Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2013, 08:01 PM   #1

Thinking of buying a 2010 sunseeker 3100 ss

Hey everyone,

This will be my first RV purchase, Im am super excited and a little nervous too! I play golf for a living and will be traveling with 2 buddies across america playing the tours for about 6 months straight.

The 2010 sunseeker 3100ss seems to fit our needs perfectly, most important is the sleeping arangements and large amount of storage both inside the rv and underneath.

My main question is what should I be looking for when buying? We are concerned about resale as we will probably be selling it back after the tour (maybe) I know we are going to get zapped with depreciation but would like to limit that as much as possible. So what do you guys think a standard depreciation would be driving about 20,000 miles over 6 months?

The unit we are looking at is as follows:

2010 sunseeker 3100ss with 31,000 miles:
4.0 micro quiet onan generator
water filter system
carbon mono detector
back up camera
22" flat screen with dvd
outside shower
extra coach battery
upgraded serta mattress
fiberglass front cap
full body paint:Latte
raised maple cabinetry
banks power system
front guard on grill and over bunk

This unit is really really clean and looks like the owner has taken extremely good care of it.

Dealer was asking 69,000 I got them down to 55,000

what is everyones thoughts on this?

Also..is it worth it to get the extended warranty>?

Any help would be extremely appreciated!
bpfriede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:49 PM   #2

Go to NADA's web site and look up your 2010 Sunseeker model 3100. Plug in the mileage of the unit you are looking at, see what values are shown, then plug in the additional mileage that you expect to put on it in a year. Don't worry about plugging in options since you are only looking for the difference due to mileage. That will tell you the depreciation to expect due to the mileage. Of course, you have to consider that you are buying retail from a dealer and may not be able to resell for retail.

I have noticed that NADA allows up to 15,000 miles the first year on a new motorhome without additional depreciation, but only 5,000 miles per year after the first year.

I'm curious about the "Banks Power System". Which Banks components are installed? Power chip, air filter, headers, exhaust?

As for the price, look at a new one. Bob Ledford's Adventure Motorhomes in Greer, SC, has new 2013 model 3100's (without full body paint) with a price on the window of under $60,000. If they are too far from you, check another Forest River dealer.

RV Motorhome dealer | New & Used RV Sales & Service |Greer, SC |Adventure Motorhomes

As another point, be sure the three of you can fit the sleeping spaces. We have a 2011 Sunseeker 3100. The dinette and couch make into beds, but they are both short for me and I'm only 5'10" tall. If one of your group is short, you will be fine. If all of you are 6' or more, well, you'll have to work it out.

Good luck with your golfing. Keep the forum posted about your purchase decision.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:10 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. That helps out alot, The RV does have alot of upgrades, but the fact that you could get a new one for around the same price does sound appealing! MY concern on new however is the depreciation. Would it matter though since it would be such a good price?

two of us are around 6 '3" and luckily the other is 5'8" so the size actually works out perfect!
bpfriede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:26 AM   #4

The 3100 at Ledford's wasn't stripped - it had some options, including the Onan generator. I don't remember the other options that were included.

The full body paint is around an $8,000 option. That's about equal to a year's depreciation.

The Banks engine modifications probably gives more power and maybe better gas mileage by about 5%, maybe more, so it is worth something. Go to the Banks web site to check out the price and use that to guess how much it actually adds to the value.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote