Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2017, 03:26 PM   #1

Thoughts on rear kitchen units

For those with rear kitchen travel trailers or fifth wheels, what do you like or dislike about the floorplan? I have heard a few concerns over the years like cabinets will fly open and stuff will scatter, or they could be stern heavy (rear). Thus far I have not experienced these and wonder if they are myths or real. As for the floorplan we love the wide open space and view of the campsite, roomy bathroom and bedroom, generous cargo carrying capacity of over 3,000lbs, and 70 gals of grey tanks and so much more.
Old 01-27-2017, 04:08 PM   #2

We had a Rear Kit unit,loved it! Just remember "If it shakes it Breaks" placement and packing is important! There are Many Floor plans with R/K some work some do NOT,all up to owners choice! Youroo!!
Old 01-27-2017, 04:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
We had a Rear Kit unit,loved it! Just remember "If it shakes it Breaks" placement and packing is important! There are Many Floor plans with R/K some work some do NOT,all up to owners choice! Youroo!!
X2 - We had a 28RKX Wildcat Maxx and loved the layout. But ended up upgrading to a bigger 5th wheel for even MORE room.
Old 01-27-2017, 04:31 PM   #4

Our first fiver was a rear kitchen and still prefer those when looking at new RV's

Had it for 14 yrs - was still in amazing shape when sold with ORIGINAL equip all intact - even awning'n

Towed it everywhere even a trip to Disney in FLA from OH - had a traffic incident in downtown ATL on way there....came to a dead stop on 75 from full speed on Fri nite in middle of all five lanes when someone ahead stopped suddenly - was scared to open door later that night but everything was FINE - not one thing came flying out of the cupboards

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums 🇺🇸
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 05:43 PM   #5

The only other negative is I cannot access the frig with the slide in. But I can access the bathroom, bedroom etc.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:33 PM   #6

We own a Wildcat MAXX 28RKX and absolutely feel it's the best floor plan we've ever owned in all our RV's (and yes, we've owned 12 different RV's ranging from 3 diesel pushers, 3 travel trailers, a class B, a Scamp, 3 popups and a motorcycle fold out).
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 06:41 PM   #7

Love, love, love my OK. Just ordered a new unit with an OK. The unit I have for sale has an OK. That will make a total of 3 units I have had with an OK. I have had not trouble with it in regard to stuff flying around while traveling or any other issue for that matter.
Airlift system/on board compressor

speedcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 06:49 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedcat View Post
Love, love, love my OK. Just ordered a new unit with an OK. The unit I have for sale has an OK. That will make a total of 3 units I have had with an OK. I have had not trouble with it in regard to stuff flying around while traveling or any other issue for that matter.
They are asking about a rear kitchen trailer, not a trailer with an outside kitchen.
Big difference since there's way more stuff in cabinets and bigger fridges with more stuff. Plus they weigh more than an outside kitchen.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 06:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchleder View Post
We own a Wildcat MAXX 28RKX and absolutely feel it's the best floor plan we've ever owned in all our RV's (and yes, we've owned 12 different RV's ranging from 3 diesel pushers, 3 travel trailers, a class B, a Scamp, 3 popups and a motorcycle fold out).
I viewed some pics of the Wildcat Maxx 28Rkx, that's one nice trailer.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 10:48 PM   #10

As you can see, just about anybody who owns a rear kitchen loves it. What few problems there seems to be, everybody has compensated for and doesn't seem to be a big deal, if you don't mind dealing with the few inconveniences that come with it. Personally, we wouldn't own one, but that's because a rear kitchen is just not the type of floor plan we were looking for. They do open up the room quite a bit, but so does our mid-kitchen/ rear living. We like to look out the rear windows at our campsite, and you lose that with the rear kitchen. But...it's the floorplan that suits YOU, not anybody else.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 01:05 PM   #11

Rear kitchen

I have 2 friends who have them! Top cabinets are so hi they can't reach them and you must use all paper products be cause everything bounces and will shatter if you don't!
gmann32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 01:16 PM   #12

RSchleder - WOW - you have owned ALOT of different types... I cannot believe they ranged from a Motorcyle Fold out to Diesel Pushers... that's an impressive range...

I REALLY enjoy the comments from the participants of this site. There is so much knowlege. What a great tool to have when a problem arises. Thanks!
jdstrubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 01:28 PM   #13

We camped 3 seasons already with ours...never had issues with stuff moving around our falling.
The coffee machine is on the back counter on transit and don't move.
I guess all the horror stories carried around are myths !
The only downside is the fridge can't be reach with the slides in.
***3rd GENERATION EGG FARMER***
***WHO MADE YOUR EGGS TODAY ?
Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 01:37 PM   #14
RetiredRVer

We have a Heritage Glen 282RK TT....we like it, and it is our first new TT in over 30 years. But, we would like to purchase a fifth wheel, and it won't be a rear kitchen. Although we have enjoyed our current unit, we would like a middle kitchen this time. I believe a middle kitchen is better for weight distribution. We also cannot get our fridge open when the slide is in, and I don't like that inconvenience. We also had a couple of upper cabinets coming open when traveling, but since, I've learned how to better arrange things. Still, one must be careful what is placed in the upper cabinets, as stuff moves around a lot. So, looking for a Middle kitchen 5th, with a fridge we can get into when the slides are closed.
2017 Coachman Chaparral 336TSIK Fifth Wheel
2018 AT 18 Alaska group
checkmate99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 01:44 PM   #15

We had a 2006 Challenger 5th. wheel by Keystone, rear kitchen, wife hated the fact that things literally flew out of the cabinets. I had to put horizontal slats at each one of many doors to make the girl happy. Because of the added rear weight the axle location was way back to balance the trailer. That created a very long turning radius making it difficult to park in smaller State parks we enjoy. Then the prob. of no access to fridge. We decided to down size and bought a 2016 Wildcat tag along... Happy wife... Happy Life. Burk
Burk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 02:13 PM   #16

Rear Kitchen

Had one once for about six months on a 5th wheel and got rid of it. I hated everything about it. Too much weight on the rear of the rv. Their is no advantage to a kitchen in the rear of the unit.
bemilner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 02:19 PM   #17

We love our rear kitchen unit. Of all the units we looked at, this one provided the most kitchen counter space. Never had any problems with the o/h cabinet doors coming open. To be safe, we put a small bungy cord thru the cabinet door handles. True, you cannot access the fridge with the slide in, but I think positive on this. The closed slide does not allow the fridge door to open enough to spill the contents onto the floor while traveling. The wife lined the o/h cabinets with a rubberized mesh material to prevent slipping & sliding of the plates, bowls, cups, etc. She even places this material between each plate to prevent problems. Haven't lost any dishes yet due to traveling. Some say a rear kitchen unit will have more sway while towing, but I have not experienced this. It pulls like a dream except in Kansas with the high wind gusts!

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 02:30 PM   #18

I'm not a rear kitchen fan. We finely have a big rear window and side windows, let there be sunlight. We did the bunkhouse only one side had windows. another one had the beautiful fireplace/tv across the back, small side windows because of the slides, slide windows were just OK. Now we have an outside rear galley. I like light so we got a skylight over the island. Your choice depends on how much time you spend inside and how you entertain , usually the door is near the rear kitchen.
Old 01-28-2017, 02:39 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemilner View Post
Their is no advantage to a kitchen in the rear of the unit.
My wife would argue that statement.

#1 thing she hates about TTs and 5th Wheels is that nearly all floorplans have you enter the trailer right into the kitchen. Middle kitchen floor plans are the norm.

She hates people having to walk into the kitchen to get to the living room.
That's why she likes rear or front kitchen and front living room trailers.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 02:56 PM   #20

We never realized what an island does, people walk on out side away from the cooking area. You don't cut through when kitchen in use, could get the wooden spoon. We didn't like the kitchen opposite the main door either, even with the wing "L". The island near the door makes handing food out easier.