for Lantern tripods - I could had use one when I was tent camping and wanted to sit by the fire during dinner with no useful place to hang the lantern. Since buying the trailer I also have no need for a tripod.

Four too many chairs?? I'm too cheap! I only have 1 chair but maybe someday if I stay away from paper products I can buy a second chair for company to use.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:49 PM   #27

For the longest time anything that resembled a pink flamingo! Didn't matter what it was or how tacky it was, we had to have it. Got dinnerware, pictures, lawn ornaments, lights, lamps, a hat (although I do look stylish in it), clothing, jewelry, the more the better. Took the better part of an hour setting everything out when we got to the campsite. We have finally slowed down on buying and have even weeded some of the trashier stuff out. I do still put Santa in his sleigh on the roof every Christmas being pulled by 8 tiny flamingos!

2011 F250 Lariat Crew Cab 6.7L Diesel
2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlite 831 FKBSS
Fleet of Canoes and one Kayak
So Many Rivers so Little Time!
buckisland1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:22 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckisland1950 View Post
For the longest time anything that resembled a pink flamingo! Didn't matter what it was or how tacky it was, we had to have it. Got dinnerware, pictures, lawn ornaments, lights, lamps, a hat (although I do look stylish in it), clothing, jewelry, the more the better. Took the better part of an hour setting everything out when we got to the campsite. We have finally slowed down on buying and have even weeded some of the trashier stuff out. I do still put Santa in his sleigh on the roof every Christmas being pulled by 8 tiny flamingos!
When is your birthday and where should I send your "regift"?
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:08 AM   #29
The Old Man

Useless purchases:

1) Those plastic strip gauges for measuring the propane level
They just don't work reliably...the brass dial pressure gauges really DO work. Expensive ($15-20 each) but worth it.

2) "Pop-a-plate"
Seemed like a good space-saving way to store paper plates but it was more trouble than it's worth.

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:33 PM   #30

I hate to admit it but count me in on those strips for the fuel tanks too. Actualley mine are still in the pkg. After reading I can see that well.. oops! Maybe I can take them back? Hey they haven't been opened!!!

Official member of the "Roo Kroo"!
2009 - 4, 2010 - 135
2011 - 95 and counting
skeeterbait8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:48 PM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willis View Post
Useless purchases:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willis View Post

1) Those plastic strip gauges for measuring the propane level
They just don't work reliably

Come to think of it I have one too - might even be on the tank too ...or maybe not...

The tank cover is a pain to get off so even if it works it was a bad idea to start with. (Tight fit with the battery box) Wish I could get my $3 or $4 back.