Old 09-12-2011, 01:51 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

The GVWR of 7200 lbs. is the maximum weight your truck can weigh, including the weight of the truck, passengers, and payload.

The tow capacity is the maximum of what your truck can pull....in your case 9700 lbs.

There is also a GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating). In your case, that is probably 15,400 lbs. That is the combination of your truck and everything in it, along with the trailer, and everything in that.....the total weight of every thing going down the road. If you are maxed out on your GVWR at 7200 lbs., then you should not tow more than a 8200 lb. trailer. (15,400 lbs. minus 7200 lbs.). Likewise if you are towing the maximum of a 9700 lb. trailer, then your truck should weigh no more than 5700 lbs.....that is pretty much empty except for a driver.

There are also RAWR (rear axle weight rating) and FAWR (front axle weight rating) that will be posted on the drivers door. Those 2 figures totaled should equal more than the GVWR, so you have a little leeway there. But it is important that when setting up your WDH (weight distributing hitch) that neither of those 2 figures are exceeded, also.

Hope those explanations are not too confusing.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:59 PM   #32

Mtnguy - that is VERY helpful and you have clarified things wonderfully.

I was going totally cuckoo over these ratings, especially when the front and rear axles were listed too - I was beginning to wish I hadn't started!

Old 09-12-2011, 02:04 PM   #33

We do travel extremely lightly as we only go for weekends, and the truck is relatively empty along with most of the cupboards in the camper.

I am going to go in and speak with the Forest River dealership today, and see what they suggest. I am wanting more than ever now, to trade in the Wildwood. Trouble is, I've no idea where to start if I try to sell privately!

I hate being new at anything, I feel really dim I don't know more about this - now ask me about computer programming and I'll be fine!!
Old 09-12-2011, 02:20 PM   #34

For selling it privately I would suggest starting with Kijiji.ca

The other thing I see people do is park it at Walmart. If you are going to do that have info sheets printed up and available.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:06 PM   #35
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaB View Post
7200lbs.

Tow rating 9700lbs - which means I shouldn't be towing anything heavier than that, it's my maximum tow capacity.

GVWR is 7200lbs - but what exactly does that mean? Weight in the deck?

I am finding this hard to understand! Sorry!
if the truck's GVWR is 7200lbs., that's the max the truck can weigh, without the trailer.
this will include any payload in the truck, including the tongue weight of the trailer and WDH.
the trailer has its own GVWR, again the max the trailer can weigh.

your combos max weight is called GCWR or Gross Combined Weight Rating.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:43 PM   #36

Our camping "family" consists of just the DH and I. We bought a Rockwood 8293RKSS, 32' 2" overall. It sleeps.......2 (two). {There's a reason we didn't opt for the couch with the air bed!} I don't consider it "overkill" or too big for us. After alll, we have a 3-bedroom, 2.5 bath house for the two of us!! We tent camped for 20+ years, and I would never, ever consider anything smaller. This one fits our needs to a "T" and has everything we wanted. It all comes down to what you can afford, what you're comfortable towing and what TT you can find that has the features you want. Unless you're strapped financially, I would stick with what you have. Just MHO.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:06 PM   #37

Well I just went and saw a great camper - perfect layout on a smaller scale for us. A Surveyor SP220. However, the dealership wants $8K from us...... I am thinking I might get used to the Wildwood size after all. That's friggin insane!
Old 09-12-2011, 06:07 PM   #38

$8K plus our 1 year old Wildwood?!
Old 09-12-2011, 06:25 PM   #39
Moderators' Assistant

the minute you drive off the dealer's lot, you just lost 30%-40% of the value.

they know that they've got you over a barrel and will give you absolute low value for it. plus the Wildwood line is an entry-level one and the Surveyor is one of the upper lines.

can you try some other dealers?
Old 09-12-2011, 06:31 PM   #40
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

we bought our tt in 2006 and traded it in for a 5er this year and we figured from the day we bought it to the day we traded it we lost $1900.00 a year for 6 years .