Old 07-01-2016, 09:29 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to Blackhat6mike
Theft of tailgates with built-in cameras

Note by site team: This post and replies have been moved into their own thread

I just finished reading a report about there being a big market for pickup truck tailgates with backup cameras. The insurance industry says there have been more than 1,700 claims for stolen tailgates. They say there have been many more that have not been claimed as their deductibles were higher or didn't want their rates to increase. Who would have thought it?
They say the tailgates can cost upward of $3,000 each and recommends you lock your tailgate if you have that ability, or back it up to a wall or tree as it has to be opened to steal it. Honestly, I never gave it a thought before. I now keep it "key locked". Just FYI.
I hope this is the right thread to post this info.

Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
"First In, Last Out". 11B4Y
DAV, MOPH, VFW, 5/7 Cav,1/8 Cav Assoc.
11th ABN Pathfinder Co. N7MIP
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 09:48 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
I just finished reading a report about there being a big market for pickup truck tailgates with backup cameras. The insurance industry says there have been more than 1,700 claims for stolen tailgates. They say there have been many more that have not been claimed as their deductibles were higher or didn't want their rates to increase. Who would have thought it?
They say the tailgates can cost upward of $3,000 each and recommends you lock your tailgate if you have that ability, or back it up to a wall or tree as it has to be opened to steal it. Honestly, I never gave it a thought before. I now keep it "key locked". Just FYI.
I remove my tailgate to keep any issues to a minimum when I am out for more than a weekend plus it weights about 75 pounds or so.

Old 07-01-2016, 09:49 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to Blackhat6mike
I use a game cam to watch over our boat when parked in the water near the TT. It can also be used on your RV, just put it on a tree out of sight and high enough it won't be seen. I have it secured with a stainless steel cable around the tree and a lock. Even drove off once and forgot it. Went back a week later and it was still there with plenty of pix of the campers after us and several raccoons. You can set them for snapshots or video and 32GB is a lot of pix [several thousand].
We also have three scare lights that we never turn off even in storage.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
"First In, Last Out". 11B4Y
DAV, MOPH, VFW, 5/7 Cav,1/8 Cav Assoc.
11th ABN Pathfinder Co. N7MIP
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 10:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Just removed the tailgate from my 4 day of F350 and replaced it with a Husky aluminum 5er tailgate. Do not miss the camera and do not miss the constant beep when backing with the tailgate down. Beep works without the camera but this tailgate does not set it off when down.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Around this area your tailgate is safe ...... the thieves leave them on as they steal the entire truck too much trouble just stealing the tailgate ........ sad but true.............

Just kidding but you are right our nephew had his tailgate stolen in Texas.........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 08:53 AM   #6

I purchased a 5th wheel tailgate that I have on my truck 85% of the time. The other 15% with the factory tailgate is for times when I need a tailgate that will hold some weight or simply for a change in eye candy for my truck.

I went to Amazon and purchased a small back up camera for under $20 then to the Ford dealer to purchase a rear wire harness for the factory back up camera and wired it to the Amazon purchased camera. This works just as well as the OEM tailgate camera set up for around a $32 investment.

2015 Day/Nights Camped 5
2014 Day/Nights Camped 29
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 08:57 AM   #7

We keep ours locked.
www.restcure.ca

illegitimi non carborundum
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 09:00 AM   #8
Usually Confused Member

I've heard the value of a stolen tailgate is the aluminum. The camera isn't worth very much.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 09:26 AM   #9

I installed one of the following so my tailgate is locked whenever the truck is locked.
https://www.amazon.com/Pop-Lock-PL82...eywords=pl8250

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3.73 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2016: 38 nights camped
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:50 PM   #10

A simple $2 hose clamp installed on the right hinge will eliminate 90% of thefts. The clamp keeps it from just being lifted off.

Or for about $20 you can get a keyed hinge lock.