Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2011, 11:17 PM   #1
Site Team

The "Sucker's List" - seeking honesty and humor

Overall I have maintain good control in not buying everything in site for my first trailer.

However, there is one that I brought that I still regret to this day - a bright neon yellowish green awning strap with flashing red warning lights. I wanted it for a different reason that it was *designed* for but really didn't want it at all when my order came in. What a waste of $12! My few other "regrets" odds & ends were returned for a refund (unused).

I know that I'm can't be the only one with regrets - has anyone else brought something that turned out to be totally useless?

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:54 PM   #2

We bought my father in law Pink Flamingos for Christmas as a gag gift last year, damn things showed up in a birthday present last week... regret? maybe... will be regifted? hell ya!
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:46 AM   #3
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Slide out gauges. Rubber suction cup with a straw type piece that you cut to length so you leave enough room for your slideout to extend without hitting a tree. Comes with a great little carrying bag. I've never taken it out of the bag. The set up takes longer than getting out and checking clearances. Beside my wife does a great job of keeping me clear of obstacles. It's a shame my common sense wasn't present when we, ok I, bought this thing. At least it was on a clearance table- I wonder why????

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:49 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrotor View Post
We bought my father in law Pink Flamingos for Christmas as a gag gift last year, damn things showed up in a birthday present last week... regret? maybe... will be regifted? hell ya!
You should get him some flamingo fans instead. I have a pair that are the LSU colors that I put out at the campground along with my LSU awning lights. You can get them in about any color combination that matches just about all professional and college team colors. They always seem to get some kind of comment from the adjoining campers. We get a lot of laughs from them.

Home Page

NEW Flamingo Fans LSU Tigers Set of 2 Yard Ornaments | eBay

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:54 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

The List is Endless and Growing

Between my DW and I we have wasted probably several hundred dollars we could have used better camping.

Everything from folding dish racks to electronics bought specifically for the camper has either been "retasked" or "rerouted" (to the trash can).
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:08 AM   #6

probably the most useless thing was a combination wrench, hammer, plires...looked like a good idea until i found i couldn't work with it in close quarters. it really worked well on tv though. at least, back then, they weren't offering another "free"...just pay separate shipping and handling....
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:53 AM   #7

Haven't taken delivery of our TT yet, (come on FR, it's been just about 8 weeks now!) but it's amazing how much stuff we've accumulated. I don't think we've purchased anything YET that could be included on your list. Just the "basics" - leveling blocks, sheets/mattress pad, placemats (we all need a bit of "culture") throw rugs, tool set, etc. We have so much stuff from tent camping and we're trying to be reasonable when it comes to purchasing extras for the TT. I'll revisit this thread in a few weeks when we're transitioning from tent to camper and let you know. My hubby made a really nice free-standing toilet paper holder, since there is no where in the 8293RKSS to mount one. If I had a picture, I'd post it.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:55 AM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudinator View Post
My hubby made a really nice free-standing toilet paper holder, since there is no where in the 8293RKSS to mount one. If I had a picture, I'd post it.
DW found a nice free standing one at Bed Bath and Beyond.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:55 AM   #9

Even Forest River got in on the act with those "slide locks" that mt Flagstaff came with, and many others have, too. They won't fit at the top of the slide; where incidentally a little sticker is that tells you to "put slide locks here", the seal lip is angled at 45deg. preventing the bars to go there, and if you put them on the trim moldind around the slide, the paneling nails that hold the trim on simply push out very easily, rendering the locks useless! Besides that, the slides are powered by electric motors anda gear/track setup, and without power being applied to the switch, the slides never budge an inch anyway! At least mine haven't. What a waste! Some people use them to brace the extended slide out under the outside, when open, and others say they make a good adjustable towel rack! Mine are collecting dust in the garage!! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
DW found a nice free standing one at Bed Bath and Beyond.
My hubby is a woodworker, so he likes to make things from the ground up. It's made it from cherry so it'll match the bathroom. He also plans to make a small table to put next to the couch; he made one last year for friends for their new Laredo and now I want one too!!
Old 05-10-2011, 11:42 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudinator
Haven't taken delivery of our TT yet, (come on FR, it's been just about 8 weeks now!) but it's amazing how much stuff we've accumulated. I don't think we've purchased anything YET that could be included on your list. Just the "basics" - leveling blocks, sheets/mattress pad, placemats (we all need a bit of "culture") throw rugs, tool set, etc. We have so much stuff from tent camping and we're trying to be reasonable when it comes to purchasing extras for the TT. I'll revisit this thread in a few weeks when we're transitioning from tent to camper and let you know. My hubby made a really nice free-standing toilet paper holder, since there is no where in the 8293RKSS to mount one. If I had a picture, I'd post it.
Ok..sorry! Forgot my username and/or password...but I'll see if it let's me post!! I am also waiting on delivery of a 8293rkss!!! Hopefully should have it by the 23rd of this month!! Absolutely can't wait!! In the mean time...cleaning out cabinets instead of buying much untill it comes in!!!!
Oubie Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oubie Jr View Post
Ok..sorry! Forgot my username and/or password...but I'll see if it let's me post!! I am also waiting on delivery of a 8293rkss!!! Hopefully should have it by the 23rd of this month!! Absolutely can't wait!! In the mean time...cleaning out cabinets instead of buying much untill it comes in!!!!
When did you order yours? We're now in our 9th week since the order was submitted. Hoping for delivery by the end of the month. I can't WAIT! We researched for months until finally deciding on the 8293. The outside kitchen was a MUST. Good luck with yours!!

Old 05-10-2011, 02:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudinator

When did you order yours? We're now in our 9th week since the order was submitted. Hoping for delivery by the end of the month. I can't WAIT! We researched for months until finally deciding on the 8293. The outside kitchen was a MUST. Good luck with yours!!

The dealer here had one already on order...we have been looking at this one..(well the flagstaff version actually) since last year at this time and on march 28th I was told 4 weeks.. . So basically got pushed back 4 weeks .. Super excited!! Love the outside kitchen!! And the huge bathroom!!! Those were the sellers!!! Good luck with yours also!!!!
Old 05-10-2011, 02:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oubie Jr View Post
The dealer here had one already on order...we have been looking at this one..(well the flagstaff version actually) since last year at this time and on march 28th I was told 4 weeks.. . So basically got pushed back 4 weeks .. Super excited!! Love the outside kitchen!! And the huge bathroom!!! Those were the sellers!!! Good luck with yours also!!!!
Yeah, we wanted something with a bathroom bigger than a closet too! LOL. Didn't really need a bunkhouse and the outside kitchen was an absolute MUST. My dealer told me they're really backed up at the factory. (Recession, what recession?!?) It better get here soon - we have reservations for an 8-day trip starting June 18th and we still have to do our "shake down" weekend close to home.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:57 PM   #15

Thread hi-jack alert !!!

To get us back on track --- we have bought more camping chairs than we could ever possibly wear out ! Everything from collapsable in a bag, zero-gravity, ones with attached side tables, etc, etc. Most of them now reside in our basement.

...VTX-AL
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTX Al
Thread hi-jack alert !!!

...VTX-AL
Sorry!! Won't happen again!!
Old 05-10-2011, 03:58 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTX Al View Post
Thread hi-jack alert !!!

To get us back on track --- we have bought more camping chairs than we could ever possibly wear out ! Everything from collapsable in a bag, zero-gravity, ones with attached side tables, etc, etc. Most of them now reside in our basement.

...VTX-AL
Sorry to hijack the site!! Just so darned excited to be getting a TT after 20+ years of tenting. I searched for about two YEARS for what I considered the "perfect" camping chair. Since I'm vertically challenged, the zero-gravity chair doesn't work for me (my feet don't touch the ground - LOL!!). FINALLY found a directors chair at Cabela's and I love it!! But I'm like you - I collected about 6 chairs in the process, which I've since sold at garage sales. The folding chairs in the bag are the worst.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:16 PM   #18

I know the feeling.. I bought a 2011 Kodiak Hybrid TT last summer, used it 10 nights and knew it wasn't what we wanted. Traded it in for a 2011 Flagstaff 8528ckws in January 2011, took delivery in April and will use it for the first time this coming weekend.

I also have a collection of chairs, but found some directors chairs at Costco that looks and feels great, so far.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:45 PM   #19
Site Team

I try to make do with just what I really need but sometimes there are exceptions. I wanted a RV sink pan for the kitchen but couldn't justify buying it, not even for $7. Months went by and I kept thinking about it instead of forgetting. After returning a christmas gift I ended up with a small amount of cash so I went to the RV store and got my pan. With it being a gift I had little trouble buying it.

What I like about the dish pan is that it is designed for a RV sink, it fits inside the sink, can hold dishes until washing time, can soak dishes while keeping the sink free, great for holding stuff until needed like bananas, bread, box of donuts, etc...

After using it a few times I can now justify spending money on it.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:24 PM   #20

MMm I would have to say a Plackard for the back of our First TT a 2001 Sunnybrook, Wife found it in a shop in Virginia City Nv, Thing was Bigger then a Street Sign and she had me Screw it into the Back of the TT so every one and there Brother got a Good Laught as we went down the road.. Oh Yea, the Sign said "TRAILER TRASH" in Black and White Some reason when we got the New 5er, Its got misplaced

Hatchet
Chevy 2500HD Diesel
07 SandPiper F305

Days camped 2011 "3" so far,
Hatchet58 is offline   Reply With Quote