Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2016, 05:56 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrapp View Post
It's like there is a secret society out there that you have to learn about through many hours of trial and error before you can get anything done.
That is because you never learned the secret 1000th post handshake grasshopper.
You get the exclusive list of contacts for FR executives and ceramonial robe to wear at the rallies.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 06:12 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchman12001 View Post
You get the exclusive list of contacts for FR executives and ceramonial robe to wear at the rallies.
1,000 posts huh?? Man, as a newbie, I have a looonngg way to go.......
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 06:33 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsimms View Post
1,000 posts huh?? Man, as a newbie, I have a looonngg way to go.......
Don't worry, all the "oldies" are here to help you 24 hrs a day, everyday.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 07:02 PM   #44

Quote:
Very cool! Just what I wanted.
I wasn't suggesting that any of the "oldies" were trashing on "newbies" I have gotten help from "oldies" myself on this forum.
Just suggesting ways to make the RV experience better.
Thanks to everybody who participated.
I'm over and out.
jeffrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 07:17 PM   #45
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Don't worry, all the "oldies" are here to help you 24 hrs a day, everyday.
Why do I see George Clooney helping Danny DeVito have an espresso.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 07:40 PM   #46

My last Thor was a rig I never felt comfortable with. Nice but there was just something I couldn't put my finger on. Roof had dry rot in the one corner by bad caulking and it sat on a dealer lot for over a year. Dealer since it was their property should have checked that before it just sat there, but they had no issue pawing it off on me. I learned something new. Fortunately although there was a spot, I sealed it and never had any water inside. I think it drained out the corner. No delamination or anything. Got rid of it just the same. They'll send it to auction anyway is my guess.

This new cottage worries me a bit, maybe unnecessarily, but on walk through, the stereo was cockeyed in the slot, the glass cover on the cookstve would close, misaligned, and a piece of corner carpet by the bed was not tacked. All was dealer fixed. But why in the world would i be even presented with it like that? Hope the finishers were different from the general builders, and that 4 drunk guys on late Friday didn't build this one! If I was president of a division I guarantee that NO coach would go out of my plant at less then spec'd condition. My name is on that door. No, Things happen. Componentry is bad. I get it. But if leaking, shoddy work, bad seals, walls, crap hanging off for not being installed would NOT BE HAPPENING! Somebody would be out of a job that day.
Mdaniels4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 07:01 PM   #47

Curtis trailers in Portland OR told me they wont sell Forest River products because of the extremely poor warranty, worthless in fact. Our 2015 FR Palimino has many issues but we are living in it for an extended period of time so dropping it off for repairs is not an option. Heard many nightmare stories on how long any repair action takes from others about this. Broken gas assist rams, finish trim pieces bowing and breaking, furnace works, then does not, both exterior doors hang up, corigan countertops cracking,the list goes on and on. Fun times ahead this Winter.
west coast struttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 07:32 PM   #48
Oklahoma Proud

I found some campers for all you all that dont see that most fr campers are "value" priced and we get alot for our dollar honestly!!
We bought our 42' sabre with 4 slides for somewhere in between the price of the 2 smaller airstreams i posted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1480897794239.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	126181   Click image for larger version

Name:	1480897808719.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	126182   Click image for larger version

Name:	1480897821130.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	126183  
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 09:48 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
I found some campers for all you all that dont see that most fr campers are "value" priced and we get alot for our dollar honestly!!
We bought our 42' sabre with 4 slides for somewhere in between the price of the 2 smaller airstreams i posted.

You can go out and buy a GMC Denali or Ford Limited for 60K, or a GMC WT or Ford XL for around 20K to 25K less which are value priced. You could also buy a top dollar Mercedes or a Kia which is value priced.

When you buy a lower level model or trim level you do not get gas tanks that fall out, tires that blow and are borderline rated for the load, a heater that works intermittently, brake and fuel lines that leak, body panels which fly off going down the highway, seat upholstery that disintegrates and flakes away, frames that crack or flex to the point of body seams coming apart, radios that are wired incorrectly, an AC system that will not cool the interior on a sunny day, a roof that pulls loose while driving or leaks, it go's on and on. You also get true quality control and inspections before your value priced vehicle leaves the factory as opposed to some fantasy load of crap on a glossy brochure.

