Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2011, 05:45 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

if you are positive you want to change to another camper, put the Wildwood up for a private sale. Ask $1000 less than what you paid for it, and go from there. Then go camper shopping at the next RV show near you....they put those puppies there at good discounts.

The Surveyor SP models don't come with some of the stuff that the regular models do. I don't think the SP models have enclosed under bellies, and some may have leaf springs instead of torsion axles. Check out the differences before you decide on a model.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:53 PM   #42

I think you have a good strong truck for all you are towing and the distance that you tow with it,but if you are still worried maybe it would make more sense to trade the truck instead,you might take less of a hit financially.
1968 Pontiac Le Mans
Malco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:55 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
the minute you drive off the dealer's lot, you just lost 30%-40% of the value.
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
we bought our tt in 2006 and traded it in for a 5er this year and we figured from the day we bought it to the day we traded it we lost $1900.00 a year for 6 years .
Holy sh*t guys - those are some scary figures!!!!

Yes I shall shop around for sure, don't want yet another mistake.

Are the Surveyors a good van? This one sure has a great layout for us, although much smaller water tanks.... but I guess that's the price you pay for a smaller camper! I don't really know what size water tank I need - we have always had plenty in the Wildwood, so I'm a little lost there. Two of us away for the weekend = 2 showers and a little bit of washing up ?
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:58 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
The Surveyor SP models don't come with some of the stuff that the regular models do. I don't think the SP models have enclosed under bellies, and some may have leaf springs instead of torsion axles. Check out the differences before you decide on a model.
Wow - interesting, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malco View Post
I think you have a good strong truck for all you are towing and the distance that you tow with it,but if you are still worried maybe it would make more sense to trade the truck instead,you might take less of a hit financially.
Do you? Oh I would really feel better about the whole thing if I thought the truck could manage ok!! - at this rate I am so disappointed at the used value of the camper, maybe I should just pack more stuff and spread it around a bit.....
Old 09-12-2011, 06:01 PM   #45
Site Team

anytime you decide to trade-in something, you're going to lose big time.
i'm 57 years old and refuse to do trade-ins, because the dealer always wins out.
i've always sold my older cars/trucks/campers myself. and i've almost always got my asking price.

i suggest trying to sell it yourself. you'll have a better bargaining position with cash and no trade-in.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:04 PM   #46

I won't change the truck though Malco. I love it, it also does everything we want otherwise and returns good fuel economy. It doesn't (apart from the hike in fuel economy when towing the camper) seem to struggle (it tows our 23ft boat perfect with very little hike in economy, yet the boat is heavier?? I guess more streamlined than the Wildwood which is shaped like a housebrick!) - it's just me freaking out reading about weight ratios and I feel like we are borderline with it... that coupled with it being too big now our needs have changed is what started all this indecision off.

Having said that and finding out what I have, I'm more inclined to keep the darned thing!......
Old 09-12-2011, 06:04 PM   #47

I really wouldn't worry about it,the fellow I work with regularly tows a work trailer with the same truck and it is a 2500lb trailer loaded with around 4000 to 4500 lbs of gear and materials.
1968 Pontiac Le Mans
Old 09-12-2011, 06:04 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
anytime you decide to trade-in something, you're going to lose big time.
i'm 57 years old and refuse to do trade-ins, because the dealer always wins out.
i've always sold my older cars/trucks/campers myself. and i've almost always got my asking price.
Same here, except I am 58.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:08 PM   #49

Quote:
i suggest trying to sell it yourself. you'll have a better bargaining position with cash and no trade-in.
I have just advertised it on Kijiji - if it doesn't sell, then that decision is done, because I'm not going to line the dealer's pockets.

I shall make sure we travel lightly and swallow my problem about it being too big - who knows, like someone else mentioned, I may get used to it eventually
Old 09-12-2011, 07:54 PM   #50

Just make sure you don't skimp on the details in your ad- put as much as you can. I would also include the floorplan in the pictures; as well as at least one shot of the outside.

Keep in mind that us trailer geeks know that trailer, but your average person on Kijiji does not. Things I would include:
- Fridge and freezer size
- Stove- number of burners.
- Oven?
- Microwave
- Size of water tanks
- Queen size walk around bed.
- Talk about the storage
- A/C and furnace
- Dual kitchen sinks
- What does it have for audio and video?
- Maybe double check this- but no HST because it is used.

You've got a great trailer- now it's your job to sell it!

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:59 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Just make sure you don't skimp on the details in your ad- put as much as you can. I would also include the floorplan in the pictures; as well as at least one shot of the outside.

Keep in mind that us trailer geeks know that trailer, but your average person on Kijiji does not. Things I would include:
- Fridge and freezer size
- Stove- number of burners.
- Oven?
- Microwave
- Size of water tanks
- Queen size walk around bed.
- Talk about the storage
- A/C and furnace
- Dual kitchen sinks
- What does it have for audio and video?

