Old 05-18-2016, 09:50 PM   #1

Think I made a mistake!! Ordered a trailer.

Well , wanted a toy hauler. Found a fifth wheel but bedroom didn't have enough head room to stand up in. They make same trailer in hitch pull . It's long total 40 ft. 34 ft box. Well dealer said they had one on order . We have a trip scheduled for a week from now. Trailer still not here !! Was supposed to be here last week. Called salesman Tuesday he said well be here today but he's off . Only day I can pick up between now and vacation is Friday !! What a mess . We explained to the salesman we had the trip. Oh boy .

Old 05-18-2016, 09:56 PM   #2
Site Team

This is not a purchase you want to rush. You want to do a complete PDI and be willing to leave the unit if there are issues that need to be repaired. Once you take it and sign the paperwork, you lose your leverage with the dealer. In addition, you will want to take some time to equip the TT and become familiar with the unit. If possible try to get the dealer to loan/rent you a unit for this trip. Remember Salesman will tell you what ever you want to hear to save the deal.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 10:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattrousseau View Post
Well , wanted a toy hauler. Found a fifth wheel but bedroom didn't have enough head room to stand up in. They make same trailer in hitch pull . It's long total 40 ft. 34 ft box. Well dealer said they had one on order . We have a trip scheduled for a week from now. Trailer still not here !! Was supposed to be here last week. Called salesman Tuesday he said well be here today but he's off . Only day I can pick up between now and vacation is Friday !! What a mess . We explained to the salesman we had the trip. Oh boy .
Matt, FLYBOB is right, BUT.....................lol

May of last year my wife and I bought a new Grey Wolf 27RR due to the price point and our RZR fit in the garage area. We used it several times and loved it, just not enough of it to love. LOL July 3rd last year (yes-2 months later) we took it fully loaded to a dealer 4 hours south of us, traded it in on a new Puma Unleashed 351THSS-moved all our crap from the 27RR to the 351THSS in their parking lot and hit the road to go camping and RZR riding that afternoon......... Turned out to be a great move trading up to the 5th wheel and the dealership was awesome about the whole thing.

With all that said, my advice is to give yourself the ENTIRE day that Friday to spend at the dealership so that IF anything pops up they can repair it on the spot and get you on the road. Believe me, I get it! Time is the one thing we can't buy and will never have enough of. If it were me, I would relax, go get it on your Friday off and enjoy it when you head out. To me the most important part of the PDI process is the dealer setting up your hitch, truck, and trailer properly for towing BEFORE you leave!

The first dealership we bought from last year hurried through truck, hitch, trailer setup and it towed like azz. (with a RAM 2500 Cummins 4wd). The 2nd dealership really helped me set up same truck with 5th wheel to make sure it was right before we left and it was great!

Lastly, NOT trying to sway you at all, but a 5th wheel sure is a lot easier to maneuver and tow in my honest opinion. Not to mention hitching and un-hitching a 5th wheel takes all of 2 seconds. After having a hitch pull and a 5th wheel all in the same day, I will never go back to a hitch pull.
Gil
Old 05-18-2016, 10:21 PM   #4

Oh yeah, so WHICH toy haulers are you looking at??? The 5th wheel and the hitch pull???
Old 05-18-2016, 10:26 PM   #5

Hitch pull. The fifth wheel there is not enough head room . It's a work and play trailer . We have a geo tracker we rock crawl with. Need the weight carrying capacity. It's a 34 wrs . I also have a 14 ram diesel 4x .2500 for a truck.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Hitch pull. The fifth wheel there is not enough head room . It's a work and play trailer . We have a geo tracker we rock crawl with. Need the weight carrying capacity.
That's what we do with our RZR. We compete in the SRRS series and other local events in TN and AL.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:29 PM   #7

I just hope the trailer makes it here on Friday !!
Old 05-18-2016, 10:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Hitch pull. The fifth wheel there is not enough head room . It's a work and play trailer . We have a geo tracker we rock crawl with. Need the weight carrying capacity. It's a 34 wrs . I also have a 14 ram diesel 4x .2500 for a truck.
GREAT truck and you will be glad you DON'T have the damn independent rear suspension that my '15 has.....
Old 05-18-2016, 10:31 PM   #9

Quote:
I just hope the trailer makes it here on Friday !!

Where do you live? There are work and plays in stock all over in the southeast region.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:39 PM   #10

Ohio. O have the same spring set up as yours . I just put air bags on it. And bought a blue ox wd setup. Tongue weight is heavy. It list it at 1850 lbs . Empty . But I think putting 3000 in back of trailer well help a bit

Tags
trailer