You can also go to any dealer anywhere in the country and get warranty service usually the same day without being asked if you bought it there or not, and the dealer is required to do so by the manufacturer if he wants to carry the brand. You do not have to wait weeks or months for warranty parts to become available that when they do the manufacturer wants to wait until they send their dealer new units, so they can pack them inside to save on the shipping costs.

Don't put to much faith in those Airstreams. They're not the same as they were before they went under the Thor umbrella. All they are doing is marketing to a group of suckers who have a higher disposable income level, and usually a much higher snob factor.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 10:02 PM   #50

Ouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by west coast struttin View Post
Curtis trailers in Portland OR told me they wont sell Forest River products because of the extremely poor warranty, worthless in fact. Our 2015 FR Palimino has many issues but we are living in it for an extended period of time so dropping it off for repairs is not an option. Heard many nightmare stories on how long any repair action takes from others about this. Broken gas assist rams, finish trim pieces bowing and breaking, furnace works, then does not, both exterior doors hang up, corigan countertops cracking,the list goes on and on. Fun times ahead this Winter.
Doesn't sound like Curtis Trailers will be on Warren or Peter's Christmas gift list this year.

I do agree with the worthless warranty comment. That was certainly my experience with FR.
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 11:41 PM   #51
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
You can go out and buy a GMC Denali or Ford Limited for 60K, or a GMC WT or Ford XL for around 20K to 25K less which are value priced. You could also buy a top dollar Mercedes or a Kia which is value priced.

When you buy a lower level model or trim level you do not get gas tanks that fall out, tires that blow and are borderline rated for the load, a heater that works intermittently, brake and fuel lines that leak, body panels which fly off going down the highway, seat upholstery that disintegrates and flakes away, frames that crack or flex to the point of body seams coming apart, radios that are wired incorrectly, an AC system that will not cool the interior on a sunny day, a roof that pulls loose while driving or leaks, it go's on and on. You also get true quality control and inspections before your value priced vehicle leaves the factory as opposed to some fantasy load of crap on a glossy brochure.

You can also go to any dealer anywhere in the country and get warranty service usually the same day without being asked if you bought it there or not, and the dealer is required to do so by the manufacturer if he wants to carry the brand. You do not have to wait weeks or months for warranty parts to become available that when they do the manufacturer wants to wait until they send their dealer new units, so they can pack them inside to save on the shipping costs.

Don't put to much faith in those Airstreams. They're not the same as they were before they went under the Thor umbrella. All they are doing is marketing to a group of suckers who have a higher disposable income level, and usually a much higher snob factor.
This thinking that vehicles and rvs are the same or should be handled the same is crazy.
They have wheels and titles, thats were the commonality stops.
I have worked for auto dealerships most of my life and at some point i will probably have a marine or rv dealership or both.
Auto dealerships are frachised and have rules you have to follow along with csi scores that need to be high.
Rv dealerships are independently owned and have no franchise type agreements for the most part. Anyone that has a dealer license and a wad of cash to order trailers, can for the most part. There are going to be teritories though in most cases.

Like many have said before in other posts, the dealership rarely recoups their labor from the manufacturer on warranty claims. And to really get close to recouping those costs.....you have to HIRE someone to spend their whole day writing tickets up to convince the manufacturer that they should pay it.

You wouldn't expect target to warranty something you bought at walmart even if they both sell the same thing. Most products have a repair facility that it would need to go to.

These arnt cars or trucks, honestly they are more hardware store products in the way they are handled and sold.

It sux to have problems, and i understand. I've had 2 5ers that ive ordered and had little issues with. But people need to understand this is how stuff works. Its not a car dealership.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 12:17 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post

Airstream had been living off that reputation and snob appeal long before bought by Thor. Hard to be in one for long ~~ like being in a pipe or tube.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 04:55 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
This thinking that vehicles and rvs are the same or should be handled the same is crazy.
They have wheels and titles, thats were the commonality stops.
I have worked for auto dealerships most of my life and at some point i will probably have a marine or rv dealership or both.
Auto dealerships are frachised and have rules you have to follow along with csi scores that need to be high.
Rv dealerships are independently owned and have no franchise type agreements for the most part. Anyone that has a dealer license and a wad of cash to order trailers, can for the most part. There are going to be teritories though in most cases.