You've got a great trailer- now it's your job to sell it!
Thanks - good advice

I am just talking to hubby, who was also under the impression we had the extra weight rated towing capacity. I guess if the VIN number says the truck is base towing package - if the towing package was uprated at any stage it would have been in the records? So we must presume we don't have it.

Neither of us are too happy right now!
Old 09-12-2011, 08:15 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

There is nothing shabby about a 9700 tow rating.....that is 400 lbs over my tow capacity.

That trailer shows a 6550 lb. empty weight....it probably weighs 7000 lbs after adding options, propane and a battery. If you load 1000 lbs in your trailer, then you are still well under the 9700 lb. tow rating. The F150 should handle that well. The somewhat heavy tongue weight cuts into the GVWR of the truck, but if you keep the load lite in the bed of the truck, have your WDH and sway control setup properly, and have a good brake controller, there is no reason that that fairly long wheelbased F150 can't tow that trailer.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:22 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
There is nothing shabby about a 9700 tow rating.....that is 400 lbs over my tow capacity.
Ya, but you were sensible and knowledgeable and bought a camper which was the right size for your truck!

Edited to add more, because my internet connection is slow here and I didn't get the rest of your message....

THANK YOU for that last comment - I actually feel much happier after reading that! We have two batteries, so I guess that's yet more weight - but we do keep the truck pretty much empty. In fact there is only us, two pushbikes and two border collies in the truck - whatever we need is in the camper, and that's pretty empty too!
Old 09-12-2011, 09:46 PM   #54
Site Team

Load up the trailer & truck and head to the scales. Once you do this you will know what numbers you are actually dealing with. This will make you feel better... (or not).

While your trailer is up for sale try to get out and enjoy it in the meantime. The more you use it the more you can find out what you like and don't like. It's not a bad thing to get some use out of your "Investment" until it has a new owner.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:31 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
Load up the trailer & truck and head to the scales. Once you do this you will know what numbers you are actually dealing with. This will make you feel better... (or not).

While your trailer is up for sale try to get out and enjoy it in the meantime. The more you use it the more you can find out what you like and don't like. It's not a bad thing to get some use out of your "Investment" until it has a new owner.
Good idea! It's actually not far to the scales! That is definitely worth doing
Old 09-13-2011, 09:43 PM   #56

Our friends tow their 32-footer with a ram 1500 short-box, and it does fine. They don't plan on making any trips over huge mountains, but it is very adequate for what they're towing.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:33 AM   #57

trading trailers

My wife and I bought a Hybrid trailer,Surveyor 224t, has lots of room inside to sit if you need to and you can pull out 3 beds for company if you want to. My wife and I have back problems and then traded it for a Tracer 29BDH so we are doing the opposite of what you are looking at doing,lol. But look at the a/n trailer and I think you will like the layout for your needs,imho. Oh by the way, we now tow a 6000lb trailer with a 2006 Ford F150 SC with a 4.6 motor, it hauls it just fine. What you have will tow your trailer just fine, only on the hills will you notice it struggling a little , but thats what trucks were made for, relax and try and enjoy the scenery,lol.

Dennis
F'ton N.B. Canada
dennis5_0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:17 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis5_0 View Post
My wife and I bought a Hybrid trailer,Surveyor 224t, has lots of room inside to sit if you need to and you can pull out 3 beds for company if you want to. My wife and I have back problems and then traded it for a Tracer 29BDH so we are doing the opposite of what you are looking at doing,lol. But look at the a/n trailer and I think you will like the layout for your needs,imho. Oh by the way, we now tow a 6000lb trailer with a 2006 Ford F150 SC with a 4.6 motor, it hauls it just fine. What you have will tow your trailer just fine, only on the hills will you notice it struggling a little , but thats what trucks were made for, relax and try and enjoy the scenery,lol.

Dennis
Thanks Dennis.

We are actually looking at the Surveyor SP220? There seems to be some models with leaf axles and some with torsion - so don't quite know why that is. The layout is amazing, and doesn't feel too much different to the big Wildwood, we were very impressed when we sat in it.

We intend to investigate much more of course, after what has happened but it sure looks like it might do the trick for us.

The only thing is - is why are the Surveyors $10K cheaper in the States! I think we need a visit across the border! Anyone on here a US dealer?!!
Old 09-15-2011, 05:42 PM   #59

Lots of dealers in the States will be glad to sell you a trailer and will even arrange delivery for you,ours came from a dealer in Detroit through a small independent dealer in NS.
1968 Pontiac Le Mans
Old 09-24-2011, 10:56 PM   #60

My husband and I looked for it seemed like forever for the right camper, for just the two of us. We finally decided on the Micro lite with the slideout, the camper has the floor space we need not to get in each other's way, and the bath is nice. The bed is just right for us, since we put memory foam on it, and it weighs about 3200 dry. The wonderful thing is I can park and drive this with our Dodge Dakota 4x4! It serves what we always wanted no canvas and enough space and perks so we don't go crazy if it is raining! I have always thought campers were made for 2 people anyway, but then we don't have children and that is how we like it.
tkephart1 is offline   Reply With Quote