Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2019, 07:23 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Our Cherokee 38P destination trailer sits at the same campground site year-round. We are there maybe 20-50% of the time depending on season, other travel plans, and family concerns.

The trailer still has the CH751 locks on the baggage doors. Outside are two 30 lb propane cylinders, a 100 lb cylinder, and three 20 lb cylinders, two shrouds, two batteries. Also a spade, a rake, a 75' garden hose, two white sanitary hoses, one heated, lawn chairs, 35 gallon plastic garbage cans, a ladies bicycle, swimming pool for the dog, and a pressure washer. Not to mention a golf cart with keys in it, using six golf cart batteries. In an unlocked cabin next to the trailer is a residential refrigerator, charger for the golf card, table and chairs, lounge, and a couple of "Zero-G" chairs. I just removed and discarded from the cabin a TV, VCR/DVD player, and home theater.

There's more, but this list is getting long.

And what has been stolen from this site in the last seven years?
Nothing!

Larry
looks like you just put up someones christmas list
Wonderful co-pilot
madatme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 07:24 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by old40ford View Post
I changed the locks on my 2005 Wilderness and that didn't do anything to stop them. They just pried the doors open, those storage door lock tabs are very weak. One time I just left a note on it that said please just ask me for it and you can have, don't destroy my camper.
X2, better off
Wonderful co-pilot
Old 07-15-2019, 07:30 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daycruiser View Post
You're right, anything you can do to act as a deterrent to theft will work for you in an insurance claim. My RV storage lot had new fencing put in with new electric gates, noticed that they didn't put back the Razor Wire or Barbed Wire when they put in the new fence. Guess why? They don't want the liability if somebody tries to climb it and gets injured so they would prefer that the thieves steal stuff and shift the liability and loss from them to the tenant. Nice ain't it.
if it were my fence i would hang shotguns, we all work way to hard and have fun for some #$%^*(&$^%@#$ (potty mouth)to ruin things
Wonderful co-pilot
Old 07-15-2019, 08:10 PM   #64

I have been lucky and have not had any trouble. My best friend had his trailer in a storage lot where someone stole the TV antenna from off the roof! Of course, a rain storm came along prior to discovery so their trailer suffered water damage too.
Heli-Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:48 PM   #65

Two times I have been it. Once was on a Lance slide in camper where someone sole the Onan generator out of the bay. Cut all the wires and took the generator while it was in a "secure" storage yard. Found it out when I wart to load it for a trip.. next was on a fifth wheel when we stopped at Denny's for breakfast. Someone popped a door and stole my fishing rods. Thieves and low lifespan's are everywhere, it seems.
2008 Jeep JKS
Ready Brute Elite / Blue Ox BP
High Desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:23 PM   #66

We’ve been lucky that nothing has been stolen from our trailer. But the first trip of more than a weekend we took in our 3-month old TT (at the time), a thief used the trailer as a hiding place while stealing the rear license plate from our tow vehicle when we stopped for a meal. We noticed it as soon as we arrived home that evening.
So very frustrating, even though no damage, and no loss of value. The thief even returned the attachment screws into the empty plate frame!
flosmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:35 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGK View Post
... I do lock our Hensley Arrow, ...
How? I'm considering a ProPride 3P which would be equally tempting to some. I'd hate to lose it

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 06:45 AM   #68

Guess they didn't need the bungies

We had parked for lunch next to a large shopping center with a huge parking lot - lots of people and cars around - didn't really think we needed to be too concerned about anyone taking anything off the coach, but, oh, was I mistaken. Returned from lunch to find the ladder I had bungied to the roof ladder stolen.

However, they were nice enough to leave the two bungie cords dangling from the bottom step of the coach ladder. Go figure...
tdgysin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 08:01 AM   #69

Nothing yet but attempted quite often in the past. I do not leave my battery in the box while stowed at home yet have found the lid for it laying off to the side more times than I care to think about. I am sure it's pissed off a few rats who pulled it off thinking they were going to take the battery. We are now able to park on the other side of the house, much more secure, motion activated flood lights on the front of the camper, and the battery is still in the garage. I do leave the propane tanks in it now though, locked with the heaviest duty cable lock I was able to get. I know someone determined enough could probably get them anyway but I generally hope they wouldn't want to expend that much time. "Hope" being the operative word I guess.

2018 T21TBHW A-Frame
2012 Nissan Pathfinder
tlspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 08:45 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Desert View Post
Two times I have been it. Once was on a Lance slide in camper where someone sole the Onan generator out of the bay. Cut all the wires and took the generator while it was in a "secure" storage yard. Found it out when I wart to load it for a trip.. next was on a fifth wheel when we stopped at Denny's for breakfast. Someone popped a door and stole my fishing rods. Thieves and low lifespan's are everywhere, it seems.
Well, you do live in Crook County after all
Days camped 2021: 19
Days camped 2020: 18
Days camped 2019: 17
Chief T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:28 AM   #71

Batteries stolen

After camping for a weekend last summer I came back to my (expensive) storage spot that is “guarded” by a heavy gate with a huge chain and lock only to see a couple of batteries on the ground in front of other units. Someone had come in with cable cutters and stolen batteries from battery boxes. They would have had to carry the batteries a half a block since they couldn’t get through the gate except by walking but several batteries were gone so they had plenty of time to do it. Of course the hassle is more than replacing a battery because you also have to repair or replace power cables.

