Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2016, 04:07 PM   #1

Thermal thermometer

Read several treads on using an inferred thermometer to check tire/ wheel/ brake temp. Seems like a good idea to me. Started pricing them, w👀W they they are all over the place in price. Saw one at HD for $85. Another for $39. Then on Amazon for 15. I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for but?
Nubee 8380H Non-contact Infrared Thermometer Temperature Gun with Laser Sight MAX Display https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JA3BMDW..._pYcaxbPZZZ954 Here is one from Amazon. Any options?
Stetay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 04:24 PM   #2

It's highly likely that the more expensive the unit is then the more accurate it is. Again, likely but not always. But, you are not necessarily looking for accuracy. I doubt if anyone here can tell me that if I drive down a 5% grade at 55 mph for 4.7 miles then my brakes should have a temperature of 250-260 degrees. Maybe someone can direct us to the correct specification chart...if there is such a thing.

So, what you are really looking for is temperature difference. If you have three brakes showing 180 degrees and the fourth shows 225 then you now know you have a problem with that fourth brake. Or, maybe the fourth shows 90 degrees, again directing you to a problem. The number is mostly irrelevant, only the temperature difference really matters.

The $100 test unit MAY have an extremely accurate indication of 180 degrees while the $15 unit shows 167, or 193. Who cares...you're only looking for variations between the numbers for the individual brakes or tires.

Cheap will work just fine.
Old 04-02-2016, 04:32 PM   #3

A user here said this one has worked well.

Non-Contact Infrared Thermometer With Laser Targeting
Old 04-02-2016, 04:41 PM   #4

I have this unit from Lowes.. Works great and inexpensive? Shop General Tools & Instruments The Heat Seeker 8:1 Professional Infrared Thermometer at Lowes.com

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 04:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
It's highly likely that the more expensive the unit is then the more accurate it is. Again, likely but not always. But, you are not necessarily looking for accuracy. I doubt if anyone here can tell me that if I drive down a 5% grade at 55 mph for 4.7 miles then my brakes should have a temperature of 250-260 degrees. Maybe someone can direct us to the correct specification chart...if there is such a thing.

So, what you are really looking for is temperature difference. If you have three brakes showing 180 degrees and the fourth shows 225 then you now know you have a problem with that fourth brake. Or, maybe the fourth shows 90 degrees, again directing you to a problem. The number is mostly irrelevant, only the temperature difference really matters.

The $100 test unit MAY have an extremely accurate indication of 180 degrees while the $15 unit shows 167, or 193. Who cares...you're only looking for variations between the numbers for the individual brakes or tires.

Cheap will work just fine.
True enough, if for arguments sake the cheap one is out +/- 5-10 degrees then all wheels will be out the same, this will still give you a good variance reading, of course the variance reading will be out slightly also.
Best might be to record all wheels before moving when they are cold and then record again after heavy use.

I bought the cheaper one from Amazon, I use it mostly cooking, BBQ, smoking and find the hot/cold spots.

Actually there are lots of uses, fish tank, dog's nose when I think she's not well, wife's forehead when she goes to work and I stay home and do nothing

John

Edit: one thing you should be aware of is the temperature ranges.
Rupkin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stetay View Post
Read several treads on using an inferred thermometer to check tire/ wheel/ brake temp. Seems like a good idea to me. Started pricing them, w👀W they they are all over the place in price. Saw one at HD for $85. Another for $39. Then on Amazon for 15. I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for but?
Nubee 8380H Non-contact Infrared Thermometer Temperature Gun with Laser Sight MAX Display https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JA3BMDW..._pYcaxbPZZZ954 Here is one from Amazon. Any options?
That one would work just fine for comparing the temp of brake drums/wheel bearings.

What ever you do don't buy it from the "Nubee Store".
Nubee

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 10:17 PM   #7

I bought mine from (harbor freight) tools on sale for $15 a couple of years ago, cheap, yes, but it works for measuring the difference in the four wheels quite well. Keep an eye on their site for it to be on sale (usually twice a year) or use the 20% off coupon if you need it now.

TT-2015 Cherokee 274dbh TV-2011 Ram 3500 Longhorn Limited
Steelframer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 10:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelframer View Post
I bought mine from (harbor freight) tools on sale for $15 a couple of years ago, cheap, yes, but it works for measuring the difference in the four wheels quite well. Keep an eye on their site for it to be on sale (usually twice a year) or use the 20% off coupon if you need it now.

TT-2015 Cherokee 274dbh TV-2011 Ram 3500 Longhorn Limited
Have one from probably 15 years ago I paid ~$90 and another that is 3 years old from Habor Freight. The HF unit eats 9V batteries and the laser has quit, the older one still is good. YRMV
Tim
Timtation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 06:15 AM   #9
World Wide Wanderer

I use the ~$40 ones at work a lot because the crews are hard on them. I have a 15 year old unit that cost close to $150 when I purchased it. It can actually be calibrated, the cheaper ones cannot. The cheap one reads the same temp as the expensive calibrated one ± 2° most of the time. Every now and again we will get one that is way off, it goes back.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote