Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2015, 11:47 AM   #1

thinking about a 36' camper

Looking ahead to my next TT, have narrowed my short list down to about 6 different floorplans from 3 different mfgs. All the TTs seem to be right at 36' for overall length. Anyone forsee any issues 'fitting' into campgrounds with this length? My current trailer is 34' overall and have ran into a couple spots that were tight but everything was manageable. Only once I had to park my truck elsewhere but no big deal. I thought I saw somewhere a length restriction in state parks but I may be wrong.

maybe I am crazy... considering increasing the trailer gvw by 1000 lbs and length by a couple feet from what I have now. but I have been smitten with the opposing slides on the rear LR units. no problem for my truck to handle but wondering about any other possible issues I could run into.

before you ask, 5th wheel is out of the question for me now due to my unique circumstances... wife and I use the camper for business travel in addition to 'fun' camping, and I need to keep the bed of the truck open for other things.
steveh326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 11:57 AM   #2
Site Team

My over all length is 36' 8"(hitch to bumper), we lost out on going to many state parks here in Il. Some have only a few spots I can get into. Now I research cg a lot more and use google earth's measuring tool.

Love my opposing slides !

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 02:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
My over all length is 36'8"(hitch to bumper), we lost out on going to many state parks here in Il. Some have only a few spots I can get into. Now I research cg a lot more and use google earth's measuring tool.

thanks... you taught me something, I never noticed the measuring tool in google earth... looks like a handy feature...
Old 01-16-2015, 02:38 PM   #4

We ran into this exact same issue when looking at Rear Entertainment models. You say LR but I think you are actually talking about rear entertainment based on the length and "opposing slides" comment. We ended up going with a Puma 31-RDKS and really liked it. 2 large slides versus one large and one small on many of them, 34'5" length as opposed to most being 36' +, a bar with bar stools that is very handy, you don't have to walk through to kitchen area to walk from living area to the bathroom or bedroom, the kitchen is all together as opposed to having the fridge across the camper like many rear entertainment models. We had a 2012 Puma 30-DBSS, then this one, and we are now selling it to our in-laws and have another Puma ordered. They are currently in a Puma 27-RBSS that they will be selling. We've obviously all been very happy with our Pumas. They are aluminum sided, which isn't the trend right now- but aluminum siding has a lot of benefits. You should check them out. We've bought all of ours from RVWholesalers and have been very happy with the service. I've been in TONS of campers over the last few years- kind of my hobby to swing into dealerships and just look- and feel that the Puma is VERY hard to beat in terms of build quality and bang for the buck. Good luck in your search.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 03:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
My over all length is 36'8"(hitch to bumper), we lost out on going to many state parks here in Il. Some have only a few spots I can get into. Now I research cg a lot more and use google earth's measuring tool.

I recently purchased a 2009 Silverado 2500/6.0/3.73/CC that replaced a 2006 Chevy Express 2500/6.0/3.73 and am curious if you've brought your setup to the scales. I have not had a chance to weigh my current setup just yet. If so what are you weighing in at? What cab do you have? Just curious. Will help me out figuring out my current arrangement. Thanks.

https://instagram.com/pineforestcamper#
----------------------------------------
PineForestCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 03:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineForestCamper View Post
I recently purchased a 2009 Silverado 2500/6.0/3.73/CC that replaced a 2006 Chevy Express 2500/6.0/3.73 and am curious if you've brought your setup to the scales. I have not had a chance to weigh my current setup just yet. If so what are you weighing in at? What cab do you have? Just curious. Will help me out figuring out my current arrangement. Thanks.
sorry, have never weighed my rig. I tow with either a chevy crew cab duramax dually or a ford crew cab powerstroke dually and never had an issue (with towing, the 6.0 powerstroke motor is junk but that's another story). those are our business trucks we also use for work/play. the duramax is my daily driver.

and yes to dustman_stx, I meant to say rear entertainment unit... considering the rear lounge also but much prefer the tv on the back wall. just my wife and I for now so couples coaches appeal to us the most. 1st grandchild is on the way tho, hoping eventually they'll want to go camping with grandma and grandpa so maybe the camper after this next one will be a bunkhouse who knows.

I am thinking I can live with 36' overall length and just pick my campsites carefully and know there will some it won't fit in.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
We ran into this exact same issue when looking at Rear Entertainment models. You say LR but I think you are actually talking about rear entertainment based on the length and "opposing slides" comment. We ended up going with a Puma 31-RDKS and really liked it. 2 large slides versus one large and one small on many of them, 34'5" length as opposed to most being 36' +, a bar with bar stools that is very handy, you don't have to walk through to kitchen area to walk from living area to the bathroom or bedroom, the kitchen is all together as opposed to having the fridge across the camper like many rear entertainment models. We had a 2012 Puma 30-DBSS, then this one, and we are now selling it to our in-laws and have another Puma ordered. They are currently in a Puma 27-RBSS that they will be selling. We've obviously all been very happy with our Pumas. They are aluminum sided, which isn't the trend right now- but aluminum siding has a lot of benefits. You should check them out. We've bought all of ours from RVWholesalers and have been very happy with the service. I've been in TONS of campers over the last few years- kind of my hobby to swing into dealerships and just look- and feel that the Puma is VERY hard to beat in terms of build quality and bang for the buck. Good luck in your search.
the 31-RDKS looks great, but the aluminum sides are a deal breaker for me. Have that now on my Salem, and after 1) waxing the trailer (pita with all the grooves), and 2) dinging the aluminum with the end of my water hose once when rolling it up, I am looking toward fiberglass. actually one of the trailers on my shortlist, a Cougar 33RES, is almost identical to your layout so I know why you like what you have.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:53 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:

Yes I have, gotta look for that info

Zelda the campin dog
Old 01-17-2015, 12:50 PM   #9

My experience is that you will have problems at alot of parks but I don't think adding a few feet will make that much difference that what you are use to now..
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 03:46 PM   #10
Senior Gold Member

Unless you always go to the same places or set up for long periods of time don't go longer. We went from 30 to a 36 foot trailer and found we missed out on some of the older or more interesting campgrounds in our travels in Canada and the USA. Also many shopping centres and gas stations are not user friendly and you can't just pop into a little overlook or tourist shop if you want. We have gone to a Flagstaff 26FKWS which is just under 30' in total and it's made the world of difference because of the lighter weight shorter length and large slide which creates a large usable space. There are only two of us so we are thrilled with our 3rd new trailer in 21 years because we have everything we need.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:21 PM   #11
campr-pete

We purchased a 2014 Coachmen liberty EXPRESS 322RLDS it is 36' rear opposing slides w/ island in kitchen, led lighting and I've not had any issues getting in to the campground sites, been camping for 25+ years including state parks on the east coast and in fl. and never had any size issues. If you feel you would like the extra 2'go for it. wt. 7900 unloaded about 10000lbs loaded.
campr-pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 04:46 PM   #12

if you stay at the bigger resort type campgrounds I would say go for it. You really should have most of you reservations made around this time of year with that size rig which is not a problem if you just do it. We have a 31footer now and if we don't get a Motorhome or a toy hauler it will be a TT around 35 or so feet, which I consider about the max for a TT anything over the 34-36ft in a TT is too much in my opinion.
Looking to purchase a Georgetown 364 ts Mh in the next couple of years.
mr dually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 04:56 PM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

A lot of the state parks in Michigan are older and set up when TT were 21-25 footers Each park has a size limit for each lot. I've been locked out CGs that still had 25% openings because my 38' 5er didn't fit.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 05:10 PM   #14
fx2

In CA State parks there are some we can't go to, others we just have to pick the right spots. I couldn't go smaller, too spoiled with the room we have

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2002 Ford F250 7.3l 4x4
fx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 05:53 PM   #15

Some of the above comments are the reason I bought a 30 footer, long enough to be comfortable but not so long as to be locked out of some state parks here in Idaho and Oregon.
Old 01-17-2015, 07:12 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
I have a extended cab (not the full 4 door size) 4x4 6 1/2' bed 6.0 / 3.73
Truck only 6480 (3/4 tank of gas)
Truck with camper 15,360
About 1,200 tongue
More then the mfg stated with hardly any cargo.
Tows great

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130922_133237_909.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	336.2 KB
ID:	68519

Zelda the campin dog
Old 01-17-2015, 08:54 PM   #17

Our Lacrosse 327RES with the dual rear slides and a bedroom slide overall length, as annotated by the manufacturer, is 36'9". I tow with a Chevy 2500 crew cab. Recently we have been looking for campgrounds but also have noticed that many of the S.P. Campgrounds are "tight" from what it appears, so I have those concerns also. However I have found several campgrounds within a reasonable distance from our home that will accommodate us. Point is: Get what you want. Accommodating sites are out there, but you just have to look a little harder. Also, if you have an IPad, get the Allstays Camp & RV app. It has/provides a wealth of information.

Days camped 2014 - 0, 2015 - 24
IlliniJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 02:10 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh326 View Post
the 31-RDKS looks great, but the aluminum sides are a deal breaker for me. Have that now on my Salem, and after 1) waxing the trailer (pita with all the grooves), and 2) dinging the aluminum with the end of my water hose once when rolling it up, I am looking toward fiberglass. actually one of the trailers on my shortlist, a Cougar 33RES, is almost identical to your layout so I know why you like what you have.

Just don't be under any illusions that the fiberglass sided is going to be perfect. They are easier to keep clean, but there is the possibility of delamination. I suggest you inspect every seam on your new camper and add Dicor (roof) or Proflex (windows, doors, etc.) anywhere that even hints that it could eventually leak. If you ever get delamination it will most likely be caused from water entering at a seam. And my understanding is it takes VERY little and will NOT stop until repaired (difficult and expensive). Also, most insurance will NOT cover delamination, but they do cover hail damage to aluminum rigs. Also, I wash my trailer regularly but haven't ever waxed mine and frankly don't see the point- this coming from someone that is ANAL about taking care of things. I do keep mine under a shed when not in use. I supposed if it was out baking in the sun 24/7/365 it would be important to do.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 07:42 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
Just don't be under any illusions that the fiberglass sided is going to be perfect. They are easier to keep clean, but there is the possibility of delamination. I suggest you inspect every seam on your new camper and add Dicor (roof) or Proflex (windows, doors, etc.) anywhere that even hints that it could eventually leak. If you ever get delamination it will most likely be caused from water entering at a seam. And my understanding is it takes VERY little and will NOT stop until repaired (difficult and expensive). Also, most insurance will NOT cover delamination, but they do cover hail damage to aluminum rigs. Also, I wash my trailer regularly but haven't ever waxed mine and frankly don't see the point- this coming from someone that is ANAL about taking care of things. I do keep mine under a shed when not in use. I supposed if it was out baking in the sun 24/7/365 it would be important to do.
You can say that again! Mine started to have crows feet in one small area.(3 or 4 inches or so) Body shop did the repair work under warranty.
Stick and tin is not all that bad of an idea. Oh and Im kinda ANAL about taking care of things myself as well.

Zelda the campin dog
Old 01-26-2015, 09:17 AM   #20
ALF

Cool Choosing TT size

We are trying to decide if we can comfortably go to a 36' Work and Play. We have a 2014 F-250 Power Stroke with the 6.7 engine. The Work and Play we like weighs 10,110 lbs dry. Our major concerns are not if it will pull the camper but if we will be able to stop it comfortably. Can someone give me some feedback on this?
ALF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper