Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2018, 08:52 PM   #6441

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
Ha page 644 for me. Later RJD
Me too..........

Opps 645 now >>>>

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 06:25 AM   #6442

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZNEDY View Post
Well, ehemm, there are an awful lot of people driving by from the tent area looking at me like I'm famous or something.
Could it be the tin foil hat your wearing
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 06:43 AM   #6443
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZNEDY View Post
Alright enough with the page numbers already. Back to our scheduled program. [emoji12]
You better get the golf course ASAP looking for you to caddy 18 holes carrying golf bag Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 01:29 PM   #6444

It is not miles per gallon. It is watts per mile. I wonder what towing capacity is for the Tesela.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5439.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	315.6 KB
ID:	184815

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 01:51 PM   #6445
RV There Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
It is not miles per gallon. It is watts per mile. I wonder what towing capacity is for the Tesela.

Attachment 184815
apparently its 4980 lbs, still looks like that trailer is too much for that thing
IsleDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 01:51 PM   #6446

Quote:

Attachment 184815
Depends. https://electrek.co/2018/05/15/tesla...-9-dreamliner/

As a novice Glamper, it still applies.
RobertDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 02:07 PM   #6447
code.org

Tesla Design Studio

Tesla Model X and its Airstream Design Studio. Saw it at the L.A. Auto Show.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tesla-airstream-720x720.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	184816  
2015-14 Nights, '16-90 Nights, '17-101 Nights, '18-146 Nights, '19-76 Nights '20-56 Nights '21-42 Nights '22-86 Nights '23-65 Nights
moff34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 02:33 PM   #6448
code.org

50 amp splitter

While speaking of Tesla's, camped next to a guy with a Montana 5th wheel and a Tesla Model S. (The RV Park keeps his Montana in storage and spots it for him.) He used a splitter connected to the 50 amp power pedestal outlet with one cable going to the Montana and one cable going to the power cord to charge the Model S. First time I had seen that.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	50 amp splitter.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	184820  
2015-14 Nights, '16-90 Nights, '17-101 Nights, '18-146 Nights, '19-76 Nights '20-56 Nights '21-42 Nights '22-86 Nights '23-65 Nights
moff34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:37 PM   #6449
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff34 View Post
Tesla Model X and its Airstream Design Studio. Saw it at the L.A. Auto Show.
Now ya talking some bucks. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 02:56 AM   #6450

Quote:

Attachment 184815
I wouldn't be worried about towing capacity as much as towing time...lol. A friend of mine drove his Tesla from NC to Nevada and said he had to pull over every 5'ish hours to recharge. SMH. The new Porsche Mission will get 80% charge in 15 minutes.

Might be great that the car drives by itself (he said he only drove 10% of the time, the car did the rest) but it would take forever to get anywhere...

Mark
Orangecrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 05:07 AM   #6451

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecrush View Post
I wouldn't be worried about towing capacity as much as towing time...lol. A friend of mine drove his Tesla from NC to Nevada and said he had to pull over every 5'ish hours to recharge. SMH. The new Porsche Mission will get 80% charge in 15 minutes.

Might be great that the car drives by itself (he said he only drove 10% of the time, the car did the rest) but it would take forever to get anywhere...

Mark
Sounds like great cars for "Drunks " the Car could be the "Designated Driver "!Youroo! !
Old 08-30-2018, 09:21 AM   #6452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecrush View Post

Mark

That doesn’t sound bad, sleep or read while something else does the driving. Stop to eat every five hours, use the bathroom, take a walk. You could drive day and night. Twenty hours at seventy miles a hour, that’s fourteen hundred miles a day, in two days coast to coast. I’ll be glad when a company makes electric 3500 trucks, I could use some time not driving.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 10:03 AM   #6453
Broken Toe

Quote:

Attachment 184815
Theres no substitute for cubic amps.

Ok, in every engineer there is a frustrated teacher just dying to get out, so heres one chance for me.

Electric motors are ideal for pulling heavy loads. That's why all locomotives use them as the final drive. Due to its design, electric induction motors produce their maximum torque at zero speed. Just perfect for getting a heavy load moving. Torque decreases as the motor speeds up, approaching zero torque at synchronous speed.

Synchronous speed is a function of frequency (Usually 60 hz in the US) and the number of poles in the motor. The math boils down to 120x60 (freq)/number of poles. A motor can only have even numbers of poles, so a 2 pole motors sync speed is 3600rpm. A 4 pole is 1800, a 6 pole is 900 and on and on. Were you to energize a motor with no load on them, they would run at that speed and produce zero torque. Of course, with zero torque, any load applied to them will slow the motor down. As it slows down, torque is produced and at some point the load and torque will balance. The nameplate of the motor will list it speed at it's rated horsepower. Usually a 4 pole motor will run somewhere around 1730rpm. The difference between the sync speed and the actual speed at rated HP is called slip and is determined on how the motor was made. That speed is solid. You can't vary the speed by changing voltage. Like I said, its a function of how the motor was made, and the frequency of the power coming into it. So how do you vary the speed? A neat little device called a Variable Frequency Drive (VFD) that bacically converts the incoming 60hz AC into DC, then forms that DC back into AC and whatever frequency you want. Vary the frequency, vary the speed. They make a distinctive, high pitched noise when running. I've worked with them enough that I can tell if a motor is VFD controlled or not just by standing by it.

