Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2011, 02:56 AM   #21

Oh by the way - the F350 comment was tongue in cheek...... changing the truck isn't an option.
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:09 AM   #22

this is the spec I found online, mentions towing weights: Brochure

We never load it up fully, so I guess the F150 which can tow 11000 lbs should be ok? I'm thinking a camper in the region of 20-23ft would be a better fit for us and our truck in reality.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:11 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaB View Post
We never load it up fully, so I guess the F150 which can tow 11000 lbs should be ok? I'm thinking a camper in the region of 20-23ft would be a better fit for us and our truck in reality.
Just because Ford advertises towing up to 11,000 lbs. for a 2010 F150, does not mean that you have the capacity to do that. Cab/bed configuration, engine size, final drive ratio, and whether your truck is a 2 or 4 wheel drive figures in on the towing figure. There are some 2010 F150s that are rated to tow only 5100 lbs. Check out this chart for your truck stats: http://www.ford.com/assets/pdf/towin...vF150sep09.pdf Also, a heavy duty factory tow package is a must, or you will have to bring your truck up that state with add ons.

Interesting that the pdf link has a section on slide in campers, where my 2006 F150 specifically says no.

Even if your truck is rated to tow 11,000 lbs, the limiting factor in many 1/2 ton trucks is the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR). In my situation, I can tow up to 9300 lbs., but am near my GVWR even with my trailer that weighs 5500 lb. camping ready. With me in the drivers seat, full tank of gas, a couple of things in the bed, I am at 6000 lbs. with no trailer hooked up. My GVWR is 7200 lbs., leaving me 1200 lbs. for cargo and passengers. The tongue of my trailer is 700 lbs., but I throw about 120 lbs. of that back onto the trailer axles with a WDH. So, just with the trailer hooked up, I am adding 580 lbs. to my truck. Add the missus and dog at about 225 lbs. (big dog ), my genny at 80 lbs., a couple of bikes and 50 lbs., firewood, etc........and you can see how the weight adds up.

With a slide in camper previously mentioned, the entire weight of the camper is on the truck......tow capacity does not figure in at all. With my truck, passengers, and gear, I would have to keep a slide in camper in the 600 lb. range.....I don't think they make em' that lite. The same goes for a 5th wheel trailer, since the entire weight of the pin sits on the truck, although I could load some of my camping gear into the trailer.

Just speculating here, but with a 750 lb. tongue weight on your current trailer, you might already be over the GVWR of your truck. After running the stats with your truck through the pdf link, figure out what your true tow capacity is, and find a trailer that is under those limits.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:08 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
If you do decide to get a smaller trailer. When at the dealer ask the salesperson if you and your better half could have an 1/2 or so alone in the trailer. Just sit in the trailer and talk to each other. You will get a feeling what it would be like if you had to be in the trailer because of bad weather.
I strongly agree with the above. We did opposite mistake and we lost 5k in the Trade. The Value of RV's drops like you wouldn't believe. They don't care if it's less than a year old or used 1 time. My Wife and I decided to get a RV. It was just us 2 and our 1yr old at the time. We thought a small 16ft KZ Sportsmen Classic would be perfect!!! We were on lot, it had everything. BUT BUT BUT and keep in mind when you see them in lot you see them with nothing in it. Then factor in, Groceries, Clothing, Purses, Camera bags, Diaper bags, strollers, jackets, snack bags, blah blah and every other crap that ends being taken along and you start to get a very claustrophobic feel. And like posted before, if there is bad weather or you have to be inside how comfortable will you be?

Ruben Zamora
2007 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Dmax/Allison, 4" Exhaust-no cat-no muffler
2012 Palomino Puma 23FB
RubenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:57 AM   #25

Thanks Mtnguy for that info. I *think* we have the heavy duty payload package, but will double check.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:19 AM   #26

Thank you everyone for your help. You have all been so knowledgeable and I've learned more from this forum thread than anywhere else!!

I just checked into our VIN and we have a GVWR of 9700lbs - so we are definitely pushing it. Crap. Being newbies at this, we were relying on the salesman as much as anything, and I guess there's no comeback on that - we should have double and triple checked, we thought we had got it right.

Might be a Wildwood coming up for sale soon - this decision may have been made for us
Old 09-12-2011, 11:59 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Thank you everyone for your help. You have all been so knowledgeable and I've learned more from this forum thread than anywhere else!!

I just checked into our VIN and we have a GVWR of 9700lbs - so we are definitely pushing it. Crap. Being newbies at this, we were relying on the salesman as much as anything, and I guess there's no comeback on that - we should have double and triple checked, we thought we had got it right.

Might be a Wildwood coming up for sale soon - this decision may have been made for us
I doubt that an F150 would have a 9700 lb. GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating). It is more likely in the range of 7200 lbs. The GVWR is listed on the drivers side door. Now, if that 9700 lb. is the tow rating, then you are doing pretty good....that probably means you have the 5.4L engine with a 3.55 final drive ratio.....not as good for towing as a 3;73, but not too shabby, either.

Before doing anything too drastic, why don't you give the forum members here the stats on your truck ??

The GVWR as listed on the drivers door.

Engine

Final Drive Ratio (if unknown, give us the axle code on the drivers door).

Cab/Bed configuration, including the length of the bed.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:14 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
I doubt that an F150 would have a 9700 lb. GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating). It is more likely in the range of 7200 lbs. The GVWR is listed on the drivers side door. Now, if that 9700 lb. is the tow rating, then you are doing pretty good....that probably means you have the 5.4L engine with a 3.55 final drive ratio.....not as good for towing as a 3;73, but not too shabby, either.

Before doing anything too drastic, why don't you give the forum members here the stats on your truck ??

The GVWR as listed on the drivers door.

Engine

Final Drive Ratio (if unknown, give us the axle code on the drivers door).

Cab/Bed configuration, including the length of the bed.

I phoned the VIN number into the dealer and was told it was 9700lbs for this truck which is indeed the H9 axle/3.55 drive ratio. Yes, it's the 5.4L 4WD.

Hubby says we never load it up, or travel with water in it and so he's not too worried - but I'm freaking out as I've always worried about it being too big and now I'm convinced
Old 09-12-2011, 12:24 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I phoned the VIN number into the dealer and was told it was 9700lbs for this truck which is indeed the H9 axle/3.55 drive ratio. Yes, it's the 5.4L 4WD.

Hubby says we never load it up, or travel with water in it and so he's not too worried - but I'm freaking out as I've always worried about it being too big and now I'm convinced
Just to confirm, check out the sticker on the drivers door for the GVWR.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:31 PM   #30

7200lbs.

Tow rating 9700lbs - which means I shouldn't be towing anything heavier than that, it's my maximum tow capacity.

GVWR is 7200lbs - but what exactly does that mean? Weight in the deck?

I am finding this hard to understand! Sorry!
Old 09-12-2011, 12:51 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

The GVWR of 7200 lbs. is the maximum weight your truck can weigh, including the weight of the truck, passengers, and payload.

The tow capacity is the maximum of what your truck can pull....in your case 9700 lbs.

There is also a GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating). In your case, that is probably 15,400 lbs. That is the combination of your truck and everything in it, along with the trailer, and everything in that.....the total weight of every thing going down the road. If you are maxed out on your GVWR at 7200 lbs., then you should not tow more than a 8200 lb. trailer. (15,400 lbs. minus 7200 lbs.). Likewise if you are towing the maximum of a 9700 lb. trailer, then your truck should weigh no more than 5700 lbs.....that is pretty much empty except for a driver.

There are also RAWR (rear axle weight rating) and FAWR (front axle weight rating) that will be posted on the drivers door. Those 2 figures totaled should equal more than the GVWR, so you have a little leeway there. But it is important that when setting up your WDH (weight distributing hitch) that neither of those 2 figures are exceeded, also.

Hope those explanations are not too confusing.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:59 PM   #32

Mtnguy - that is VERY helpful and you have clarified things wonderfully.

I was going totally cuckoo over these ratings, especially when the front and rear axles were listed too - I was beginning to wish I hadn't started!
Old 09-12-2011, 01:04 PM   #33

We do travel extremely lightly as we only go for weekends, and the truck is relatively empty along with most of the cupboards in the camper.

I am going to go in and speak with the Forest River dealership today, and see what they suggest. I am wanting more than ever now, to trade in the Wildwood. Trouble is, I've no idea where to start if I try to sell privately!

I hate being new at anything, I feel really dim I don't know more about this - now ask me about computer programming and I'll be fine!!
Old 09-12-2011, 01:20 PM   #34

For selling it privately I would suggest starting with Kijiji.ca

The other thing I see people do is park it at Walmart. If you are going to do that have info sheets printed up and available.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:06 PM   #35
Site Team

Quote:
7200lbs.

Tow rating 9700lbs - which means I shouldn't be towing anything heavier than that, it's my maximum tow capacity.

GVWR is 7200lbs - but what exactly does that mean? Weight in the deck?

I am finding this hard to understand! Sorry!
if the truck's GVWR is 7200lbs., that's the max the truck can weigh, without the trailer.
this will include any payload in the truck, including the tongue weight of the trailer and WDH.
the trailer has its own GVWR, again the max the trailer can weigh.

your combos max weight is called GCWR or Gross Combined Weight Rating.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:43 PM   #36

Our camping "family" consists of just the DH and I. We bought a Rockwood 8293RKSS, 32' 2" overall. It sleeps.......2 (two). {There's a reason we didn't opt for the couch with the air bed!} I don't consider it "overkill" or too big for us. After alll, we have a 3-bedroom, 2.5 bath house for the two of us!! We tent camped for 20+ years, and I would never, ever consider anything smaller. This one fits our needs to a "T" and has everything we wanted. It all comes down to what you can afford, what you're comfortable towing and what TT you can find that has the features you want. Unless you're strapped financially, I would stick with what you have. Just MHO.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:06 PM   #37

Well I just went and saw a great camper - perfect layout on a smaller scale for us. A Surveyor SP220. However, the dealership wants $8K from us...... I am thinking I might get used to the Wildwood size after all. That's friggin insane!
Old 09-12-2011, 05:07 PM   #38

$8K plus our 1 year old Wildwood?!
Old 09-12-2011, 05:25 PM   #39
Site Team

the minute you drive off the dealer's lot, you just lost 30%-40% of the value.

they know that they've got you over a barrel and will give you absolute low value for it. plus the Wildwood line is an entry-level one and the Surveyor is one of the upper lines.

can you try some other dealers?
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:31 PM   #40
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

we bought our tt in 2006 and traded it in for a 5er this year and we figured from the day we bought it to the day we traded it we lost $1900.00 a year for 6 years .
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote