Old 11-10-2018, 02:24 PM   #1

Thoughts on how to secure expensive camera gear in my new Sabre trailer?

Hi Folks,

I have a lot of expensive camera/video gear that I travel with, and I'm wondering what others might be doing with their expensive property.

One fellow I spoke with recently said don't bother trying to install special locks and such as those are an advertisement to the thieves. Makes sense, but does one do? I like to hike and photograph, but I can't take all of my gear with me (drones, video gear, camera bodies, lenses, tripods, lighting, etc.).

Any thoughts on how to secure my stuff while I'm away for 5-7 hours?

2018 Forest River Sabre (cobalt), 30RLT
2011 GMC Sierra 3500 HD 6.0L Gas

Politically Incorrect since forever!
WhiteEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 02:42 PM   #2

i was wondering something similar

i will be full timing very soon, and will be giving up my safety deposit box

what do i do with my important papers, that i might want access to?

marc

Old 11-10-2018, 02:46 PM   #3
western NC mountains!

I don't think there's much you can do, special wise, other than lock your RV door like everyone else does. Unless you're advertising your business, or keeping all of these 'things' in plain sight, it's doubtful anyone would think there's anything in your RV to really go after...

but, the other question might be is all this expensive equipment insured properly, in the rare event it 'does' happen? Your RV policy is not designed to cover anything other than what came from the factory, not your clothes, belongings, or stuff you put into it, unless you have some special rider or endorsement on your policy, and only IF you have property damage coverage on the RV itself if it's on your auto policy with your tow vehicle.
Most folks dont' realize, but your HOME insurance policy, if you have one, or a RENTERS or CONDO policy, will be the policy that pays a claim for stolen 'personal property', even if it's when you are 'camping' in your RV. Do you have a rider or endorsement for all of this expensive equipment on your HOME policy? You should.

the only caveat to this is if you are a full-timer and your RV is insured as such, with not only 'personal property' coverages, but also 'personal liability', since your don't have a HOME policy to pay these claims.

The Turners
'14 Thor Palazzo 33.3 diesel
KingTailgater2 Dish, 200w/10amps mobile SOLAR
85,000+mi, US, Alaska, Canada, western NC for now : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 03:39 PM   #4

1-Donít advertise you have it
2-hide it in the RV
3-mount some sort of lock box under the bed, back of a closet, cabinet, etc

Btw, my State Farm TT policy covers $2k in property. I expect it could be increased to anything you want.

As noted above you might consider a single purpose policy for your equipment. It would cover events over and above RV theft.
2011 Starcraft 392BHU w/Andersen No-Sway hitch
chaps2018 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 04:54 PM   #5

Thanks guys, good advice all around. My insurance options are limited due to the high cost of insuring professional gear inside my company. I've avoided it so far, mainly due to the costs.

I may consider 'selling' my gear to myself and then get a rider to cover it personally. It seems like the best option so far.

Thanks again,

2018 Forest River Sabre (cobalt), 30RLT
2011 GMC Sierra 3500 HD 6.0L Gas

Politically Incorrect since forever!
WhiteEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:16 PM   #6
Who Dares, Wins

I secure all my gear on the shelf in the back.. If someone wants it they will get it. Especially in a rv since they are so cheaply built.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:21 PM   #7

I have a similar issue with my "hobby gear". I am able to keep it in locking cases that can also be secured to solid objects in my TT (like the sofa frame with chain/cable/lock. If one can gain entry to my TT it would take them hours to find and free up these items so they could leave with them. In the meanwhile they'd have to figure out how to silence the alarm that will be audible for miles once triggered. If I haven't left with the truck and my "valuables" I will be areal problem for the thieves, right quick.

FYI, cutting battery cables won't work and good luck finding the alarm.

Noise is the best deterrent and to avoid the traditional "smash and grab" use secure cases that are in turn secured so they can't just be grabbed and run off with.

In a campground with others near, good chance someone will stop person(s) before they leave and if not to that extent, call police.

If boondocking noise will probably draw more attention than the average thief wants. Lots of noise, even more.

Politically Incorrect since 1943

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:22 PM   #8
Just as confused as you

As for locking the door(s), using the deadbolt lock will make the door more secure as it is longer and thicker. It doesn't take much force with a crowbar to pop a door open when it is locked with the door latch. Many RV repair centers want you to lock the RV using the door latch lock when dropping it off for service so they can get in. If you lock the deadbolt they cannot use the master key to get in.
Camping since 1989, seasonal since 2000
Car Shredder Operator/Technician, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:27 PM   #9

Insure it, put it in a pelican case, enjoy your day. Works for us.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by -lenny- View Post
Insure it, put it in a pelican case, enjoy your day. Works for us.
^^^^^^^ but it's a good idea to add a padlock to the case where the holes are provided and secure the case with a separate cable to something solid.

Our local police department recently broadcast-ed a video showing a pair of burglars walking off from a house, each with a pair of "Pelican Cases" in each hand.

Politically Incorrect since 1943

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
sabre, trailer