Now that Spring is coming around, there seems to be quite a few post about mold and mildew (mildew still contains mold spores and should be treated as such). I have stated my opinion several times and have had a few PM's from people letting me know they think I am wrong. I am just trying to put the info out there to keep you and your family safe and healthy.
This is a picture of drywall that I tore out of a house today. 6 months ago this family had a professional restoration company come in and repair and fix water damage to their 6 year old sons room. Some of the flooring, walls and carpet were replaced while others were treated. They used a bleach solution to "kill" any reamaining mold in the house. Today the child is at Childrens hospital and the restoration company will have a court date with the family when they sue. It states right in our building codes (which I have posted in other threads) that bleach will only discolor the stain of mold, it WILL NOT kill it, therefore it is in violation of city code to use it as a method of mold removal.
There are "chemicals" that you can buy that will kill the mold, but if you would prefer to not use chemicals where you are living and want to stay green, they do the exact same thing "white vinegar" does. Yes it doesn't smell very good at first but the smell goes away. Vinegar has been proven time and time again to be the most effective way, without harsh chemicals, to KILL mold. We get a lot of these calls and we remove a lot of mold these days because our company has been placed on the Better Business Bureau's Honor Roll for mold extraction.
Here is the other thread with some links.....................................
Need Some Help With Major Repairs
You guys can take it all for what it's worth and make your own decisions. I'm just trying to help keep everybody a little more safe. Spring is almost here! Happy Camping!