Torque and Amps are practically interchangeable in an induction motor. As you add load, the motor slows down from synchronous speed, torque is generated and the amps go up. At rated load, the expected amp draw is called Full Load Amps (FLA) and is listed on the nameplate of the motor. At zero speed the motor will make its most torque, and also use the most amps. This is called "locked rotor amps" and is usually about 400 times the amp draw at full load. It can be quite alarming watching the amp draw on a motor starting a heavy, high inertia load like a big fan or pump. Any electric motor will gleefully make many times its rated horsepower. The only limit is for how long. A starter motor in your car might make 15HP but only for 30 second at a time before it overheats. It is very small, weighing in at about 25 pounds. A 15 HP industrial air-cooled motor rated for continuous use weighs about 270 pounds. Tesla motors are more powerful and lighter because of advanced cooling practices.

Tesla's are cool, but the car i admire the most is the Chevy Volt. It's a true hybrid, meaning that the ONLY motor driving the wheels is the electric one. The gas engine only runs a generator, providing power to the traction motor and charging the batteries. That is pretty much how a diesel-electric locomotive runs and I bet you will see a LOT of 'electric' cars coming with a small gas engine/generator in the future.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 10:43 AM   #6454

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
Theres no substitute for cubic amps.

Ok, in every engineer there is a frustrated teacher just dying to get out, so heres one chance for me.

Electric motors are ideal for pulling heavy loads. That's why all locomotives use them as the final drive. Due to its design, electric induction motors produce their maximum torque at zero speed. Just perfect for getting a heavy load moving. Torque decreases as the motor speeds up, approaching zero torque at synchronous speed.

Synchronous speed is a function of frequency (Usually 60 hz in the US) and the number of poles in the motor. The math boils down to 120x60 (freq)/number of poles. A motor can only have even numbers of poles, so a 2 pole motors sync speed is 3600rpm. A 4 pole is 1800, a 6 pole is 900 and on and on. Were you to energize a motor with no load on them, they would run at that speed and produce zero torque. Of course, with zero torque, any load applied to them will slow the motor down. As it slows down, torque is produced and at some point the load and torque will balance. The nameplate of the motor will list it speed at it's rated horsepower. Usually a 4 pole motor will run somewhere around 1730rpm. The difference between the sync speed and the actual speed at rated HP is called slip and is determined on how the motor was made. That speed is solid. You can't vary the speed by changing voltage. Like I said, its a function of how the motor was made, and the frequency of the power coming into it. So how do you vary the speed? A neat little device called a Variable Frequency Drive (VFD) that bacically converts the incoming 60hz AC into DC, then forms that DC back into AC and whatever frequency you want. Vary the frequency, vary the speed. They make a distinctive, high pitched noise when running. I've worked with them enough that I can tell if a motor is VFD controlled or not just by standing by it.

Torque and Amps are practically interchangeable in an induction motor. As you add load, the motor slows down from synchronous speed, torque is generated and the amps go up. At rated load, the expected amp draw is called Full Load Amps (FLA) and is listed on the nameplate of the motor. At zero speed the motor will make its most torque, and also use the most amps. This is called "locked rotor amps" and is usually about 400 times the amp draw at full load. It can be quite alarming watching the amp draw on a motor starting a heavy, high inertia load like a big fan or pump. Any electric motor will gleefully make many times its rated horsepower. The only limit is for how long. A starter motor in your car might make 15HP but only for 30 second at a time before it overheats. It is very small, weighing in at about 25 pounds. A 15 HP industrial air-cooled motor rated for continuous use weighs about 270 pounds. Tesla motors are more powerful and lighter because of advanced cooling practices.

Tesla's are cool, but the car i admire the most is the Chevy Volt. It's a true hybrid, meaning that the ONLY motor driving the wheels is the electric one. The gas engine only runs a generator, providing power to the traction motor and charging the batteries. That is pretty much how a diesel-electric locomotive runs and I bet you will see a LOT of 'electric' cars coming with a small gas engine/generator in the future.

Tim
Nice write-up. I knew much, but certainly not all, of that.
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 11:00 AM   #6455

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-W View Post
Spending some time relaxing after Goshen. Currently, in Traverse City, MI @ Holiday Park CG. Our neighbors a few sites down have a very interesting pet.Can't say I've ever seen this in a CG. Did a double take the first time we saw her as she was being walked on a leash.
This is a family pet and travels the country with them in their van & RV. She can do tricks and loves prunes!

Here's my wife with our new friend.
dont sound like a good idea to feed a goat prunns
ijon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 03:13 PM   #6456
Site Team

Site team note:

We moved the off-topic conversation to it's own thread. Feel free to continue debating it there.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 03:26 PM   #6457

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
Site team note:

We moved the off-topic conversation to it's own thread. Feel free to continue debating it there.
Which? The goats or electric vehicles?

One is funny... which!
RobertDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 03:37 PM   #6458

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertDS View Post
Which? The goats or electric vehicles?

One is funny... which!
X'2 I'm confused....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 03:54 PM   #6459

Things you see in an RV Park

Back to our regularly scheduled program. I found a whole nest of tent people. They weren’t there. It reminded me of that movie “Pods”. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0248.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	581.0 KB
ID:	184903
Full Time in the Summer, soon
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 03:56 PM   #6460

Site team. I’m trying to help you here keeping things on topic. Doing the best I can but some of the participants seem to have a lot of trouble staying focused.
Full Time in the Summer, soon
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote