Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2016, 05:43 PM   #1

Thinking of going to a larger fifth wheel

Looking to trade in our 290 Crusader for a Redwood Cypress 36crl any thoughts or opinions. Having a hard time making the final decision
brireey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:22 PM   #2
Site Team

What's your TV and its specs?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:30 PM   #3

Truck is a 2012 F350 6.7 diesel single rear wheels. 7000 lb rear axle GVW 11,500
brireey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 02:35 PM   #4

I think you are going to be tight since adding weight most of it will be forward of the axles. Here is estimate of pin weights loaded. Estimating Tongue/Pin Weight from Dry Weights - Towing Planner

Check my weights since I could only find a 36RL...
Sold 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
Sold - 2015 Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel -
2015 Ford F350 SRW Cargo Capacity 3744
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 12:40 PM   #5

We have a 36 CKTS. It is great for go and stay but can be tough to park in tight quarters. It loves pull thru sites. If I had to do over I would not go over 32.
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 01:01 PM   #6

We just upgraded from a 35' 5th to a Heritage Glen F368RLBHK at 42' 5th.. Our manditory items were, Outside Kitchen, King bed, Washer prep, bunkhouse for spouse when sick or wants to watch TV / surf internet in peace, residential style square tub, residential style fridge and dual AC units for when we are in southern US.. last year we were in SC in July and 1 AC could not keep up..
Jeff from Burlington Ont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 01:45 PM   #7

Thinking Of Going To A Larger Fifth Wheel

I have virtually the same TV only a 2011. We're hauling a Sandpiper 360PDEK which is 42'. The F350 has a long box so we end up being just short of 60' which, definitely has its issues at times. However, I knew that going in and it was me who wanted to do the RV thing - we lived in it for 7 months last year. So to sell the wife on it I had to really step out of my comfort zone - the biggest thing I towed before was a utility trailer. The Sandpiper has the king bed, outside kitchen and TV, island counter but the clincher for the boss was the fold down patio at the back of the 5th wheel. This adds 7 1/2' to our length when we're parked. There has been a few occasion where we couldn't put the deck down. The size in general can be a negative at times. I tend to avoid the government parks because they are usually old which means they're not build to accommodate a big rig. That and twice I was talking to some university kid, on a summer job, who had absolutely no clue what 60 ft / 13' plus in height, looks like. So you really have to do your homework when picking a RV site. However, the positives far out weight the negatives i.e. the wife loves it!!!

As for the F350 - I've never been a Ford guy and I only bought this one because it was used and the right price. I have been more than impressed with its performance. I've had no issues with it hauling what is probably 20,000 pounds once we're loaded. We've been through the Canadian Rockies 4 times and other than some real steep grades I could stay at the speed limit.
Rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 01:59 PM   #8
Gold Miner At Heart

I think with TV you'll be fine. As far as going larger is a matter of personal preference. In 2011 we went from a 28' to a 36' and I regretted it. The difference in length for me was not worth the hassle when you have to get in and out of gas stations and like previous post stated tight turns. I have dropped back down to a smaller 5er. But that's just my opinion. Good luck with the decision.
Old 03-11-2016, 06:24 PM   #9

A Big Rig 5th Wheel Experiences

We are full-timers (3 years now) pulling a 43' 9" Sierra 376BHOK, using a 2005 F350 dually long bed Super cab with the ill-designed 6 litre diesel (that I have had modified to resolve Ford's design problems), so we are close to 65' bumper-bumper.

We have 2 bedrooms and bathrooms, and a big living area.There are three of us (3 adults: me - sorta', my wife and her sister, plus 2 golden retrievers). We modified the rear bunk-house to be a more accommodating adult bedroom.

As far as driving/towing, in my opinion, it will take some time to get used to the length, and gaining comfort with various maneuvers (parking, narrow streets, turning, and setting up in tight RV spots). Obviously the amount of time to become comfortable with a big rig 5er is dependent upon the driver. Practice in an big empty parking lot (backing up, fine adjustments, etc.).

In addition to dealing with the length of a long rig, learn how wide you need to turn to clear curbs, cars, people etc. My suggestion is to get some inexpensive orange cones from an auto parts store and set up practice scenarios. Also remember to keep a close watch on your height. In a built up area, I often find overhanging tree branches on the curb side lanes are not not always trimmed for clearance.

Probably one of the most stress reducing ideas to practice is to develop a communication process between you and your significant other (eg: cellphone, walkie-talkie, hand signals, whatever). Make sure you both learn and understand the limitations of each other and the rig. No yelling! I've found that hugs and kisses go a long way to sorting things out. If you are not 100% confident, stop, look over the situation, and determine what action to take.

Bottom line: We put about 10-15,000 miles/year on the rig, experienced a few minor dings where I messed up, but we love the rig, and the living comfort it provides.
fredcrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 12:24 PM   #10

Well ~~~~ my 5er is 35' and great for the 2 of us, just right in size and comfort. However,,,,,, I certainly would not miss 5' when backing or on tight roads in many CGs. My next RV will be either a shorter 5er or class a. Bigger is not always better in every instance.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 08:30 AM   #11

You are aware that redwood is no longer in business. I drove past their plant last week and it was vacant. Unless they have moved!
2011 Puma 295kbh
larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:12 AM   #12

larger 5th wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harkerr View Post
We have a 36 CKTS. It is great for go and stay but can be tough to park in tight quarters. It loves pull thru sites. If I had to do over I would not go over 32.

I think it depends on the person.

I went from a 33CKTS Cardinal (35' long) to a 36CKTS Cedar Creek (40'long) and have had no problems.

Even been to State Parks.

C.B.
cbvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:21 AM   #13

If you're going to a redwood, get a dually. They're heavy 5'ers with a heavy pin weight. That model has a GVW of #16 and a pin weight of #2404. Everyone Redwood I see are being pulled by a dually and a few owners I talked to, switched from a SWR to a DRW. Check out the redwood forum as well to see what the owners are using to tow that model with.

Those are some nice 5'ers, good luck on your choice
RollingDownTheHighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:22 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryo View Post
You are aware that redwood is no longer in business. I drove past their plant last week and it was vacant. Unless they have moved!
They have/Had 5 Plants,did you drive by all of them? Youroo!!
Old 03-28-2016, 09:26 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryo View Post
They're still in business, they have several plants, I know there were going to close one down, I guess that happened. Redwood is owned by CrossRoads RV
RollingDownTheHighway is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel, wheel