Old 09-12-2011, 06:45 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

if you are positive you want to change to another camper, put the Wildwood up for a private sale. Ask $1000 less than what you paid for it, and go from there. Then go camper shopping at the next RV show near you....they put those puppies there at good discounts.

The Surveyor SP models don't come with some of the stuff that the regular models do. I don't think the SP models have enclosed under bellies, and some may have leaf springs instead of torsion axles. Check out the differences before you decide on a model.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:53 PM   #42

I think you have a good strong truck for all you are towing and the distance that you tow with it,but if you are still worried maybe it would make more sense to trade the truck instead,you might take less of a hit financially.

1968 Pontiac Le Mans
Malco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:55 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
the minute you drive off the dealer's lot, you just lost 30%-40% of the value.
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
we bought our tt in 2006 and traded it in for a 5er this year and we figured from the day we bought it to the day we traded it we lost $1900.00 a year for 6 years .
Holy sh*t guys - those are some scary figures!!!!

Yes I shall shop around for sure, don't want yet another mistake.

Are the Surveyors a good van? This one sure has a great layout for us, although much smaller water tanks.... but I guess that's the price you pay for a smaller camper! I don't really know what size water tank I need - we have always had plenty in the Wildwood, so I'm a little lost there. Two of us away for the weekend = 2 showers and a little bit of washing up ?
Old 09-12-2011, 06:58 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
The Surveyor SP models don't come with some of the stuff that the regular models do. I don't think the SP models have enclosed under bellies, and some may have leaf springs instead of torsion axles. Check out the differences before you decide on a model.
Wow - interesting, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malco View Post
I think you have a good strong truck for all you are towing and the distance that you tow with it,but if you are still worried maybe it would make more sense to trade the truck instead,you might take less of a hit financially.
Do you? Oh I would really feel better about the whole thing if I thought the truck could manage ok!! - at this rate I am so disappointed at the used value of the camper, maybe I should just pack more stuff and spread it around a bit.....
Old 09-12-2011, 07:01 PM   #45
Moderators' Assistant

anytime you decide to trade-in something, you're going to lose big time.
i'm 57 years old and refuse to do trade-ins, because the dealer always wins out.
i've always sold my older cars/trucks/campers myself. and i've almost always got my asking price.

i suggest trying to sell it yourself. you'll have a better bargaining position with cash and no trade-in.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:04 PM   #46

I won't change the truck though Malco. I love it, it also does everything we want otherwise and returns good fuel economy. It doesn't (apart from the hike in fuel economy when towing the camper) seem to struggle (it tows our 23ft boat perfect with very little hike in economy, yet the boat is heavier?? I guess more streamlined than the Wildwood which is shaped like a housebrick!) - it's just me freaking out reading about weight ratios and I feel like we are borderline with it... that coupled with it being too big now our needs have changed is what started all this indecision off.

Having said that and finding out what I have, I'm more inclined to keep the darned thing!......
Old 09-12-2011, 07:04 PM   #47

I really wouldn't worry about it,the fellow I work with regularly tows a work trailer with the same truck and it is a 2500lb trailer loaded with around 4000 to 4500 lbs of gear and materials.
1968 Pontiac Le Mans
Malco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:04 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
anytime you decide to trade-in something, you're going to lose big time.
i'm 57 years old and refuse to do trade-ins, because the dealer always wins out.
i've always sold my older cars/trucks/campers myself. and i've almost always got my asking price.
Same here, except I am 58.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:08 PM   #49

Quote:
i suggest trying to sell it yourself. you'll have a better bargaining position with cash and no trade-in.
I have just advertised it on Kijiji - if it doesn't sell, then that decision is done, because I'm not going to line the dealer's pockets.

I shall make sure we travel lightly and swallow my problem about it being too big - who knows, like someone else mentioned, I may get used to it eventually
Old 09-12-2011, 08:54 PM   #50

Just make sure you don't skimp on the details in your ad- put as much as you can. I would also include the floorplan in the pictures; as well as at least one shot of the outside.

Keep in mind that us trailer geeks know that trailer, but your average person on Kijiji does not. Things I would include:
- Fridge and freezer size
- Stove- number of burners.
- Oven?
- Microwave
- Size of water tanks
- Queen size walk around bed.
- Talk about the storage
- A/C and furnace
- Dual kitchen sinks
- What does it have for audio and video?
- Maybe double check this- but no HST because it is used.

You've got a great trailer- now it's your job to sell it!

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote