Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2018, 02:13 AM   #1

Thieves are rough on a camper

I just found out that our camper was broken into a last week. They broke the door lock, but couldn’t get in. They pried the emergency window open and crawled in. Our television is behind the slide so they broke the window on the slide and the slide support getting the tv and blue ray player out. They also stole the battery off of the front.

I’m looking to see who has first hand experience dealing with insurance companies. Basically what kind of fight I’m in store for... Also, how hard is it going to be getting two windows replaced on a 13 year old camper?

Thanks for any advice.
johngoat2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 02:40 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngoat2002 View Post
I just found out that our camper was broken into a last week. They broke the door lock, but couldn’t get in. They pried the emergency window open and crawled in. Our television is behind the slide so they broke the window on the slide and the slide support getting the tv and blue ray player out. They also stole the battery off of the front.

I’m looking to see who has first hand experience dealing with insurance companies. Basically what kind of fight I’m in store for... Also, how hard is it going to be getting two windows replaced on a 13 year old camper?

Thanks for any advice.
Sorry to hear. Where was the camper at? Your house, storage lot with campers and boats or storage lot with storage lockers, garages? Ours was broken into last year before labor day weekend. It was at a storage lot that had the garages that people rent to store furniture and stuff in. The place was gated and our 5th wheel was right in front of the office with a security camera on it. There is a mobile home park on both sides of the storage place. I think the thief/thieves rented a locker in there and broke into several rigs and stored the things they stole into their garage/locker. They emptied mine out of tools, grill, outdoor movie projector and other things worth about $3000 not to mention destroying two compartment doors. We had Allied insurance (Nationwide). They assessed the damage. I listed items stolen and proof of items such as receipts and pictures. They repaired damage and replaced items. Now camper goes to a storage lot that only has campers and boats in it. Hope that helps
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 05:07 AM   #3

It is hard to really say different insurance companies, different adjusters, etc. will make a difference.

The biggest problem that we had was with an older camper our insurance company wanted to throw depreciation into the mix, and after the deductible left little $ for repairs. The repair cost was about $1200 we were offered $300 and ended up in arbitration. To say the least we are no longer with them.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 07:17 AM   #4
D W

Not to sound curt here, but wondering about insurance coverage after the fact is confounding. When you purchase insurance you should know what will be covered. A lot of variables here. Deductible? Are you insured for Actual Cash Value or Actual Replacement Cost? Personal Property & Contents? In your case depreciation will be a factor as your rig is 13 years old. Repairs may exceed the value of your rig, and in that case your insurance company may decide it is not cost effective to repair it, and total it. Like someone else mentioned, if you disagree with the insurance company chances are your only avenue is arbitration.

Whatever your case is, I wish you well.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 08:59 AM   #5

I wasn’t necessarily worried about the insurance coverage. I knew what was covered ahead of time. That’s why we don’t keep a lot of belongings in there during the off season. My worry is dealing with the insurance company. I don’t want to have to go to war for something I’m already paying for in the first place.
johngoat2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 09:04 AM   #6
Site Team

Assuming you have coverage-- a LOT depends on your agent and the adjuster you get. Until you get their report you're worrying abut this-- maybe for nothing!

(so glad/lucky I can park mine at home!!)

Good luck!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 01:28 PM   #7

I've had to deal with insurance companies several times in the past couple years. In one instance my wife and I were rear ended by an 18 wheeler (she was behind the wheel, traffic was at a complete standstill, and he rolled into us). Did just over 5 grand of damage. Biggest hassle was that the trucking company initially wanted to do it out of pocket, then decided it was more than they wanted to pay, so we went through insurance. The insurance companies, both mine and theirs were no trouble working with.
The other instance was a non-profit I am treasurer for. The foundation in the building we were renting is collapsing, and we were only able to get a portion of our belongings out before it was impossible to enter to get more out. Again, the adjuster was great to work with, bent over backwards to get us the most possible, which really wasn't that much, most of what we lost had been donated in the first place.
My own experience over the years is that what seems to us to be a "big loss" to the adjusters and insurance companies is peanuts. The company(s) covering the buildings that are collapsing, with losses in the hundreds of thousands in removing the buildings, have washed their hands of them, and declared they are not responsible. A loss under 10 grand, not worth their time to hassle over. Of course, YMMV.
Bogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 01:38 PM   #8

Your biggest problem might be finding windows that fit your 13 year old rig.

As to the insurance company, I've not had to deal with ours yet, but please let us know your experience when you deal with them.
Old 11-28-2018, 01:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
Your biggest problem might be finding windows that fit your 13 year old rig.

As to the insurance company, I've not had to deal with ours yet, but please let us know your experience when you deal with them.
Also let us know who your insurance is with.
43 feet
CoMaddMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 02:12 PM   #10

Finding windows to fit a 13 year old rig is not a problem at all. Any glass company can measure and cut windows to fit and install them for you. I am not sure why people think that parts for RV's must come from a RV supplier, but they do.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 02:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walholler View Post
Finding windows to fit a 13 year old rig is not a problem at all. Any glass company can measure and cut windows to fit and install them for you. I am not sure why people think that parts for RV's must come from a RV supplier, but they do.
Good point.

I guess I was thinking that they probably damaged the window frame in their enthusiasm to get that tv and dvd player.
Old 11-28-2018, 02:26 PM   #12
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
X2 on the glass. Just about any glass house will cut it for you. As well, i recommend using safety glass when getting the replacement. Often, you can get auto safety glass, like used in side windows, as it can be cut to fit without anything special ordered.
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 04:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Not to sound curt here, but wondering about insurance coverage after the fact is confounding. When you purchase insurance you should know what will be covered. A lot of variables here. Deductible? Are you insured for Actual Cash Value or Actual Replacement Cost? Personal Property & Contents? In your case depreciation will be a factor as your rig is 13 years old. Repairs may exceed the value of your rig, and in that case your insurance company may decide it is not cost effective to repair it, and total it. Like someone else mentioned, if you disagree with the insurance company chances are your only avenue is arbitration.

Whatever your case is, I wish you well.
Yup. An insurance policy is a contract. What they'll do is spelled out in it. But there are still humans interpreting how the loss is covered.

'19 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
'17 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL
Mickey the Rescue Project Schnauzer
Days Camped: '17-39, '18-61, '19-64, '20-38
bedubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 08:49 PM   #14

Option 1
Get a written estimate from one or more local shops or mobile RV service.

Good source with reviews:RV Service Reviews

Option 2
The insurance company may have certain shops that they work with in your area. That way you don't get involved in the haggle. Progressive Insurance preferred shops are required to offer a life-of-ownership warranty for jobs done by their approved shops. Check with your insurance company or local agent.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 09:44 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post
Option 1
Get a written estimate from one or more local shops or mobile RV service.

Good source with reviews:RV Service Reviews

Option 2
The insurance company may have certain shops that they work with in your area. That way you don't get involved in the haggle. Progressive Insurance preferred shops are required to offer a life-of-ownership warranty for jobs done by their approved shops. Check with your insurance company or local agent.
Insurance companies may have "preferred" shops but they are not legally allowed to force you to go there. You can still go wherever you want to for repairs.

I've run into this numerous times with car repairs. I went to the "preferred" shop one time and they did such a horrible job that I vowed to never go there again. Now every time my insurance suggests that I go there I tell them no thanks, I'll be taking it to the other shop just down the street that actually does the repairs correctly.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 11:17 AM   #16

Insurance claim

Insurance companies should never depreciate glass. Also, I have never seen a repair depreciated except in issues of maintenance. (Like your roof on your house is 30 years old and you have a partial loss. Roofs are a maintenance issue.) I agree that you get what you pay for. If you run into hassles your agent should go to bat for you. If they don't, time to find a new agent.
SherryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 11:45 AM   #17

I am not totally sure what your question is....
I have Southern Arkansas Farm Bureau insurance on almost every thing I have insured. I had a storm damage claim on our first unit. The ONLY complaint I had was that the RV adjuster was out of town and had to travel to me. It only took a few days, but they treated me fairly. In the end the unit was totaled(no surprise) and they paid me the honest value based on similar units. Maybe that will help.

Good luck and Godspeed to you.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 11:46 AM   #18
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryL View Post
Insurance companies should never depreciate glass. Also, I have never seen a repair depreciated except in issues of maintenance. (Like your roof on your house is 30 years old and you have a partial loss. Roofs are a maintenance issue.) I agree that you get what you pay for. If you run into hassles your agent should go to bat for you. If they don't, time to find a new agent.
It's not the glass that is depreciated. The RV itself depreciates. It is insured for either actual cash value or actual replacement costs. If the amount for repairs exceeds what that value is, then take a guess what the insurance company is going to do? You can not equate RV's and/or motor vehicles to residential real estate. Apples & oranges.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper