Old 04-05-2012, 07:48 PM   #11

After towing our 20' for well over 30,000 miles without incident a big truck bumped us. We started swaying and ended flipping all the way over. Car destroyed and trailer destroyed. truck didn't stop. Wife not injured but I had fractured vertabre. Spent a month in the hospital. It can happen. We are back to towing our new 20' with Toyota Sequoia.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:11 PM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhilley View Post
After towing our 20' for well over 30,000 miles without incident a big truck bumped us. We started swaying and ended flipping all the way over. Car destroyed and trailer destroyed. truck didn't stop. Wife not injured but I had fractured vertabre. Spent a month in the hospital. It can happen. We are back to towing our new 20' with Toyota Sequoia.
Yikes, I am glad it all worked out for you and your wife. It could have been much more tragic. I hope your back does not "speak" to you often.
Mine chats with me everytime the weather changes.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:48 AM   #13

These are all very good points....Now turn the page....Think about the things that could happen in front of you while towing, think about the things that you check but others don't, look at some of the other campers that are dragging the ground as an examble, do you think for one minute that they a your safety in mine. I have towed on I-95 and I and my speed is between 60 to 65 and some of these people that have 5th wheels and large motor homes that are towing at a rate of 75 mph plus are just are just as dangerous, just blow a tire while passing an SUV full of kids or get next an 18 wheeler, you see the combinations of accidents are endless and the injuries or death are unthinkable, if you would like reality to come into play than google "towing accidents with travel trailers" and put your self in the middle of all of that, then ask your self what would you do differently.......Towing is no Joke.
Use your head and be safe, allow enough time to get where you are going.

NOTE: I am not picking on anyone and i realize people that drive other kinds vehicles do some dumb stuff to those of us that tow but we become part of the problem or part of the solution to this madness, protect your famlly and other families around you......HAPPY CAMPING.............
Old 04-06-2012, 09:19 AM   #14

The DH does half of the work and I do the other half, then we check the others work and recheck again. You can never be to careful.
2011 Greywolf 26rl "Wounded Wolf"
camped 2013 94 days 2014 24 days

nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:40 AM   #15
Mod free 5er

Spent over 2 months in FL (Dec, Jan & Feb) and was amazed at the no. of elderly folks that can barely walk and some on canes that come into campgrounds in monster motor homes and see them on the hwy driving 65, 70 and faster. Scares the devil out of us. We usually slow down and let them pass and get a long way ahead of us or just pull off at an exit. Can't imagine how they would react if they had a blowout or something. I think it is criminal that states do not require a driving test for motor homes, 5vers & tt.