Old 01-16-2015, 11:47 AM   #1

thinking about a 36' camper

Looking ahead to my next TT, have narrowed my short list down to about 6 different floorplans from 3 different mfgs. All the TTs seem to be right at 36' for overall length. Anyone forsee any issues 'fitting' into campgrounds with this length? My current trailer is 34' overall and have ran into a couple spots that were tight but everything was manageable. Only once I had to park my truck elsewhere but no big deal. I thought I saw somewhere a length restriction in state parks but I may be wrong.

maybe I am crazy... considering increasing the trailer gvw by 1000 lbs and length by a couple feet from what I have now. but I have been smitten with the opposing slides on the rear LR units. no problem for my truck to handle but wondering about any other possible issues I could run into.

before you ask, 5th wheel is out of the question for me now due to my unique circumstances... wife and I use the camper for business travel in addition to 'fun' camping, and I need to keep the bed of the truck open for other things.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:57 AM   #2
Site Team

My over all length is 36' 8"(hitch to bumper), we lost out on going to many state parks here in Il. Some have only a few spots I can get into. Now I research cg a lot more and use google earth's measuring tool.

Love my opposing slides !

2017-67 / 16-92 / 15-73 / 14-60 / 13-33
Seasonal
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 02:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
My over all length is 36'8"(hitch to bumper), we lost out on going to many state parks here in Il. Some have only a few spots I can get into. Now I research cg a lot more and use google earth's measuring tool.

thanks... you taught me something, I never noticed the measuring tool in google earth... looks like a handy feature...
Old 01-16-2015, 02:38 PM   #4

We ran into this exact same issue when looking at Rear Entertainment models. You say LR but I think you are actually talking about rear entertainment based on the length and "opposing slides" comment. We ended up going with a Puma 31-RDKS and really liked it. 2 large slides versus one large and one small on many of them, 34'5" length as opposed to most being 36' +, a bar with bar stools that is very handy, you don't have to walk through to kitchen area to walk from living area to the bathroom or bedroom, the kitchen is all together as opposed to having the fridge across the camper like many rear entertainment models. We had a 2012 Puma 30-DBSS, then this one, and we are now selling it to our in-laws and have another Puma ordered. They are currently in a Puma 27-RBSS that they will be selling. We've obviously all been very happy with our Pumas. They are aluminum sided, which isn't the trend right now- but aluminum siding has a lot of benefits. You should check them out. We've bought all of ours from RVWholesalers and have been very happy with the service. I've been in TONS of campers over the last few years- kind of my hobby to swing into dealerships and just look- and feel that the Puma is VERY hard to beat in terms of build quality and bang for the buck. Good luck in your search.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
My over all length is 36'8"(hitch to bumper), we lost out on going to many state parks here in Il. Some have only a few spots I can get into. Now I research cg a lot more and use google earth's measuring tool.

I recently purchased a 2009 Silverado 2500/6.0/3.73/CC that replaced a 2006 Chevy Express 2500/6.0/3.73 and am curious if you've brought your setup to the scales. I have not had a chance to weigh my current setup just yet. If so what are you weighing in at? What cab do you have? Just curious. Will help me out figuring out my current arrangement. Thanks.

http://instagram.com/pineforestcamper#
----------------------------------------
PineForestCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 03:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineForestCamper View Post
I recently purchased a 2009 Silverado 2500/6.0/3.73/CC that replaced a 2006 Chevy Express 2500/6.0/3.73 and am curious if you've brought your setup to the scales. I have not had a chance to weigh my current setup just yet. If so what are you weighing in at? What cab do you have? Just curious. Will help me out figuring out my current arrangement. Thanks.
sorry, have never weighed my rig. I tow with either a chevy crew cab duramax dually or a ford crew cab powerstroke dually and never had an issue (with towing, the 6.0 powerstroke motor is junk but that's another story). those are our business trucks we also use for work/play. the duramax is my daily driver.

and yes to dustman_stx, I meant to say rear entertainment unit... considering the rear lounge also but much prefer the tv on the back wall. just my wife and I for now so couples coaches appeal to us the most. 1st grandchild is on the way tho, hoping eventually they'll want to go camping with grandma and grandpa so maybe the camper after this next one will be a bunkhouse who knows.

I am thinking I can live with 36' overall length and just pick my campsites carefully and know there will some it won't fit in.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
We ran into this exact same issue when looking at Rear Entertainment models. You say LR but I think you are actually talking about rear entertainment based on the length and "opposing slides" comment. We ended up going with a Puma 31-RDKS and really liked it. 2 large slides versus one large and one small on many of them, 34'5" length as opposed to most being 36' +, a bar with bar stools that is very handy, you don't have to walk through to kitchen area to walk from living area to the bathroom or bedroom, the kitchen is all together as opposed to having the fridge across the camper like many rear entertainment models. We had a 2012 Puma 30-DBSS, then this one, and we are now selling it to our in-laws and have another Puma ordered. They are currently in a Puma 27-RBSS that they will be selling. We've obviously all been very happy with our Pumas. They are aluminum sided, which isn't the trend right now- but aluminum siding has a lot of benefits. You should check them out. We've bought all of ours from RVWholesalers and have been very happy with the service. I've been in TONS of campers over the last few years- kind of my hobby to swing into dealerships and just look- and feel that the Puma is VERY hard to beat in terms of build quality and bang for the buck. Good luck in your search.
the 31-RDKS looks great, but the aluminum sides are a deal breaker for me. Have that now on my Salem, and after 1) waxing the trailer (pita with all the grooves), and 2) dinging the aluminum with the end of my water hose once when rolling it up, I am looking toward fiberglass. actually one of the trailers on my shortlist, a Cougar 33RES, is almost identical to your layout so I know why you like what you have.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:53 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineForestCamper View Post

Yes I have, gotta look for that info
2017-67 / 16-92 / 15-73 / 14-60 / 13-33
Seasonal
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 12:50 PM   #9

My experience is that you will have problems at alot of parks but I don't think adding a few feet will make that much difference that what you are use to now..
Old 01-17-2015, 03:46 PM   #10

Unless you always go to the same places or set up for long periods of time don't go longer. We went from 30 to a 36 foot trailer and found we missed out on some of the older or more interesting campgrounds in our travels in Canada and the USA. Also many shopping centres and gas stations are not user friendly and you can't just pop into a little overlook or tourist shop if you want. We have gone to a Flagstaff 26FKWS which is just under 30' in total and it's made the world of difference because of the lighter weight shorter length and large slide which creates a large usable space. There are only two of us so we are thrilled with our 3rd new trailer in 21 years because we have everything we need.

Tags
camper