Like many have said before in other posts, the dealership rarely recoups their labor from the manufacturer on warranty claims. And to really get close to recouping those costs.....you have to HIRE someone to spend their whole day writing tickets up to convince the manufacturer that they should pay it.

You wouldn't expect target to warranty something you bought at walmart even if they both sell the same thing. Most products have a repair facility that it would need to go to.

These arnt cars or trucks, honestly they are more hardware store products in the way they are handled and sold.

It sux to have problems, and i understand. I've had 2 5ers that ive ordered and had little issues with. But people need to understand this is how stuff works. Its not a car dealership.
I am fully aware an RV dealership is not an automotive dealership or anywhere close to being structured like one from a perspective of relationship with the manufacturer. That is one of the reasons you find countless threads such as this here, and at every other RV related forum. Perhaps some day it will, but I suspect that will take some type of government intervention or regulation. As much as I don't like government regualtion if anything ever needed it this industry is what does.

I still don't see why anyone should expect a POS, and then a PITA trying to get the thing serviced under a warranty that the manufacturer blows smoke about in the marketing, because its "value priced". One mans 20K or 30K is value priced to some........some it is not. Nothing in this cut and paste job below about anything being "value priced"

"At Forest River, we have a passion for the great outdoors and want to enable our owners to experience all the beauty that Mother Nature has to offer. That is why we build quality, dependable recreational vehicles. Plus, with manufacturing facilities throughout the Midwest and west coast, we are able to fill your orders promptly without cutting corners or rushing through the production procedures. (really? Outstanding!) This ensures that each Forest River product is conscientiously built and undergoes thorough, detailed inspection before being shipped. (simply not true).''

To me defending a manufacturer to no end who puts out substandard products somewhat consistently, making your purchase akin to walking over to a Las Vegas craps table is crazy. It took me two throws of the dice to get a Rockwood delivered I would accept from a build quality standpoint. I walked on the GMC dealers lot and signed the papers on a truck without taking it for a test drive or sitting in it and never had a worry. You had damn sure worry when buying an RV.

These guys, and its not just Forest River but the industry as a whole, are simply playing out the marketing in the BS brochures and websites as long as they can get away with it while times, and more importantly sales, are good. Its a crapshoot to them also. The normal way of doing business.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:20 AM   #54

I'm with Mr. Havercamp

The "buyer beware" posts are for new purchasers (like I was) who didn't have a clue that buying an RV was a crap shoot. It is. There should be a handout provided to prospective purchasers about warranty service at other than the selling dealer and information about the lead time for parts and repairs. Never going to happen, though.

For those who have done it more than once, you at least know what you are getting into (or you should).

Like the old saying "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me!" I won't be doing this again.
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 09:24 AM   #55
Broken Toe

To fully understand the RV equation, all you have to do is consider this.

Light Weight
Low Cost
Great Quality.

Pick any two...

Tim

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 09:47 AM   #56
Site Team - Lou

I had a small delamination from a leaky marker beacon.
Here is how the factory fixed it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2641.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	222.0 KB
ID:	126203   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2642.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	126204   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2643.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	184.0 KB
ID:	126205  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 09:57 AM   #57

May hurt your fuel economy. Not so politically correct aerodynamically

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:05 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Do you know if they used epoxy, or the red glue used when the panel was originally made. If your going to have delam having it in an area like that is the place. At least it can be accessed easily by removing the bottom trim. The OP's delam sounds like it's in an area not so easy without removing the awning attachment, and possibly the gutter rail above which opens up a can of worms as far as the roof is concerned.

I have been able to pull the fiberglass out enough to use red glue (contact cement) a few times when near an edge like that, just enough to spray it up in, then use a heat gun to get it to tack, then do the clamping. If its not near and edge or a window you can pull easily though, no choice but to drill and use the epoxy injection. That stuff works.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:07 AM   #59

As with everything in life of substance, you usually get what you pay for or to put it another way....

Don't buy a sow's ear and expect a silk purse.....
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:09 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Herk,Post #2 was brought up back in March,he didn't like that idea! I think this falls under "Don't Try,Just Gripe"! Youroo!!

Tags
forest river