Old 04-04-2016, 05:59 PM   #1
those who camp with children

looking for ideas of jobs to assign the kids during setup/break down to make them feel included etc. what do the rest of you normally have them do?

raiderbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:37 PM   #2
Great question, heres a few that ours help out occasionally

Put boards at the 4 corners of the trailer for the stabilizer jacks.

Help me layout the rug under the awning.

Help unload the truck bed (bikes,
Chairs, firewood, etc)

Help me hang awning lights

2012 Ford F-150 EB Crew FX4 3.73 gears
2012 Micro Lite 23lb

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Tim & Tracy, Jennifer (14), Alyssa (10), our dog Jazy (5)

2012 Ford F150 EB Crew FX4 3.73 gears
2012 Flagstaff MicroLite 23LB
Previous TV: 2006 GMC Envoy Denali 5.3L V8
2005 GMC Envoy SLT 4.2L I6
DisDad01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:42 PM   #3
Our kids love to help...with tire chocks (that is SUPER supervised!) managing pieces for water hookup, awning out, outdoor rug down, mirrors in (we have a Class C), slides out. There's always the popular "Help me get your bike off the rack so you can ride - just around the loop! Where is your helmet?" so my better half and me can set up without any interruptions ;-)
Lynlanning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:44 PM   #4
Excellent suggestions! Thanks so much

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
raiderbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:23 PM   #5
Great topic!

Our boys are 11. They do the following:

1. Put out boards for jacks
2. Watch the levels for me
3. Use drill to put jacks down
4. Hook up water
5. Lay out the electric cord, but don't connect.
6. Open the slide
7. Start the A/C
8. Layout rugs, tables and chairs
9. Put awning out

What's left for us? Not much.
2013 F150, EBoost,4x4,CC, MaxTow
2015 Surveyor 245BHS

tragusa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:27 PM   #6
World Wide Wanderer
Depends on the type of unit and the age of your young'uns. By the time they were in their early teens they could set the entire camp by themselves, all dad had to do was drive.

Assign tasks based on age and ability, the key is to have everyone working towards a common goal. In my case it was a cold beer, for them a root beer.

Aaron & Rhonda
wahoonc & Airangel60

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:56 PM   #7
Like tragusa3's kids, our boys can do a lot because they are 11, 11, and 8; they:

1. KNOW SAFETY - not to walk between TT & TV or behind TT until the TT is chocked, etc.
2. Remove LEGO blocks & lay them out before I level left to right.
3. KNOW to stand clear when I am backing onto LEGO blocks & setting wheel chocks, however, can explain how far to back, etc...
4. Monitor front/back levels while I (still) operate tongue jack
5. Place pads & lower electric stabilizer jacks (they love to do this...)
6. (For safety/sanitation I still install X-chocks, hook up electric, water & sewer) but meanwhile they remove bikes from dinette fork-mounts & install front tires
7. DW & I still operate slide-outs as they monitor outside for clearances - this is mainly because I do not trust the longevity of our slide motors...
8. Layout rugs, tables and chairs & help setup a portable awning that keeps our chairs & bikes dry
9. Haul firewood to fire pit, trash to dumpster, walk dog, setup & clean picnic table, etc.
10. However, just like at home, they are not good at cleaning-up their room & somehow conveniently disappear when its time to do the dishes... Fortunately our TT has a door to their room & we resort to paper plates when camping...

I typically oversee the outdoor grill while my wife oversees the indoor electric grill but the boys help with meals: opening cans, heating-up canned veggies on the stove, microwaving stuff, flipping pancakes, etc. At this age they are also safe with campfire utensils like cast iron sandwich toasters, hot dog sticks, etc.
2011 RAM 2500 ST Crew Cab 5.7 Hemi
2011 Primetime 3150BHD Touring Edition
Days camped in 2016-36
Days camped in 2015-37; Days camped in 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:31 PM   #8
Funny no one mentioned dump duty! My kids and DW are invisible when that time rolls around! However my 13 year old can do all except drive, pull the pin, and final power plug in. Of course now that he can do almost everything he doesn't want to but the 8 year old is working hard to take his place!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
cwc510117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:25 PM   #9
I have three hooligans 8,11,12. The do the stabilizers, tongue crank, raising the roof bed supports, attach the Velcro for the pop up gizmos set up the canopy. Unload bikes stack firewood. This all until they get distracted and wander off to explore.
I have also had my middle boy help guide me when backing into a spot. I have also had them help me check the lights when hooked up before a trip.
My 12 yo helps cook on the outdoor stove, not the grill yet.
I let them take part in almost all aspects except hitching and unhitching. I try not to force them into doing any of the above. But I do enforce the leave cleaner than you found it motto.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
3hooligans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:32 PM   #10
Have the kids connect the Ipad to the campground WiFi network. It will save you hours of fiddling with it, oh wait, it will only take one of them 30 seconds.

2015 FR3 30DS
Towing 2016 Chevy Sonic LT
TLAK is offline   Reply With Quote