We had had the same problem in the neighbourhood earlier in the season when people parked their units in front of their houses in preparation to go camping the next day. I think it was the same bunch and they probably decided it would be less risky and more profitable to hit a campground storage area.

I don’t leave my battery in the box now when it’s in storage and I have a locked chain around the empty box to act as a deterrent. I now also chain my 30# propane tanks to the frame. I lock a chain around the battery box when it’s in front of my home overnight. It isn’t a huge deterrent to a determined thief but I figure they will will move on to some other unit that’s an easier target.

Old 07-16-2019, 09:39 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimi n Pop View Post
I'm thinking about buying a surge protector? They sure look easy to steal. Do most people use these? Or am I asking for an $80 device to just get stolen?
We use one but I also secure it with a cable lock. If they want it bad enough they’re gonna have to work for it. This is the lock. I also use one of these to secure my battery box om my TT.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

"Red" my 2018 Ford Lariat F-150 4X4 W/ Max Tow pkg
"Rover" our 2018 Forest River Wildwood X-Lite 241qbxl
revbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:36 AM   #73

Tail light bulbs

I had the bulbs taken from the taillights. They carefully put the lens back on.
I guess it was too much trouble to go to the parts store.
2014 Forester 3051s
2013 Fiat 500 Sport
Workin on my Curmudgeon badge
rapiniii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 11:24 AM   #74

Yep...used to own laundromats. Least secure lock out there.

Replaced all my tubular locks on my money boxes on my washers to a different type. They were a huge problem at coin laundry's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
The last time I posted that these cylindrical locks are insecure (less secure than the CH751), I got a really nasty response from the OP, so I'm not going to post it again.

Larry
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 11:29 AM   #75

Buy a hard wired one.
Quote:
I'm thinking about buying a surge protector? They sure look easy to steal. Do most people use these? Or am I asking for an $80 device to just get stolen?
Old 07-16-2019, 11:32 AM   #76
Always Learning

Quote:

1, I’ve never heard of one being stolen.

2, they usually have a loop for a lock.

3, you want more than just a surge protector... surges are rare. Miswired pedestals and low voltage are way more common. Read this for more details:
https://learntorv.com/what-surge-pro...est-for-my-rv/
Old 07-16-2019, 02:32 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchilero53 View Post
I now remove any hitches or periferals (spring bars, friction anti-sway bars) and store them in a secure box in the bed under a locked hard tonneau cover.
I think it is very inconsiderate to leave a ball receiver in the hitch as they stick out enough to either cause damage to another vehicle or person. Don't know why people do it as you can tell that a number of them haven't had anything hitched to them in quite awhile. It seems to me they are asking someone to take it or they are just too lazy in taking it out when they have finished towing.

I have always removed mine and stored it in the camper bay when done towing even if I plan to use it later in the day. Takes a minute and a half.

2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 (40.5ft)
TST Cap System (Tire Monitoring)
2021 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 4X4 DRW Duramax (replaced 2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Duramax)
Curt A25 5th Wheel Hitch (replaced Demco 18K Auto-slide)
LittleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 07:04 PM   #78

I welded a receiver to the frame of my trailer. It slides in there secured with a locking pin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBill View Post
I think it is very inconsiderate to leave a ball receiver in the hitch as they stick out enough to either cause damage to another vehicle or person. Don't know why people do it as you can tell that a number of them haven't had anything hitched to them in quite awhile. It seems to me they are asking someone to take it or they are just too lazy in taking it out when they have finished towing.

I have always removed mine and stored it in the camper bay when done towing even if I plan to use it later in the day. Takes a minute and a half.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:28 PM   #79

Back in the 1970s

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBill View Post
Back in the 1970s I had a ball permanently affixed to my 1963 Econoline van. I was glad to have had it. I got lightly rear-ended in Minneapolis traffic at least once and the only damage was scratches in the paint on the ball.

Had that vehicle from 1971 to about 1975 and I don't think I ever walked into the ball. Used it as a daily driver

Come to think of it, the ball on my 1962 Impala is also permanently affixed. I've had it since 2006 and never walked into it either. And I used it daily for a few years, too.

I've got a pintle hook on the back of the golf cart as well. My buddy went hysterical about covering it (used some foam pipe insulation and cable ties) and I don't think anyone has walked into it either.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 01:15 AM   #80

Left my shoes and cigarettes outside overnight. In the morning both were gone...

2019 Viking TT
Not Retired
California
TJLogan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer